2003 Rosso Corsa gearchange problem

kenr

Been reading the forum for a while now and finally signed up last night - if I'm not out on the bike I'm reading about them now !

I picked up a 2003 Rosso Corsa just a couple of months ago and after a few weeks it developed a problem - changing from 2nd into 3rd became really difficult and I had to let out the clutch and back off on the revs before it would finally go in. It was a lot worse when pulling away hard. When I change down from 3rd into 2nd the gearchange would stay down and then suddenly spring back up against the bottom of my foot.

I took it back to the dealer who told me that 'the rollers needed cleaning' and they repaired it under warranty. Anyway a few weeks later and its starting to do it again !

I have read about al the known problems with the return spring but my problem seems to be slightly different - the bike does go into gear (eventually) and nothing seems to have actually broken.

I can take the bike back to the dealers and have it looked at agin, but wondered if anyone has any similar experience so hopefully they can nail the problem properly this time ?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest callithrix

Was having simialr problem with my 03 lemans. Bike shifted flawlessly when I first got then gradually worsened and eventaually ended up doing the same thing yours is doing. It was also getting a lot of false neutrals.

Played with the linkage system with little results. Changed the tranny fluid and added moly to the tranny with no improvement. Rode it hoping it was just some "growing pain" break in quirk; no improvement. Finally took it to the shop. First time was told by the technician it was the nicest shifting guzzi he had ridden. Felt like a fool took the bike back and had it do the same thing. Second time brought it back and finally had them take it apart. It helped in my case that the shop owner knows me, knows I have two Leman's, and knows that i'm not some whiny crackpot.

They discovereed an out of line component in the shifter mechanism. I can't remember the part # but i'll check it for you when I can. It's a really cheap component like $20and resembles a dog bone. While the tranny was apart personally inspected and measured the shifter spring and shifter boss; both were fine. Haven't gotten the bike back yet, so can't confirm if the issue has been resolved or not. :bike:

Thanks Callithrix.

I have probably only done a couple of hundred miles since I got the bike back so, although it was definitely better after they looked at it, I'm not sure exactly what it is they did that it could start playing up again so quickly (they obvioulsy didnt address the root cause of the problem).

btw - the bike has done 2300 miles and they told me it would get better if I run it in for longer, but its hard to run it in when you cant change in and out of 3rd gear smoothly, and it definitely spoils any fun riding it !

Guest callithrix

My bike started exhibiting this problem at about 1k and continued until I had it taken apart at about 4k; it didn't improve. I know guzzi's have a rather extended break in, but in my case the shifting was getting progrssively worse.

I understand that the dealer may be reluctant to take apart a new bike, particularly one notorious for clunky shifting and extended break in. MGNA is also equally notorious for offering little dealer support and poor warranty follow up; so take that into consideration while adressing the issue with your dealer. You may have to be consistant without being obnoxious to get the issue rectified. As i stated in the previous post the dealer and I are familiar to each other and on good terms which aided immeasureably in getting the problem fixed.

Owning a guzzi can be fustrating at times but the reward is you do get to meet some really nice people. :bike:

My '01 V11 did this thing since new, and at first had me worried. But now with 28,000kms, it has just done it yesterday for the first time since lasy year. Letting off the gas seems to return the shifter to it's "neutral" centre sitting position. Not sure what is causing it, maybe the return spring is not strong enough, maybe the gearbox shift pawls really need a long time to set in. Who knows. The local dealer has'nt got a clue.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest callithrix

My scanner isn't cooperating but if you have the parts manual the parts #'s are 17,18 and 19 on page C5. Part #17 was bent and the roller, #18, was scuffed and abraded. :bike:

Thanks Callithrix - I really appreciate you taking the time to figure this. I called the shop today to book the bike in - not sure yet when I will get it looked at but I will pass on your info and post more when I get it back.