Six speed transmission oil change

callison

There's been enough discussion about the milky oil on the V11 transmission so I changed mine the other day. I have been riding in the rain and the oil was milky, so I changed it. I followed the specifications of the owner manual and put in 850cc. The site glass was completely full so I posted back to this site and Rich Maund specified that the oil should be just in the glass as it will vent on the rear tire if there is more. I hadn't ridden the bike, so I opted to siphon off the excess and measure it to see how much the difference is. I had to remove 180cc of oil!!! That means the transmission has 670cc in it and I suspect that that is sufficient, but I would like to know if anyone else has measured the amount of fluid in there. Moto Guzzi typically specs about 10% high on the engine, tranmission and rear box fluid according to a post on the now defunct German Moto Guzzi Pinwand bulletin board. Even so, 670cc vs 850cc is a bit more than 10%, more like 20%. Feedback anyone?

Guest Kevin Hamann

I've got a Tenni in my garage, bought 16 Nov 02 from Jim Knaup @ EP&F in Prescott, AZ USA, now with 1400 miles on it (Gimme' a break, the snow's flying!). Jim did the first service at 572 mi and I think put in the owner's manual spec of 850 cc's. I rode it back home to New Mexico at 85-90 mph and no oil blew out the breather. The oil level's over the trans sight glass. Since passing an engine break-in milestone I've probably run 95-100 mph and still no oil spooge, so I think maybe this is a non-issue.

Kevin Hamann

New Mexico USA

MGNOC #11852/100K Mile Member

New Mexico MGNOC Rep

Guest Kevin Hamann

After mulling over your situation during lunch, I've come up with a few ideas: stop riding in the rain so much; go faster in the rain to heat up the trans oil to 212 degrees F (or less at higher elevations) and thereby vaporize the water that is getting in there; put a suitable hose that fits snugly over the LOWER portion of the trans breather fitting and run it up under the seat someplace; buy some mudflap material and rivet it to your fenders to reduce/eliminate tirespray.

I would probably go with the the third idea myself and be sure not to inhibit the venting function of the breather (I would give you foolproof, step-by-step instructions, but I think you can handle it, and I don't feel like exposing myself to the present cold, snowy conditions in order to get to the garage).

Buena suerte...

"...no problems, only solutions." John Lennon

• 1 year later...
Guest Graham in NZ

V11 gearbox oil changing

Fitting some better mudguarding at the front of the rather inadequate hugger will help to help keep spray from the breather. I used 3mm neoprene fixed to the swinging arm brace members with cable ties. Also I added a flap above the front of the hugger, contact-glued to the guard liner above and cable tied to the lower end of the shock unit. Very successful.

When changing the oil I do it with the oil hot and the bike on the side stand. That way the oil runs over just the side of the exhaust collector rather than all over it.

If the sighting window is clogged up it can be unscrewed and cleaned with aerosol cleaner or CRC etc. The unit is plastic so don't over-tighten it. It can be removed with the bike on the side stand without oil loss.

If all the gearbox internals were perfectly dry 850cc of oil should bring the level to the centre of the window. At an oil change all the old oil is never removed so putting in 850cc will bring the level above window centre. Near the top I've found, but that does not have oil coming from the breather tower on my bike.

If you have the time and want the oil to come to the window centre, forget about measuring the volume and add oil until it comes to the window centre. Of course the bike needs to be upright or on a shop stand.

Graham

2001 V11 Sport

• 7 months later...

kraz, I found the gearbox oilchange pretty straightforward when I did mine. It's best when the oil is warm, have the bike sitting level, the drainplug is 17mm. The folded up tinfoil works OK to keep the oil from dribbling over the exhaust crossover but I still spilt a bit. Clean up the magnetic drain plug, there should be some crud on it. The filler takes a 10mm hex key. The manual states to use 850 mls of SAE 80W/90 oil, I measured mine in rather than pouring it and checking the sightglass. I put in 810ml. When I filled it the sightglass was full but after running it the level has dropped to just above the bottom of the sightglass.

Rob

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Does anyone know, off hand, the diameter of the transmission drain plug hole.  I need to pick up a new crush washer and I'm not near the bike. :huh2:

55225[/snapback]

It is 10mm(about 13/32" (FYI: Half inch and 12mm are too big))....I could not find them in the autoparts store, so went all the way to the guzzi dealer.

It would be nice to get a six pack of them.