Aonther Scura clutch broken

Paul Minnaert

So this clutch 'malfunctioned' simply from high speed operation, not from power shifting or such?

What a #^*@ing joke! The engineers at Moto Guzzi should be ashamed with themselves. Imagine giving the green light to producing this clearly inadequete device, my head is shaking!

Ciao, Steve G.

Hmmm, this seems to be yet another example of the cretinism exhibited by the engineers during the Aprilia years. For others see the clutch wear problems on sigle plate Calis and the hydrauilic lifter fiasco which should NEVER, EVER of happened.

The tale is that Mr. Aprilia, (Wossisname???) sacked the whole sorry bunch of 'em after this series of disasters but who can tell?

I've always been of the opinion that guzzi engineering is bloody good. What has in the past let the side down is the bean-counters trying to save $20 on a bike and buying inferior crap from outside suppliers. I sincerely hope that this is still the case and the engineering is sound but I have my doubts.

Put it this way, If and when i get a V11 the first thing I'll do is strip it to the last nut and bolt and go through it with a fine-tooth comb. I'll crack test everything and since i've always fancied a scurra the clutch would be junked and I'd make something I could trust . I'm sure i could find something reliable of some shitbox Toyota I could adapt :D

Pete

Do you mean a 'different' type of noise?

or a more louder dry clutch type of noise?

I haven't heard it, I wasn't on the bike. But it was different.

The problem is, afterwards, because of the damage, it's not so easy to tell what caused the problem. Other than common sense enginering theories.

My guess that's from high speed comes because we still don't know about one in the USA, and had 2 in germany.

Lets remeber that the speed of the bike should be unrelated. Other than being bloody scary to the rider. (Been there done that, :doh: ooch.) The clutch is spinning only at engine speed not output speed. The failure could have happend in any gear and still be just as impressive. I have just over 8k miles on my Scura and ride it very agressively, even two up. Keeping my fingers crossed. :whistle:

Guest vkerrigan

I find the amazing thing about this is that he was able to keep the bike upright while having the rear wheel locked @ 135 mph. He's one very fortunate person.

My guess that's from high speed comes because we still don't know about one in the USA, and had 2 in germany.

The two German ones were apparently high speed. Maybe the blueing on the x-over section indicates how fast? Dunno about Roberto's (who caught it before it exploded). The one Zebulon mentions occurred at low speed - but maybe he was just slowing down from ...? Roberto, Zebulon any more information about how those bikes were ridden? I'm not suggesting clutch shouldn't hold up to high speed running but it'd be good to know what brings about failure.

In the photos of Paul's bike it seems clear the flywheel disintegrated, as Roberto's had started to also. In this new one the flywheel appears intact whilst damage is obvious on clutch/ring gear side (of course there may be a big chunk of flywheel missing on the other side...& there is a big whole in the crankcase...) - if flywheel is ok it may be different problem?

KB :sun:

Just read emry's post: Yes...but...sustained high speed (derestricted autobahn?) = sustained high revs. Riding agressively using the gears varies revs. This may or may not be relevant of course.

if flywheel is ok it may be different problem?

If I look at the pictures, the flywheel is under an angle, not where it should be.

If it didn't explode like mine, but only did what roberto's did, that is enough to let the startergear do it's damage. And when that starts, the result is clear.

Guest John T

Hmmm,

While 4 or 5 broken clutches is not very much at all considering the thousands of single plates running around, I do not care for the violent and destructive way they let go.

We need to find out more about this. The cases on the Scura look new....was this engine apart for the case replacement? Did the mechanic somehow contribute? (wrong torque)

I love my single plate clutch, works well and hooks up hard, but this would be an expensive fix......

We need to find out more........

Another factor may require clarification too.

Are the OE fitments RAM clutches or Guzzi copies.

If they are copies are the genuine RAM clutches going to be OK?

Does their construction differ?

Sorry if these questions have been asked & answered elsewhere.

Nige. <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(">

Guest John T

Are the OE fitments RAM clutches or Guzzi copies.

When I had mine apart for the cases, R.A.M was clearly visible. Maybe the "improved" Scura versions is a knockoff?

Guest John T

Here you can just make out R.A.M

The A is at 6 o'clock The bottom of the M is at 11 and the R you can't see at 2 o'clock.

Just read emry's post: Yes...but...sustained high speed (derestricted autobahn?) = sustained high revs. Riding agressively using the gears varies revs. This may or may not be relevant of course.

Although some sections of the autobahn are still unrestricted they are increasingly few and far between - at 220kph, the (legal) high-speed run would not last that long at all ! To be honest unless you ride at night or dawn you would be very lucky to find a run of more than a few km at this speed - most of the autobahns are just 2 lanes and full of VW camper vans and coaches in the summer (and the outside lane full of Porsches and Mercedes trying to overtake them).

From 15 years experience designing, building and mostly flying spacecraft I would have to guess that this is not necessarily a design flaw (with 4 known failures in thousands of single-plate bikes out there). It might be diesign contributing to other primary causes: -

1) substitute (inferior spec?) parts

2) poor maintenance or reassembly

3) manufacturing faults in flywheel or clutch?

I can check the german v11 site to see what theories are flying around there, but probably nothing we cannot guess at?

Jonathan

p.s. if its high-speed related its hard to see why it would happen on a dutch bike (the slowest roads in europe!) :rolleyes: