tank protection with tankbag

Steve G.

Keith mentioned the worry of protecting the tank from the forward straps. I know there are those out there who could care less about saving the paint, but I've got some bikes with over 90,000kms with tank bags, and had I not used simple means to save the paint, they would not be looking new today. That said Keith, a simple solution, electrical tape on the tank where the straps go forward around the headstock of the frame. It was on my bike twice for over a week this last summer for tours, and when I came home, simply take it off. I was in some serious heat on my last ride, and so there was a very small amount of residual sticky goo left from the tape. It was very hard to see, as it is clear, but I wanted it off. Simply dabbing some WD40 on it, let it soften up the goo, and a soft rag wipes it away.

Oh, and the Guzzi tank bag, best one I've owned. Bought it from the little Guzzi dealer in Sparks [Reno], Nevada. I think he has a couple left. I heard a rumour that Guzzi does not offer them anymore. I would be astounded if this were true. It is the sale of these little "add-ons" that make a motorcycle profitable. Just look at H.D..

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Mich-Guzzi

"a simple solution, electrical tape on the tank where the straps go forward around the headstock of the frame. "

This comment makes me wonder if I have the Guzzi bag base installed correctly???? The rear portion of the base gets installed under the rear tank bolt but the front of the base has two sets of straps which I ran down the outside front of the tank on each side and wrapped around the frame. That's why I am worried about the straps marring the paint. Is there a better way to install the bag base??

Keith

( :homer: apparently installation challenged!!!!!!)

PS: I had no problem finding a new Guzzi bag for the V11

I have it installed the same way Keith.

I don't think the straps will do anything to the paint via incidental use. But long droning(vibration) rides may take it's toll.

I remember my old tankbag on my FJ1200 rubbed right through the paint on the raised ridge around the gas filler, due to some heavy weight in the bag.... and hours and hours of riding, even though the bag had a great pad. So it can happen over time.

al

I also have it installed like you Keith. But the tape is a great idea Steve; you should send that to Greg Field for his 'tips for Guzzi's' articles.

To keep the excess length of strap on the front from flapping around, I used some safety (diaper) clips.

J

Golly, now you guys have me thinking I have another model of Guzzi tankbag. My tank bag "base" has as you say Keith a rear flap that is bolted down to the fuel tank rear fastening bolt. However, my tank bag base has just one set [two single straps] coming off the front, which when wrapped around the frame headstock, are snapped into little slide adjustable snaps located near the origin of each other. Then you can slide the strap through much like those cheap motorcycle tie down straps, to to tighten up the tank bag. Once firmed up, I can concure that there is some extra strap left hanging out there, which if not stuffed away or tied down, will do a wonder on the paint as they flail around. I have been stuffing the excess strap in between the tank bag and the tank bag base, right at the front. They do stay put there so far.

I have found that when touring, the tank bag will loosen up a bit as the strap adjusts and stretches out a bit, so a little tug of the excess strap through the little plastic slide ratchet does the trick.

A buddy of mine has gone one step further, one that I may adopt. He has been using an all purpose generic tankbag on his Guzzi Quota, 78 Lemans, and Laverda Mirage for years. He uses a slide proof rubber pad under the tank bag, found at stores that sell tool boxes and tools, with great success at paint protection. It has a bumpy ripply texture to it that would reduce the chance of abrasive grit getting trapped in between and causing damage. He has trimmed it to just slightly more than the outer edge of the bag base, so it does not flap about. Locally, I have seen these pads for sale at Lordco Parts, not unlike the AutoZone automotive supply houses in the States. I've also seen them locally at Steveston Marine, a marine/boat supply chain, which I guess makes sense as it would reduce stuff falling off shelves and tables on rolling boats and ships.

Ciao, Steve G.

I dunno, sounds like you have the same bag I(we) have. I just don't put the two front straps up around the headtube. I put them down along the sides of the nose of the tank, and attach the straps to the front engine subframe.

Mounted like this(sorta like a tripod) the tank pad/base doesn't move around AT ALL. And to fill the tank, one only has to unclip one of the front straps, and flip the bag to the side.... or of course, you can unzip it from the base.

The front straps also have a short pad under them, that doesn't quite go all the way though.

Here is what I've got:

tankbag2_lg.gif

It looks like the front pad/tabs and the material of the one in the photo above may have changed a little bit, but it's basically the same bag as I've got.

al

Guest Mich-Guzzi

That's the same bag I have. There are two sets of straps at the from corners of the base pad. And the base pad has some protection for the first two inches of straps or so. But after that, the straps will lay right on the tank, especially at the bottom of the tank. I'm sure that the straps will affect the paint. My thought was to either put the straps in some soft protective material (similar to the fuzzy covers some tie down extensions have) or apply some of the clear plastic film to the tank. I don't really like the film as it will be there even if I don't have the bag on the bike.

I know that a lot of you guys are using this bag - so I was just asking how you deal with the issue.

Keith

another model of Guzzi tankbag

Stopped at the Guzzi shop in Chilliwack yesterday and noticed they have 3 different tank bags for sale - 2 of wich will fit the V11!! (one is the bag wich Al has pictured)

Asked about strap protection and he reccomended clear mactac tape. Gord uses it with his own v11 and has not a single mark from the bag.

Guest Mich-Guzzi

Just looked at the Rider Wearhouse product. PERFECT!!!! Clear - but only installed with water - not glue. Ordered it. Will report back after installation.

THANKS!!!!!! :bier:

Keith

I have been using some similar clear plastic to protect the paint on the tank in knee cutout areas. My cordura riding pants will do a number on the paint over time. It was from a company called Tank Slapper http://www.thetankslapper.com/

Stuff works great and molds very well to even compund curves on the tank it is practically invisible when on especially if you cut it to fit close to edges of the tank where the plastic bends or curves. I imagine it will work very well under the tank bag straps.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest motomaniac

I've been using the Snider's paintguard on my tank and sides as well, and have been very pleased. Here's some pics of the size of sheets you get and what you can get out of them. The sheets are roughly 11x17.

post-1405-1103835342_thumb.jpg

Guest motomaniac

After I saw the new Scura R pics on the home page here, I did some digging and found some black vinyl that works the same as the clear Sniders. I cut a piece to match the factory stripe.

post-1405-1103835465_thumb.jpg