Moto Guzzi V11 Sport/Lemans – The perfect bike?

kjaj97

I’ve had my V11 sport for 4 months now and I’d like to thank all the contributors to this forum for all the information. This site has been invaluable for someone like me who likes to tinker with bikes. As way of introduction I thought I’d go through my recent motorcycle history:

Year 2000, age 34, one kid - another on the way, I sell my Ducati Monster and move from Northern California to Kansas. I’m done with bikes and my wife is happy.

2001, major bike withdrawal, wife relents; I buy the perfect bike for me - a Yamaha R1. Wow, fast bike. A short time later, some kid on a CBR wheelies by me pulling away from a stop light and I find myself going well over 100 mph on a semi residential street. Not wanting to call my wife from jail (or worse) the next weekend, I trade my R1 on a BMW F650GS. The GS is light, nimble and not too fast – the perfect bike for me.

Eight months later, I make the mistake of test riding an R1150GS at the BMW dealer. Ah…. torque….good. Shortly thereafter, I “accidentally” purchase an R1150GS on Ebay from a guy in North Carolina. It all works out well and I own the perfect all-around bike for me.

Later, I notice that while the 1150 may be the perfect bike to ride to Alaska, it’s a little cumbersome to ride to work. So thinking I’ll make the wife happy, I buy a new Mini Cooper and sell the bike.

What was I thinking?! I need a bike. I’m now moving into the cruiser demographic and want something low and cool. But it has got to handle reasonably well – a Yamaha Roadstar Warrior – the perfect bike for me.

I do the cruiser thing for a while. I buy new bars and seats in an attempt to make it comfortable, but soon I realize I’ll never be comfortable riding a motorcycle in roughly the same position as a woman getting a gynecological exam.

So… back to my youth, a sport bike, but not too radical and with a little more cachet than your typical Honyamakawazuki – a Triumph Speed 4 – the perfect bike for me.

Now the Triumph was good (although a little frenetic at 7000 rpm at 75 mph), but I’ve had my eye on the V-11 sport since came out in 2000. A deal came up this year that I couldn’t pass up. Now I can say I truly I have the perfect bike for me. Seriously - really – it is.

My wife doesn’t believe me either.

Ah, but we do believe you. You've been assimilated.

Seriously, sounds like you need two bikes. Get a little 250 or 400cc dirt bike for the 'nimble wheelie fest' bike and keep the Guzzi for the longer faster stuff. The Sport is (ahem) a great bike.

Please don't tell your wife I suggested that.

Jason

Hilarious --- :D

I think it mirrors quite a lot of our own experiences too.......... I suspect the V11 will be perfect for you, but only for a short time. You'll lust after something else, surely. Do yourself a favor when you do ---- something I should have learned a long time ago ---- DON'T sell the V11 when you ache for something new. You'll regret it.

Dan