Corbin Seat Experience-Al, your help needed!

Guest Scura Owner

Guest Scura Owner

I tried a Corbin seat on my Scura recently and I was wondering if my experiences were typical.

I found the seat to be of good quality. But to make it latch I had to raise the Scura's latch mechanism about 10mm since the latch pin on the seat was too short to latch properly. This required the addition of spacers and new longer bolts to replace the stock bolts. Once the mechanism was raised, the seat fit pretty well. There was a uniform gap, which was larger than with the stock seat, but not bad.

I had a problem adjusting to design of the seat. The seat is higher, which I appreciated, giving more room to the pegs. The seating area was much different than the one I had on an old Ducati 900SS. The Corbin Duc seat was pretty flat in the seating area which allowed side to side movement. The MG seat has more of a dish to it. The back of the seat seemed to be too far back. I felt like Superman trying to reach the bars with my buns positioned against the back of the seat cut out. It was so far back I tried using the rear pegs for confort. I felt the seat should have been designed such that the back of the seat was a few inches further forward. I ended up seating forward outside of the dish.

Al had a Corbin seat made for his bike. So I was wondering, Al-Was your seat modified from the stock layout? Did it latch up correctly without modification? Do you seat against the back of the seat? Has anyone else had any experience with the Corbin V11S seat? Thanks

Hey there Scura owner =)

Well, I'll try to answer your questions in order...

I would also direct you to my review in the "old forum" section, where I detailed my experience with Corbin, and the seat.

Regarding your first question about fit: Since the pans of the Corbin seats are more-or-less hand-laid resin on a form, I can only assume that the final fit of each seat will be a little different. If they took too much or not enough off of the resin to attach the pin, I can certainly see where you may have a hard time fitting it properly. In my case, the seat needs a slight push down on the tail and it latches, and it is a tighter fit to get it latched than the stocker, however it has gotten easier over the last few weeks... so something is stretching a little, which I can only assume is the seat-pan, as there is nothing else that could really "give". All in all it fits very well on my bike, and I like that the fit of the latch is more "positive" than stock. However I too would have been disappointed if I had required actual modification of the stock latch to make it fit.

My gap along the bottom of the seat is also slightly greater than stock, but is also very uniform and looks fine. The rest of the fit, at least on my bike, it spot-on with the stock unit.

So bottom line, each seat will probably fit each bike a little bit differently, but it should *fit*. If you have to do anything too dramatic, I am certain that Corbin would make it right for you.

Regarding the design of the seat: When I first sat on the unfinished "stock" Corbin V11 seat, the back of the seat "dish" was indeed waaaay too far back for me as well. I had them add almost 3 inches of foam to the back, then shape it accordingly. They also sanded/sculpted/removed/dished out about 1/2 inch in the seat so that I would have more of a horn/rise at the front of the seat. This worked out well for me in regard to comfort, fit, and height, as my inseam is only 30 inches :rolleyes:

If you ordered yours from the catalog or online, you would have received their "custom" seat for the V11, but it would have been their "stock" design that is designed for the masses, so it is likely that some aspects may not have fit your physique exactly. I know it didn't mine.

The moral of the story here is, if you can get to one of the two Corbin factory showrooms here in Hollister, CA or Daytona, FL(USA)... and have your seat custom tailored(for no extra cost, and a free lunch to boot!!) I can't recommend it enough.

But if you have to order it, and I personally haven't tried that method, I would recommend trying to describe your physique and them over the phone. Worst case, you could order the seat, try it out, make notes, then send it back for tailoring. My experience with Corbin is that they will "make it right".

But all in all, I can't be happier with my seat :D It fits me well, and looks really great on the bike.

I'd say give Corbin a call and see if they can make some alterations based on your observations. I bet after you have that done, you'll be much more impressed. They can also lower the pin a few mm so that you don't have to modify your lock mechanism.

Hope that helps!

al

Guest Scura Owner

Al, thanks for your response. I am concerned about the difference in latching. There was no way that it would latch with the stock set up. Adding the shims to raise the mechanism a quarter of an inch did the trick. It still required a significant push to get it to latch. I am curious if the wrong pin was installed. So if it is not too much to ask... could you measure how long is the latch pin on your Corbin seat (overall length and distance from the base of the pin to the end of the notch)? My latch bracket has one washer under each side. Is your the same? Again your assistance is much appreciated.

Guest Ed Vanaman

Can the pillion cover still be used with the Corbin seat?

After a 400 mile ride Saturday I realized I need a different seat

Ed V

Scura #370

OK, sneaky "Scura Owner".... you managed to slip by the gas-mileage poll and remain anonymous... now I'm thinking I won't answer your questions until you register! :rolleyes:

...ah well, I don't have the heart *laugh*

Well, I went and measured the pin on my seat. The pin is ~23mm long. This is the exposed part of the pin past it's plate, not including the length all the way through the plate. Does that make sense? Anyway, these measurements are from the top edge of the plate.

See I'm being global and using the metric system :D

In order... the first edge of the notch is 3mm up from the plate, the second edge is ~10mm, and the tip of the pin is ~23mm.... or "down" if you are looking at the seat on the bike.

Now, I didn't measure any of this from the seat-pan itself, because as I mentioned, the pan is hand-laid resin. So each seat is going to vary by quite a bit. The bracket/plate on my seat was mounted with one ~1.5mm rubber washer between the braket/plate and the seat-pan.

My stock latch has one ~.5mm silver washer under the latch. But that's it.

With all of this in mind, my seat fits great. I have to gently push down to squish the rubber bumpers under the seat, but it latches firmly and "jumps up" when I unlock it. A very nice fit.

My thoughts are still that your pin may be a bit too low on the seat-pan, and would ask Corbin if they could adjust it appropriately. Or you could do what you have done and raise the latching mechanism just a bit. Either method should have the same effect. But I'm sure Corbin would make it right if you inquired.

Ed - Short answer, yes you lose the ability to use the seat cowling, as that bolts to the stock seat, and the shape of the Corbin doesn't allow room for a cowl.

Long answer... since the Corbin seat is more-or-less a "fastback" design, this already mimics the visual effect of the cowling, PLUS you can now have a passenger without needing to remove anything. From a distance, you wouldn't know the difference, except that the new seat isn't "shiny".

...and that's always been the catch-22 with seat-cowlings in my opinion. They may look nifty, but when you get an opportunity to carry a passenger or cargo, where do you put the thing when you have to remove it??

Anyway, it's certainly a matter of personal taste, but I like the seat better than the bolt-on cowling. It looked like an afterthought, especially since it was another color, and the Corbin seat solution looks more integrated. Well, that's my opinion anyway :P

Currently, my seat-cowling is bolted to my stock seat... safely packed away and gathering dust.

al

• 2 months later...
Guest Scura Owner

Ed and/or Al-

I got my Corbin seat back after a 6-week wait. Initially, I asked for a "Close" and they sent a regular one. I sent it back asking to move the seat forward 1.5 inches and to fix some alignment flaws in the base. The new seat was still not a "Close" version. And I am still having problems with the seat fit (they just recovered the original base.) After some investigation I figured out that the relays are hit the seat base. I had to reposition them to get them out of the way. The original Siemens mini-relays may have fit but they have long been history. In order to get the seat to latch I still have to move the seat latch up 3/8". The rear grommets (contact points) do not come close to making contact. Also, the online catalog now states the seat does not fit the Lemans. Did either of you have any of these problems?

Ed-I have the MG rear-sets on my Scura and you have seen them on my bike at the BBQ. Send me your phone number I could give you a call.

Thanks in advance.

Guest John Sears

I have Corbins's "stock" seat for my V11 Sport, ordered online, and have had exactly the same experience with it as described by Al. It latches with a pretty firm push, with no mods to the latch system necessary, and pops up when I release it. It has gotten a little easier with time, as I think the rubber feet that contact the bike frame are breaking in.

I agree, the seat back is way too far back, and I probably won't ever contact it unless I decide to really get low on a long trip or something, but I like to clamp onto the tank tightly, so I'm riding right up front on the seat. I might send it back to Corbin for some extra padding, like Al, but it's not that big of a problem. I've had to get used to the higher seating position, too - now (at 5'9", 30" inseam), the toes of my boots touch the ground, instead of the whole bottom! And I'm feeling it in my arms and wrists a little, too, as I'm leaning down onto the (stock) clip-ons a little more.

No problems with under-seat clearance for relays, etc.

All-in-all, I really like it. I think it looks much better than the stock seat. The only disappointment for me was that I ordered the Smooth Black, which looks great, except I wish the leather was a little darker black, more like the black bodywork of my bike. It's really more like very dark grey leather. But it still looks great! For winter commuting in the rain, though, I'm thinking about going back to the stock, just to preserve the Corbin - I don't know if that's really an issue, but I may do that.

Anyway, FWIW,

John

Guest joemodestocausa

No. The pillion cover cannot be used with the Corbin seat. Too bad, otherwise I would have one made in a flash...I live only an hours ride from the Hollister factory. If enough people call Corbin and ask that the cover be retained, maybe they would make the adjustment. FWIW Corbin has recieved a LOT of bad press lately in MCN, so thay should be doing what they can to counter that. I've personally bought two seats from the factory and have been very happy with both.

I'm considering getting my seat custom made to help with my rear and to get the passenger accomodations better.What experience has anyone had with this.I know of Corbin and Sargents.Since I live no where near either Florida or California, it's going to have to be communications by e-mail or on the phone.I'm worried about getting the seat just right for me and my passenger(I don't care about the seat cowl being usable).Any other recommondations? :rolleyes:

Scura,

Sorry to hear you are still having some trouble.

I'm surprised to hear that your relays are hitting the seat pan. I've got the Bosch units, which are taller, but mine clear with some room to spare. As I've mentioned, I believe the pans do vary because they are hand-laid, so it's certainly possible that yours is different. My rubber feet/grommets are a perfect fit/alignment.

Also, regarding the distance on the seat-back, I had Corbin add a good 3 inches to the back of the seat so that I could sit forward and still feel like I had some back support. What's also interesting, and testament to the varying end-results, is that my seat isn't any higher than my stock seat. BUT I also had them shave the sides of my seat so that it wasn't as wide, which lets me sit lower.

All-in-all, still very satisfied with my seat, and there just isn't any substitute for going to the factory and working with them to get it right... if that is an option.

al

If you want a seat with pillion cover retained you might contact rmaund@pinn.net. I've heard many good comments re the quality and comfort of his seats. He has a V11 Sport himself which he can send you a photo of..complete with his seat. Both price ($280 I think) and turn-around time were very good.

Yep, I'd recommend contacting him as his seats get great reviews, but the last I heard... he wasn't taking any more orders for seats or anything else for a loooong time, as he was very backordered.

I don't know if this is still the case though... but just an FYI :unsure:

al

Al and All

I am very much back in business. I took most of the summer off to care for my Mom when she was in the end stages of her cancer. She passed away at the end of July. I have been back hard at work since then. There have been times I have been booked up three months in advance. But that isn't the case now. I am booking appointments a couple weeks in advance right now. I turn most jobs around in a few days.

I have to get back to work right now. But I will get back on here later to post some photos of my work.

Great forum!

Rich Maund

Folks

Here is a good photo of the two up seat on my own V11S. The rack system holds a pair of Givi e360 bags. The passenger backrest bolts onto the rack. This is a very comfy set-up. 500 miles days are fun on it. The front has had the step moved forward one inch. The passenger portion was raised and reshaped for best support. The front of it is cpvered by a sheet of gel as well. I cut it, blend and bevel the gel to match the shape/contours of teh seat. Tell me what you think.

Rich Maund

V11S2_upL.JPG

Yo Rich,

Don't show too many your seat.I'm next in line for my Lemans and I drool in anticipation just thinking about it! :P

People are going to be beating your doors down to get one made for themselves.

Seriously I'm looking forward to getting this done.

Didn't get those samples today,maybe tomorrow. :)

Jim