ECU

BrianG

I think that spark advance is also worthy to be looked at. Nearly all, if not really all ecus resp. ecu-settings have to respect the laws concerning environmental specs. Ignition timing is the first what is adjusted (taken back behind optimum) to reach these values.

The second point is that you need more spark advance if you want to cruise with leaner mixtures. Lambda 1 and higher for cruising at best efficiency should be possible with a big V-twin as well as with every car engine. Making the mixture richer is not always the proper answer.

And last, if someone thinks about dual-plugging his Donna, beeing able to retard the spark should be the first thing he should want to.

Hubert

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest wmcdonal

I write software to remap OEM ECU's.

I have just added support for the Guzzi 15M ECU. This will allow you to change fuel, ignition, rev limit, warmup curve etc. It also provides full diagnostics.

The software also emulates a PCIII so that you can use the Dynojet tuning link software to remap the standard ECU.

I still need to update my web site to include the info on the Guzzi remap but you can see what the software looks like at www.tuneboy.com.au

I should add that this is cheaper than a PCIII and provides much more scope for tuning.

I write software to remap OEM ECU's. I have just added support for the Guzzi 15M ECU.

Excellent! So now I can make millions. ;)

Most of your data in comparison to the PCIII towards the bottom of your comparo page is flawed/incorrect.

I'll be e-mailing you direct to discuss further.

ToddGuzziTech.com

Certified PCIII Tech - Dynojet's Guzzi Technical Advisor

I should add that this is cheaper than a PCIII and provides much more scope for tuning.

40089[/snapback]

This is most interesting ! Could you kindly inform us how many map updates it is possible to do with one TuneKey ? It seems that your edit program requires such a key and your web site sells them also separately. Therefore, it seems that map modifications "consume" these keys ?

Did I understand it correctly ?

br, JuhaV

Excellent! So now I can make millions. ;)

40096[/snapback]

Just remember that competition makes for a better product and also that those millions you will make can be considered as us bikers out here in the world providing funds for R&D.

I hope to here of great things from both of you!

Guest wmcdonal
Most of your data in comparison to the PCIII towards the bottom of your comparo page is flawed/incorrect.

What do you think is wrong?

Could you kindly inform us how many map updates it is possible to do with one TuneKey ?

The key is for that ECU, once you have the key you can reflash that ECU as many times as you like.

Once you have the key you get any software upgrades free.

I hope to here of great things from both of you!

Me too.

What do you think is wrong?

I sent you an e-mail direct, but if you'd like to discuss it here, we can.

The key is for that ECU, once you have the key you can reflash that ECU as many times as you like.

Ok, so only one key for each purchase? So, if I owned three bikes, I'd need to buy three keys then(?). Are you discounting for multiple bikes? How are you handling Tuning Link Centers that would be doing multiple bike/ECU maps?

ToddGuzziTech.com

Guest wmcdonal

I think if you make a statement like the one above it should cone with some detail.

Your statement was made on a public forum so I think it is only fair that it is answered on the same forum.

I can't reply to your criticism if you don't tell me how you think the info is wrong.

I think if you make a statement like the one above it should cone with some detail.

I'm not Todd but I think he meant that you compare your solution with the old PCIII

while the one for sale from dynojet is the very much improved PCIII-usb.

I got interested in your product and if I had not already got a PCIII-usb installed

on my V11 I would seriously consider buying it. I hope you find a market big

enough to continue support for the WM1.5M and Moto Guzzi.

2 points I don't like:

- keys. As a IT professional I see a lot of problems for customers caused by problems

with licence keys. It is a way to protect your investment but it is not helpful to your customers.

- a bit pricey. compared to My15M where you get both H/W and S/W for less money,

but maybe it just us old hackers who likes the openess of My15M. I'm sure your package

is a nice product for the average Joe not interested in hacking around for it's own sake.

I think if you make a statement like the one above it should come with some detail. Your statement was made on a public forum so I think it is only fair that it is answered on the same forum. I can't reply to your criticism if you don't tell me how you think the info is wrong.

Sure thing then... first from above:

Ok, so only one key for each purchase? So, if I owned three bikes, I'd need to buy three keys then(?). Are you discounting for multiple bikes? How are you handling Tuning Link Centers that would be doing multiple bike/ECU maps?

Dynojet is now finalizing a Timing Module plug-in for PCIIIusb that will handle timing adjustments for the 15M. So that part is incorrect.

Dynojet is also ready to release an "02 sensor controller" for the newest 15M-IAW (only currently on the Breva here in the States). This will allow for full map access around the 02 sensor... which I also posted an explanation for why 02 sensors aren't ideal on Moto engines from Dynojet's Director of FI Development, Michael Belcher... referencing the "released this month" BMW PCIII will also include an adjustable-target a/f ratio'ed 02 sensor inside the PCIIIusb, much like you describe for your program.

They also have WideBandCommander.com for data logging - Just an FYI...

Under "#1 - 'Flaws' - Causes closed loop mode to function incorrectly (*Note1), and #2 - Causes fueling problems at high altitude" You subnote #1, when nearly all 15M's stateside do not have/utilize 02 sensored ECUs. #2, If you say this, then the ECU's ability to correct this is wrong... this is something often argued when someone is offered the ability to "adjust for altitude (compensation)". So are you implying that WM/MM were off-the-mark with the 15M ECU alitude adjustment? My bike, and all the others I've ridden, from Sea Level to 7000-8000 ft (usually in less then 30 minutes) have no running issues with the stock PCIII'ed 15M ECU. I am curious as to what data you derive this statement from?

How do you utilize Tuning Link to your software for map corrections?

I'm not trying to debate what your program (as I like what I'm hearing so far), I'd just like to make sure all the info "-vs- PCIII" is correct. I look forward to chatting more with you on this.

Awaiting you reply,

ToddGuzziTech.com

Hi Todd,

I am quite sure, that TuneBoy and PC won't interfere as much as it may look at first sight. I don't think that users who have bought the TuneBoy solution will go for PC maps.

An other question came at me while I read your last article: you were announcing a spark-advance plugin, a O2-sensor controller and last a wide-band controller.

Now, does this mean three or even four boxes below the seat?

Hubert

I am quite sure, that TuneBoy and PC won't interfere as much as it may look at first sight. I don't think that users who have bought the TuneBoy solution will go for PC maps.

An other question came at me while I read your last article: you were announcing a spark-advance plugin, a O2-sensor controller and last a wide-band controller.

Now, does this mean three or even four boxes below the seat?

Hi Hubert, I don't think Dynojet is much worried, as PCIII sales are VERY, VERY good... and as such (and often stated) a big handful of the AMA Pro Race Teams use PCIII/Tuning Link technology every race weekend.

I'm personally not at all concerned with 'Tuneboy' software users using PCIII maps, moreso curious as to how his program interfaces with Dynojet's Tuning Link software.

The 02-sensor is a simple block-off OEM-style plug at the end of the 02 sensor wire (closest to the 02 sensor). The timing module is a seperate smaller box that will 'piggy-back' onto the PCIIIusb, yes.

WidebandCommander is totally seperate, and highly doubtful you'd run it all the time any way. Data logging is great for racers and diagnostic reference, but nothing you'd run all the time.

I remain open to everything that becomes available on the market... just that Dynojet's PCIIIusb has been a very nice, easily accessible tool for many years now.

ToddGuzziTech.com

- a bit pricey. compared to My15M where you get both H/W and S/W for less money,

but maybe it just us old hackers who likes the openess of My15M.

I'm glad that My15M is still an attractive option for some. I was thinking it was sunk as a product.

Guess I'll just need to add more features.

Sure thing then... first from above:

His pricing plan took a little reading to understand.

It would help if he did not have a high contrast image behind the text.

He sells a kit that has one key for one bike for $310, about the price of a PCIIIUSB.

Additional keys can be purchased for 1 for $150 or 1 for $250 or better yet 3 for $330!

So one bike will cost you 310

two bikes 460 (230 per bike)

three bikes 560 (186.67 per bike)

and four bikes 640 (160 per bike)

Anybody in So-Cal want to split expenses?

Or would that be a violation of the software license????

Dynojet is now finalizing a Timing Module plug-in for PCIIIusb that will handle timing adjustments for the 15M. So that part is incorrect.

But it is correct until we can buy it.

Dynojet is also ready to release an "02 sensor controller" for the newest 15M-IAW (only currently on the Breva here in the States). This will allow for full map access around the 02 sensor... which I also posted an explanation for why 02 sensors aren't ideal on Moto engines from Dynojet's Director of FI Development, Michael Belcher... referencing the "released this month" BMW PCIII will also include an adjustable-target a/f ratio'ed 02 sensor inside the PCIIIusb, much like you describe for your program.

They also have WideBandCommander.com for data logging - Just an FYI...

Under "#1 - 'Flaws' - Causes closed loop mode to function incorrectly (*Note1), and #2 - Causes fueling problems at high altitude" You subnote #1, when nearly all 15M's stateside do not have/utilize 02 sensored ECUs.

#2, If you say this, then the ECU's ability to correct this is wrong... this is something often argued when someone is offered the ability to "adjust for altitude (compensation)". So are you implying that WM/MM were off-the-mark with the 15M ECU alitude adjustment? My bike, and all the others I've ridden, from Sea Level to 7000-8000 ft (usually in less then 30 minutes) have no running issues with the stock PCIII'ed 15M ECU. I am curious as to what data you derive this statement from?

I hope he answers that question...but it seems that he is correct about the closed loop models. The ability to modiify not only the map, but the target, could give more accurate fueling.

But I am dubious of the high altitude issues, unless it is only an issue in closed loops. Certainly a bike mapped for one altitude may not compensate perfectly at another altitude, but I think that would be the case no matter what you do. Or can his software change the modification algorithim of the air pressure sensor data or maybe more correctly modify the voltage reading's effect of the air pressure sensor on the resulting fueling????

How do you utilize Tuning Link to your software for map corrections?

good question...I guess he answers it here, but I got confuzzzzed reading it:

http://www.tuneboy.com.au/Tutorials/TuningLinkTutorial.html

I'm not trying to debate what your program (as I like what I'm hearing so far), I'd just like to make sure all the info "-vs- PCIII" is correct. I look forward to chatting more with you on this.

Awaiting you reply,

ToddGuzziTech.com

40199[/snapback]

Todd,

I understand your point. I just checked the PC-site, the new BMW PC is already just one box, all included, even the sensor.

But the rest, they must buy all these mentioned options separately if they decide for a PC. Isn't it this, what causes all this argueing?

Hubert