Ignition coils and Boosters

dlaing

8 hours ago, ScuRoo said:

Ah, I see - the 2019 Indian, 2006 Harley & 2015 R9T have been converted to carbs & done away with their ECU’s.

Okay thanks Cliff for your assistance.

It doesn't have anything to do with fueling. I imagine Cliff knows what he is talking about..:grin:

Touché! 🤣 

I wasn’t actually meaning it had anything to do with the fuelling per se Chuck - I was rather noting they had been converted to carbs - hence the understanding ie., no longer requiring an ECU.

Yep, Cliff is ridgy didge.

Care to cast an opinion for further information that for those Guzzi models that are pre-ECU (or converted) is this a worthwhile item?

On 6/15/2020 at 10:26 PM, ScuRoo said:

Touché! 🤣 

I wasn’t actually meaning it had anything to do with the fuelling per se Chuck - I was rather noting they had been converted to carbs - hence the understanding ie., no longer requiring an ECU.

Yep, Cliff is ridgy fudge.

Care to cast an opinion for further information that for those Guzzi models that are pre-ECU (or converted) is this a worthwhile item?

I don't know much about this unit but it appears to be one of the more sophisticated and looks to have a high engineering/marketing ratio. As for worthwhile that depends on needs and wants. If you are looking for performance the biggest limitation is the pickup device. Adding this to points is not going to give much benefit as the problem is predicting a future event. You want to spark before the points open if you are trying do electronic advance.

Next step up would be dyna pickups but not the way they use them. They use them as points. When I used them with the RecIgntion I inverted the signal and advanced the pickup so as to get an accurrate timestamp before the event.

Next up again would be an analog pick where the voltage slope can be used to get advanced warning.

Finally multiple pick up points like the digiplex and ECUs.

• Like 1

Thanks Cliff. 🍻

Nice guide elucidating each step by step up of ignition concepts & grading of inherent limitations. 🤓

Making sense of various ignition options is daunting when the blurb may be minimal or worse overblown.

P.s. Just to seek clarity - is the Rec-Ignition module on or off the options table?

Edited by ScuRoo
Adding question

21 hours ago, ScuRoo said:

P.s. Just to seek clarity - is the Rec-Ignition module on or off the options table?

The problem with the RecIgnition is that there was insufficient interest for me to maintain any currency in it. That makes it hard to ship anything with confidence.

I'd only just moved to the MkII board also but only sorted the digitial input version. I still have some parts and if someone comes across hard times trying to get their bike running I'll try and accomodate them.

• Like 1