Electrical notes

callison

I'm pleased to report that I have been running a heated vest, heated grips and a heated helmet faceshield in addition to running lights on the V11 and there is no indication that the electrical system cannot keep up with this particular load. The same is true of my Sport 1100i and nearly true on my California 1100i (there must be a dirty connection somewhere on that bike since all three have identical charging systems).

Running lights: I am using the Kisan Technologies SM-2 Signal Minder (so is Al I believe). Accessing the wiring in the tailpiece is painful and best accomplished by dropping the inside of the rear fender. The turn signal flasher socket can be used if the terminal positions are reversed which takes a bit of work with really small jewelers screwdrivers. The SM-2 is too large to fit in that location though, so I have the socket detached from it's mount and tie-wrapped into place about an inch towards the bike centerline. If you leave the socket mounted in the original location, the seat will not shut.

There is nothing quite as comforting as knowing that your visibility in poor weather conditions, especially fog, is greatly enhanced by these units. Your local vehicle codes may prohibit the use of yellow running lights at the rear - California does, but I've yet to hear of anyone ever being cited for it. My heated faceshield isn't street legal either, it's for a snowmobile, but I doubt that it will ever garner a citation as well.

Hi Carl,

Yes I have the Signal-Minder as well, but I guess it's because of my Corbin seat, but my SM-2 fits perfectly under the seat in the stock location, even with the tail-light-delay lead plugged-in. Oh, and since the SM-2(and my headlight flasher by Kisan) aren't sealed against water/weather in any way, and they are electronic... I dipped them in vinyl dip(covering appropriate plugs of course with tape) and now they are weather-tight! :)

But they work great, and I really like the look of the running-lights.

I also have heated grips with my running-lights, and an 80/1xx headlight... with no charging problems what-so-ever.

al