'01 vs '04 Handling

Guest Tony

Despite having sag and other suspension components set up on the Café Sport correctly, I couldn’t get the handling nearly as “light” as on my old '01 V11S (160/60 on a 4.5” rear wheel….the 170 to 160 switch thanks to posts on this forum). BTW, the owner’s manual, both printed and on-line, says the Ohlins fork adjustments are compression on top and rebound on the bottom. I called Ohlins USA, and they laughed, saying those Italian translators are crazy, and that the compression is on bottom and rebound on top as with all Ohlins forks.

Anyway, first, I thought it was the greater rear weight bias with the more upright handlebars, and/or the longer wheelbase on the newer model. Then, I remembered my old ST-2 with a 5.5” rear rim came stock with a 170/60 rear tire, and that when I changed to a 180, the handling got “heavy”, so, at the next Ducati tire change, I went back to the 170, and the “light” handling was back.

Each of the 180/55/17 SportTec rear tires lasted about 2.5k on the Café Sport. At about 5.2k miles, I decided to try a set of Z6’s with a 170 on the rear.

Like a different bike! I could not believe the difference! This is the way this bike should handle!

The profile difference between the SportTec and the Z6 doesn’t seem to be that much different, and the 3mm taller 170 rear ( 170x60 minus 180x55) couldn’t have changed the rake that much. So it must be the width. The 170 doesn’t “look to narrow” on the rim, and the 170 is listed as an optional tire size for a 5.5” rim on some Japanese bikes (older VFR,ZX-6,etc.)

That’s my experience. YMMV

TonyBologna..

...180, the handling got “heavy”, so...I  went back to the 170, and the “light” handling was back...Like a different bike! I could not believe the difference! This is the way this bike should handle!...So it must be the width...the 170 is listed as an optional tire size for a 5.5” rim

Tony,

I found same. 180 is there cos it looks big & it's what people want to see no matter power outputs - same for oversize 5.5" rim.

KB :sun: