Corbin Seat Experience-Al, your help needed!

Guest Scura Owner

Jim

The samples were mailed to you Monday. Big brown envelope. First class mail. You should have them soon.

After rebuilding over 160 Cali and EV seats, I welcome new projects like this! There's been a few times that I found if I had to look at another EV seat... I would scream. I don't like doing the same thing over and over again. I finally compromised and refused to do more than 2 of those a week with other projects in between. A couple years ago when demand for my EV seat mod peaked, I stayed booked up three months in advance with folks wanting them.

Hard to believe now I have done this for seven years and for the last three, I haven't held a "real" job. ;-)

Life is good!

Rich Maund

Sounds like a"real job" to me.

I went to school for forrestry, and helped an electrician part time to pay for school.When i found out that they don't pay that well in forrestry, i became an electrician.Twenty five years Later...... <_<

• 1 month later...

I am looking for a seat that has a fold up pillion. I saw one once on a VFR, but I do not remember who made it. With the "sissy bar" laying down it looked like a solo seat with a hard cowl, like the Scura's seat with its cover. When you pressed the locking pin the cowl would rotate back exposing a pass. seat with a padded "sissy bar." Very cool. I am looking for either the company that orginally made a seat like this or someone who would be willing to tackle it.

Emry

Corbin produced seats like that.

One problem to look out for though. Many of their seats with backpads installed right into the seat base use a heavy square steel tube to support the backpad. And it often runs right under your tail bone often less than 1/4" under the cover! I have had customers send me these seats asking me to remove the backpad hardware, fill in the foam and recover the seat. This due to the seat causing them severe pain from the pressure on their tail bones. That was a really stupid way to design a seat IMHO. If it can't be done well, it shouldn't be done. Period.

Due to many things I have seen in Corbin seats made in the last ten years I now refuse to rework them for customers. Same for anything made by Sargents. Like a Barber fixing a home haircut, I can't stand the thought of working extra hard on a job that was unsatisfactory to begin with, but the person spent good money on it anyway. Then I get stuck fixing it.

I know many people like Corbin seats. I have admired many of their designs over the years myself. But I recommend a buyer look VERY hard at any seat they buy since compromises in design often occur. There are many seat builders out there now whose build philosophy seems to be "Style over function". With the average American rider now riding under 1000 miles per year, the "average" rider will have no problem with this. but if you are a bike enthusiast who rides your machine, it should cause you deep concern.