Fitting a Sigma bike computer

Guest BallabioJoj

Guest BallabioJoj

Hi all, Back again at last.

Now with 4400km on the Ballabio I decided I needed a clock (always getting lost and in trouble with the better half!).

The clock options from H.Gericke and POLO seemed expensive and tacky so the best option seemed to be a cycle computer.

The new Sigma range includes the BC1200 which has all the features of the old BC800 but a better twist-on fitment/removal of the main unit to the holder, and also some new displays (day/distance, stopwatch etc.)

The supplied lead with the BC1200 is easily long-enough for the V11 (even on Ballabio bars) so the rear-mounted option is a luxury.

The magnet fits well on the brake disc with tie-wraps but there is absolutely nowhere to fit the pick-up sensor (I tried everything!). The only option is to wrap the sensor to the end of the brake line (right-side is best as the cable follows the brake line alll the way from the handlebar).

The magnet must then be glued to the rim. I tried UHU 2-mix epoxy but after leaving it 2 hrs (fast set mixture) the magnet detached at 130 kph this afternoon :(

The magnet used is the separate Sigma item that is sold by H.Gericke and POLO for about 2 euro. Cutting the rear rubber mount provides a better surface for epoxy. Splitting the rear plastic section away from the front magnet/housing does lower the profile but its hard to get a flat surface for the epoxy to bond to. Thats why I lost this first attempt.

Over the first 15km its clear my speedo is optimistic (120kph ind. = 107 kph real).

The setting for the wheel diameter is 600mm (M1 Sportecs) = 1885 in Sigma units.

With the OEM M.Guzzi tankbag the computer is best located in the centre of the bars between the two mounts. It can be seen over the tank bag if the extension section is not in use.

....thats all for now. will take some photos when its all finished!

Jonathan

ps. great to be back! :mg:

Cool :thumbsup:

I tried to fit the Specialized computer a while back, but it didn't look right with the very "analog" look of the V11 cockpit. So in the end I realized I only really cared about a clock, and would like to have a thermometer. So I went with Formotion clocks.

I also had the issues with pickup placement as you did. I never did work it out though, as I lost interest as noted above.

Glad to hear you worked it out though!

al

I put a BC800 on my bike, and I have also fitted handlebars. The lead is just barely long enough. I epoxied the sensor on the front, right slider underneath the fender. The wire runs up the brake line, under the fairing and the BC800 is mounted on the handlebars. I had to remove the fender to mount the sensor, but now the fender mosty hides it. For a magnet, I used a Radio Shack rare earth magnet and glued it under one of the 'cut-outs' on the brake rotor so centripetal force won't rip it off. Rare earth magnets are highly directional, so you have to orient them properly or they will not set the sensor off. Properly oriented they work much better than stock magnet.

Amusingly, the speedo and the speedo seem to agree with each other. I would never have predicted that.

Cheers,

Jason