Reverse Shift Pattern

emry

I just finished making a early version of a reverse shifter for my Scura. If i can get my hands on a digitial camera i'll post some pictures.

Is anyone else running a reverse pattern or interested? Just curious.

Yeah, I'm running a reverse pattern on my California, only it's backwards! :D

It's a heel and toe shifter.

Seriously, while I really loved the reverse pattern on my RD-350 when it was completely cafe'd out, I wouldn't do it now because it would make the transition between bikes (I have four) a bit more onerous.

• 4 years later...

And we're doing this because......???? :unsure:

It does feel much more natural to shift the correct way, instead of shifting up for up. I had thought about looking into a change if only to harmonise things with my other bike, but even then the shifter's still on the wrong side :(

But seriously, shifting down for up makes for quicker, smoother upwards gear changes - which is where you want it. There's also some old tosh of a story about not unsettling the bike when making up changes when cranked over on a track. But if you were to try a "reversed" shift pattern for long enough to get used to it then you'd see how much more intuitive it feels. And I have no problem switching back and forth between a modern 1 down 5 up box and a 1 up 3 down box.

And we're doing this because......???? :unsure:

There are 2 theories that I've heard.

The first relates to the sometimes used moniker of "GP shift pattern", and is in reference to the foot position when up-shifting from a hard-over position as one comes accellerating out of a left hand corner on the track. In a left-hander the GP shift pattern provides more ground clearance for the left foot by preventing the need to place the foot under the shifter to upshift. As you know, the downshifting is all done before you throw her down, into the corner.

The second theory relates to early shift patterns found on the various marques of the 60's and 70's, whereby anyone not riding a Norton was obviously a wanker. :oldgit: