auldy

Hi all,

have just started as a new member today and picking up a 2002 V11 Scura tomorrow. I have posted in the 24/7 area also for any model info. I am living in Sydney and been out of the scene for a while with the usual family commitments, but the kids are near the self sufficient stage, allowing finances for another bike. I have previously owned numerous japanese machines along with a K100RT, MK 111 850 Lemans, 860 GTS Ducati, 900ss Ducati bevel and Hailwood Replica Mille.

Like a fellow new member, I had beed choosing between a Ducati ST2, A Cagiva V Raptor and a V11 Scura. At 47 years old, a mechanic by trade, I like to do my own servicing if possible. Whilst a big fan of the Ducati bevel motor, I had concerns with the ST2 regarding maintainence for watercooling, toothed rubber belt maintainence, desmo valve adjustment and having to remove the fairing to check the oil and other maintainence, the Guzzi wins hands down. I am picking it up tomorrow as a project, hobby and long term bike. This Scura has been classified as a cosmetic damage insurance write off with the main damage being broken fairing, gear lever, back blinker and rear brake lever. There is also extremely minor abrasions to the pipes and left rocker cover. The bike has no rego but has good rubber, motor and is straight. At $10,000.00 Australian I feel it is a great bargin.

Looking foreward to utilising the great features and information from this site and its members

Regards

Auldy

Hi auldy -- I'm in the midlle of a similar choice to yours. I love the handling and power delivery of the ST2. On the other hand, the fairing make it seem bland and complicates maintenance - I do my own work also. The V11 has way more charisma, and is simpler to maintain. I had decided to go with a V11, but then I starting reading through the forum and some of the reported problems turned me off. I have been assured by those who know that these reported problems are not necessarily representative, so I'm feeling better about choosing the V11. Good luck with yours! - Chris