Aonther Scura clutch broken

Paul Minnaert

It's a big, nasty, scarey noise when it does it. I spent last night looking for external causes......

John,

You probably already did this but...Have you had a look thru the timing inspection hole on the r/side bellhousing? Remove rubber bung & you can see into clutch/flywheel ass'y. You can spin motor using rear wheel in high gear or alternator bolt (remove plugs to lose compression). Use a torch - will show you if anything's rubbing on the outside edges at least...

Hope everything turns out OK ...

Best wishes, KB :sun:

I'd be interested to know the history of the 4 Scuras (that we know here) who've had clutches/flywheels blow.

1. We know Roberto's bike had had clutch replaced already.

2. Paul's bike had had rear gearbox cover leak fixed - had clutch been apart also?

3. French one/Recent German one - anyone know if clutch had been apart at all?

Had these bikes been regularly run at high revs for long periods?

Any info gratefully received...

KB :sun:

I had thought about pulling the timing plug to see what's going on, but it hadn't occured to me to pull the starter. Thanks JRT!

I don't even know for sure that is where the sound is coming from but it's my best bet for now. Unfortunately now I'm reduced to commuting on my DR 350 with street knobbies on it. At least I have that. I hope to have some more time this weekend. We'll see what comes of it.

Thanks all :luigi:

• 3 weeks later...
see here a new feature of this forum, thumbnail images

33729[/snapback]

Looks like the Dynotec triple clamp is it ?

For our SUPER ohlins fork with radial calipers :drink:

:huh2: I would not bother with the dealer if they are anythink like mine, I complained about the clutch noise and slack in the drive to my dealer.

All's they kept saying was " they all make that noise sir" and " its more trouble than its worth to go through the claim system".

I was told to contact Guzzi/Aprilla direct with paint warenty issues and got knowhere, now my warentys out and I'm left with a bitter feeling towards the whole system.

If you can recomend a way for me to get hold of the engine paint I'll do the job myself. or perhaps a direct line to someone who cares at guzzi.

What a shame such a super bike is let down by such shabby indivuals.train

Thanks for the information, Paul.  :thumbsup:

I'll bend the dealer's ear on Monday!

Nige.  :moon:  :bbblll:  :(

33374[/snapback]

Guest watanabe

I am so sscared.

I ride 2002 naked green.

engine seems same as rossomanndelo,tenni,and scura.

Please tell me how to tell the difference between

singleplate and dualplate without disassembling engine case.

My bike rattles while holiding clutch lever likeDUCATIs.

So can I take it there are no instances of the genuine RAM clutch (as fitted to the Rosso Mandello) failing in a fashion similar to the 'improved' :not::bbblll: Guzzi version as fitted to the Scura & Tenni?

Whilst this board was down I posted a fairlydetailed notification message to the Moto Guzzi Owners Club Great Britain Yahoo Group board.

After a week there has not been one acknowledgement, let alone comment. I don't know why I bothered! :angry:

I spoke to my dealer on this issue & he contacted Guzzi about it. The response he reported to me was that there was not a recall for it because an insufficient percentage of that model have suffered this failure!

Maybe they want to wait until someone is maimed or killed! :angry::angry::moon::vomit:

He went on to say that if he exaggerated the state of the noise of the clutch he may be able to get a replacement...but only a direct replacement of the original flawed design. :(

I haven't given up on this yet...It is a safety issue & whoever owns the company has a vested interest in resolving it quickly.

Maybe a letter to Motor Cycle News is in order?

Nige. :unsure:

Ballacraine,

I can't really address your specific questions, but I do have a related comment. You'll note a couple of posts up I mentioned that the clutch on my 1974 Eldorado (same as 850GT) was starting to act funny. I took it apart, and one of the riveted clutch friction plates had come off. Completely. I replaced the entire clutch and flywheel with a RAM clutch that I purchased from MGCycle. The weight savings is tremendous. The stock flywheel/clutch weighs in at 23 pounds (or 1.6 stone for you metric types :P ). The RAM clutch weighs 10 pounds, and comes fully assembled. It's a bolt on affair once you've gotten to it.

Anyhow, the point of all this is that I have a RAM clutch now, with all of 100 miles on it. So far, so good. I'll let you know if I have any issues, but it looked quite substantial when I was putting it on my bike- I really doubt it's going to come apart. Granted- I won't be exploring the same rpm range as I do on the sport, but after looking at it, I also wouldn't hesitate to install one on my sport.

I put up some pictures on a website:

http://www.avalon.net/~jrt/clutchjob/clutchjob.html

Cheers,

jason