ECU

BrianG

What doe 2% oxygen translate to in A/F ?  2/100 or a 1 part air and 50 parts fuel?

If you talk about that example of the Futura then it should be not 50 parts fuel but exaust fummes.

But then again the values of CO at the end are given for every model by the manufacturer.Perhaps Eur. sandards makes every company adjust the motors for this value.Or else??

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't remember if Derek ever answered how percentage oxygen relates to air:fuel ratio.

While searching on eBay, I found this interesting photo of a vintage gas tester, that presumably measures CO.

sunexgl36bs.jpg

Sometimes it amazes me how little we have progressed:

In 1899, Professor Walter Nernst, working in Leipzig, Germany, developed the theory of a concentration cell that, much like a battery, uses a gas-tight ceramic electrolyte that becomes electrically conductive above 625[degrees]E Called a Nernst Cell, it transfers oxygen ions from a reference gas inside the cell to or from the outside environment. In doing this, a measurable voltage is generated. This voltage reflects the difference in the oxygen content between the air outside the sensor and the reference gas.

106 years later and we are just beginning to take advantage of Nernst's work.

Well I guess Oxygen sensors have been in use since the Seventies, even wideband, but only now are wideband sensors are just beginning to be utilized.

I'll bet in another 4 years, we'll see four gas analyzers for under $1000, and the wideband kits that cost $500 now will be alot less.

106 years later and we are just beginning to take advantage of Nernst's work.

Well I guess Oxygen sensors have been in use since the Seventies, even wideband, but only now are wideband sensors are just beginning to be utilized.

Strange istn't it?Perhaps now "they" descide it to combine it with all these PC type of packages and go for the big $$$. I should have become a programmer or so, instead I "preffered" early retirement.....too much fuzz makes me boring :bbblll:

Besides with all these gas restrictions everyone who tunes engine needs these thingies too. :P

I'll bet in another 4 years, we'll see four gas analyzers for under $1000, and the wideband kits that cost $500 now will be alot less.

70823[/snapback]

Now you know what I mean in the last post on my thread

You may like to see also this tunning pageFIM

pageFIM

70827[/snapback]

I am still not a big fan of FIM. There chips are inexpensive if they work for your bike, but if you need to change the map, they seem to be too expensive.

But I guess TuneBoy tuning on a dyno could get expensive too, depending on how close you want to approach perfection.

This was an interesting chart:

cor2.gif

Not a Guzzi, but it does show how critical individual cylinder tuning is.

And for me trying to tune with just the seat of my pants, it is a daunting task....which is why I want a WBO2 logger.

I do think you should try modifying your own map.

If I had a Centauro, Sporti or Daytona, that is the root I would take.

Software is free.

Chip PROM programmer is not too much money.

Just don't erase your PROM :P

I am still not a big fan of FIM. There chips are inexpensive if they work for your bike, but if you need to change the map, they seem to be too expensive.

But I guess TuneBoy tuning on a dyno could get expensive too, depending on how close you want to approach perfection.

Not a Guzzi, but it does show how critical individual cylinder tuning is.

And for me trying to tune with just the seat of my pants, it is a daunting task....which is why I want a WBO2 logger.

That's why mostly I posted this link.I wanted you notice this chart ,so, is it better to have 2 WBo2 sencors and get recording at the same time for both cylinders?, or just do that on sepperate times is the same..WHat do you think is more effective?

Whith the VDSTS diagnostic ( as seen on the demo video) is stated that you can check both cylinders at the same time if they're running lean or rich. Nothing is stated about extra WBo2 sencors, Technoresearch ahs these Air/Fuel controlers though that can be connected and are compatible with VDSTS diagnostic software.

Check the TR-O2 and the M-300

I do think you should try modifying your own map.

If I had a Centauro, Sporti or Daytona, that is the root I would take.

Software is free.

Chip PROM programmer is not too much money.

Just don't erase your PROM :P

O.K. All I miss here are the cables, that's the most cruisial anyway.. I don't just want to flash a chip but also be in control of the bike to have the chance to monitor it every time.

Dunno exactlly what you mean with "Chip PROM programmer" , or better , do you have a link to point out that more exact? There are different stuff out there.

I will though get BACK to the FIRST Question of this thread as well:

" Is this accessible? Is the hardware cable acccessible? Is the diagnostic useful? "

this

snap01diagnostic4yx.jpg

and what can you do more (parameters controling)with this instead of a lets's say combo software like VDSTS and let's say Direct-link, or vice versa

Has anyone here worked this unit? I think that was the (meaning at least) of the first question that started this thread.

They're about a $1.50 each but you have to buy $25 worth when you find a source. Or at least I did. Now I have enough spares for the next 10 or twenty years...

O.K. That can manage me to stand here sceptical. :unsure: . Now Carl , is this a spare part ? and what is the part nummer, or even better can you post a diagram that lockates it>? I have no idea

I don't remember if Derek ever answered how percentage oxygen relates to air:fuel ratio.
I don't think I answered this, except to say that I don't consider them to be very related, especially when it's possible to have the same O2 readings all the way from below 2% to above 11% CO and O2 content all the way from .2% to 4% at best power. That said, I would look for stagger and/or ignition issues if O2 fell above .3%-.4% for large bores and 1%-1.1% for small bores after no more power was to be found by glogally adding or subtracting fuel.

Regards,

Derek

banner_motolab_general.gif

That's why mostly I posted this link.I wanted you  notice this chart ,so, is it better to have 2 WBo2 sencors and get recording at the same time for both cylinders?, or just do that on sepperate times is the same..WHat do you think is more effective?

70860[/snapback]

I think recording both at the same time would be better, but not worth the additional cost unless you were doing it professionally.

Whith the VDSTS diagnostic ( as seen on the demo video) is stated that you can check both cylinders at the same time if they're running lean or rich. Nothing is stated about extra WBo2 sencors, Technoresearch ahs these Air/Fuel controlers though that can be connected and are compatible with VDSTS diagnostic software.

Check the TR-O2 and the M-300

70860[/snapback]

I had checked out the M300 and saw nothing about plugging into the ECU and using with VDSTS or DirectLink.

But I did not checkout the TR-O2.

Will this work for ECUs with no O2 sensor? I don't think so.

Also, the VDSTS does not do mapping. Or am I missing something?

The PLX M series don't support logging.

Does Direct Link or VDSTS log the O2 and other parameters?

If not, it is only good on a dyno or not under load.

O.K. All I miss here are the cables, that's the most cruisial anyway.. I don't just want to flash a chip but also be in control of the bike to have the chance to monitor it every time.

Dunno exactlly what you mean with "Chip PROM programmer" , or better , do you have a link to point out that more exact? There are different stuff out there.

70860[/snapback]

I am hoping someone else could answer this.

But the simple answer is go to eBay and search for

eprom programmer

I do not know which one you would need.

I will though get BACK to the  FIRST Question of  this thread as well:

"  Is this accessible? Is the hardware cable acccessible? Is the diagnostic useful? "

this

and what can you do more (parameters controling)with this instead of a lets's say combo software like VDSTS and let's say Direct-link, or vice versa

Has anyone here worked this unit? I think that was the (meaning at least) of the first question that started this thread.

70860[/snapback]

I am not sure there is an Axeone for Guzzi, althought that picture has the Guzzi logo on it.

I imagine that if there is an Axeone for Guzzi, it would be very expensive and that you would be better off with the combination of the MDST or VDSTS and the Direct Link.

And if you are on a budget, you would be better off with TuneBoy, if one worked for your bike, which it does not.

Now if the PLX TR-O2 can log data to my ECU that does not yet have an O2 sensor, I might go that route, and sell my TuneBoy...or not, because it is just getting too expensive for me.

Cliff's MY15 is looking better and better. (or MY16 for Alex)

But there is still Motolab's(Derek's) argument that O2 data's value is limited.

Also, the VDSTS does not do mapping. Or am I missing something?

The PLX M series don't support logging.

Does Direct Link or VDSTS log the O2 and other parameters?

If not, it is only good on a dyno or not under load.

Nope none said VDSTS does mapping, here's the answer I got about the O2 controler from technoresearch

:"The price for the O2 Controller is $375. This product will interface to the VDSTS-Standard"

as you can see on the description of theTR-02,

Add-on for Direct-Link, VDSTS and WinProflo ,The sensor is included in the kit

There is an Axeone for Guzzi and I'll tell you the price of it soon.

Since I am NOT concerned for HP, but for best engine management I want a diagnose center at my hand and the ability to interefere when needed.The portable , the better.-

Cliffs ECU is interesting, I wait for some more infos on my questions to form the whole picture .