2005 UK V11 Rally

V11UK

... Partly as Baldini and I both indicated that we couldn't do two seperate meetings close together....

Hey don't blame me!

I'd like to get to the V11/Buell meet & indeed may, but it's a bit of a trek for a family man...I'd be too knackered to enjoy meself before it was time to go home again.

I've been thinking of sorting a Welsh camping w/e next summer but I'm too idle to have done anything about it yet....

KB :sun:

• 3 weeks later...
Make this meeting somewhere near Stranraer. Hopefully we can then make it in a day 

John

39478[/snapback]

Hi John, I'm not sure about the dates yet, but are you definitely thinking of going? If so, you could of course get to my place in a (long) day and then get the Stranraer or Cairnryan ferry next morning. Any chance of taking some extra time? It would be a shame to go to Spean Bridge and straight back again. It would be a good starting point for some more excellent riding. Lots of choice, including the Road to the Isles. If I go, I would want to do that.

Best wishes, David

• 1 month later...
antonio carroccio Posted Yesterday, 08:28 PM

QUOTE(V11UK @ Nov 4 2004, 04:57 PM)

It will be Scotland 15th/16th/17th July 2005 

Chris, is this the definitive date?

Antonio, the dates were confirmed in

V11 and Buell Weekend July 2005, A Highland Fling

Pinned at the top of page,

Hope you can make it, I'm booked in allready. Be nice to see you there

Guest PAULSMART
Hey don't blame me!

I'd like to get to the V11/Buell meet & indeed may, but it's a bit of a trek for a family man...I'd be too knackered to enjoy meself before it was time to go home again.

I've been thinking of sorting a Welsh camping w/e next summer but I'm too idle to have done anything about it yet....

39491[/snapback]

Ditto for me - any ideas of riding to Scotland are out.

I would be up for camping in Wales though....... At the least, Keith, we must coincide a ride this summer and meet somewhere in Mid Wales??

Paul Smart

...I would be up for camping in Wales though....... At the least, Keith, we must coincide a ride this summer and meet somewhere in Mid Wales??...

Paul, For sure, still in the back of my mind to try & arrange something... hey! it's only 46 weeks til Christmas...:drink:

Antonio

Yes, the 2005 UK V11 :mg: (with Buells) meeting is 15th/16th/17th July - all details are shown in the 'pinned' section at the top of this page. If you need any further help or information, please ask.

Can somebody give me a hints how to get over there? In the UK I mean.

Can I go to Calais and make a ticket and take a boat and….?

Or do I have to make a reservation at some shipping company?

From Dover to the meeting place is about 800 km. It will be a long ride for me.

Maybe I will come with my wife and maybe I do have taken a pitstop to rest the asses.

Somebody does know some alternative solution?

Ideas?

Suggestions?

Antonio

Antonio

A few suggestions for you:

Rotterdam to Hull - a lot less riding and petrol for you but fairly expensive on the ferry - which you have to pre-book. P&O are good with bikes. Hull to the location in Scotland is approx. 371 miles/597 km.

Jane and I are 60 miles/97 km from Hull so it would be easy to meet up with you and save you some money.

Frequent sailings on the Calais to Dover route and you don't need to pre-book with a bike. Dover to the location in Scotland is 592 miles/953 km.

Can somebody give me a hints how to get over there? In the UK I mean.

Can I go to Calais and make a ticket and take a boat and….?

Or do I have to make a reservation at some shipping company?

From Dover to the meeting place is about 800 km. It will be a long ride for me.

Maybe I will come with my wife and maybe I do have taken a pitstop to rest the asses.

Somebody does know some alternative solution?

Ideas?

Suggestions?

Antonio

43354[/snapback]

Hi Antonio

You can get the overnight ferry from Rotterdam to Hull (in the North Of England), disembark in the morning with a hangover then have a pleasant ride up to Scotland.

Best to make an early reservation as the sailing gets busy at that time of year. You need to book with P & O ferries. You will get a cabin but may need to bring your own ratchet straps to secure your bike as they tend to give you crappy bits of greasy rope.

You are looking at a journey of around 700kms from Hull up to Spean Bridge depending upon which route you take. If you have time, I would take the scenic route and take in the Yorkshire Dales, Pennines, Borders, Trossachs and Cairngorms and do it over 2 days. Some spectacular rides through hills and mountains. Take your waterproofs and plan your fuel stops (if in doubt fill up!) in the Highlands.

The alternative is to shoot up the boring A1, then the A9 if you are short of time. School holidays will have started by then so I would be tempted to stay off the busy main roads and scrub in the edges of your tyres.

Let me know if you decide to go and need a hand planning a good route.

Regards

Guy :bike:

P.S You can also get a ferry from Amsterdam to Newcastle which lands you further up North but I have never tried this crossing so I do not know what it is like.

Antonio

probably your best bet is to take the ferry from IJmuiden (near Amsterdam) to Newcastle, it puts you further north than Hull and closer to Scotland.

It is also an overnight ferry (14 hours..same as Rotterdam to Hull) but usually costs less than the Hull crossing, check out:

http://www.scanbritain.nl/overtochten/dfdstimetable.htm

or http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/dfds.htm

succes

Mal :helmet:

I had breakfast in Spean Bridge this morning on the way back from Applecross- the roads around there are bloody brilliant!

The heavy snowfall meant I was on four wheels unfortunately but I enjoyed the scenery none the less.

Guy :helmet:

I had breakfast in Spean Bridge this morning on the way back from Applecross- the roads around there are bloody brilliant!

The heavy snowfall meant I was on four wheels unfortunately but I enjoyed the scenery none the less.

Guy  :helmet:

43821[/snapback]

I am well up for a Welsh weekend and could help sort one out!! Not been here for a while! Now just a V11 owner sold my Mille! Divorce is a shit!