Winterizing a goose

quazi-moto

When I used to winterize a wide variety of engined toys, cars, four wheelers, motorcycles etc. We would add fuel stabilizer to the tanks, run the vehicle for a short time to allow the stabilizer to enter al parts of the fuel system, (this does not take long on a FI vehicle due to fuel return lines) then while the engine is running spray a fogging oil into the intakes. It does not take very much. Stop the engine, spray a little more while just turning the bike over, disconnect the battery. The top off the gas tank. (This helps to prevent the condensation of water inside, this doesn't pose a big problem on the v11's though because of the plastic tank. Viola. Wouldn't hurt to put your battery on a battery maintainer. These can be found at Wal-mart for about $20. The fogging oil can normally be found in the boating section where winterizing is a little more common.

Guest JEB758

I realize this applies to bikes with carbs but it is a very good guide for all biles.

Your motorcycle should be stored inside, but not in direct sun. It is NOT necessary to have it in a heated space, but dry is good. Make sure it is not stored near any electric motor (i.e., freezer, furnace, pump, etc.).

Preparing the motorcycle:

1. Fill the gas tank and put "stabilizer" into the gas as directed on the product label.

2. Change the oil and filter IF it has been more than 200 miles since the last oil change. Note that You will NOT have to change it again in the spring if you change it before storage!

3. Shut off the fuel valve.

4. Drain the carbs by loosening the bolt or screw which is located on the bottom (or side) of each float bowl. Tighten the bolt (or screw) again.

5. It is a good idea to clean your bike. DO NOT use Armorall on the tires. If you want to coat the tire-wall, use Pledge. (Store sheepskin seat cover inside.)

6. Spray all chrome and metal with WD-40. DO NOT spray tires or brakes!! Take special care to completely coat all enginer components, exhaust system and fork tubes and sliders.

7. If your storage area is likely to be somewhat damp, then you should oil the cylinders with a "fogging oil" as sold for snowmobiles and outboard motors. Remove the spark plugs and spray the oil into the chamber, turn the engine over a few times with the starter button. Finally, replace the spark plugs.

8. Remove the battery and store it in a cool, dry place. CHARGE the battery during storage with the appropriate battery charger once per month for 3 to 10 hours OR use a "battery tender" which is self-monitoring. The appropriate charger is one rated for 1/10 of the amp/hr rating of the battery. EG: YB14L-A2 is 14 amp/hr...use 1.4; YB12A-A is 12 amp/hr...use 1.2.

9. Put the motorcycle on its center stand or on a service stand rather than on the side stand.

10. Mice and other rodents like motorcycles! To help deter these critters, we suggest you put duct tape over the end of the mufflers and over the intake snorkels on the airbox. Several owners also like to use mothballs under the dust covers.

**In the spring, when you take your motorcycle out of storage, wash off the WD-40 with a mild detergent, re-install the battery, check your tire pressure and off you go!

**If you need service before next season, please consider scheduling the work early as to avoid the spring rush!

J.Bee

Guest Kevin Hamann
What do y'all do to the goose during the winter months?

Ride it. :sun: 33 degrees F at 6:30; should be 53 today...

Adios from the Great American Southwest.

Oh, and it's not a goose; I shoot and eat those. It's a Guzzi. :rolleyes:

I concur. Time for some of my bad poetry... :P

Neither rain nor sleet

Dreary cold or horrific heat

Stay the Guzzi owner

Who'd rather ride

Than put down his feet

me 2003

I probably ought to stick with just working on bikes and not words :D

Why store the bike???? :huh:

27 degrees out this morning. Me and my son rode out to our monthly Guzzi Breakfast Meet together on the V11S. Bike ran like a dream. We froze our asses off but had a ball! This is what hot tea and coffee at the restaurant are for! ;)

10 other like minded enthusiasts joined us. It was a great morning to be alive!

Less than 20 miles on the bike today. But enough to warm up the engine well and charge the battery.

Store a Guzzi? Bah!!!

Hear Hear Rich :bier:

While I can't claim to riding in anything colder than about 40(note that I had no winter gear at all... other than "heavier" gloves other than my normally perforated leather ones)... brrrrrr :lol: ...I can attest completely to the feeling of "accomplishment" once one has ridden through a cold rain for hours, then stumbling into a cafe to cradle a hot coffee to laugh off and reflect on what you just went through :P

...the hardest and most uncomfortable rides often turn out to be the most memorable and "fun" in hindsight!

al

Oh, and P.S.... my "winterizing" of bikes has almost always been "taking them apart" for needed maintenance or hot-rodding/accessorizing :rolleyes: Cold dreary weather is a great time for tinkering!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JohnInNH

Hummm...

Well, it's been below Zero (F) every night here for over a week with high's in the teens. Wind chill is minus freeze your nose hairs in a second flat. Looks like more of the same for the next few days.

Spit and it freezes before it hits the ground. Even for New Hampshire it's cold.

I have the V11 tucked in the garage in an open spot so I can sit on it to move the suspension, and roll it back n' forth a few feet. The battery tender rotates from the Lawn tractor to the Le Mans, to the Miata.

On the next day it is above freezing I will start it and let it warm up.

I pull the pull start handles on all my log splitter, snow blower, wood chipper a few times every now and again so the oil gets moved around and the parts don't "stick" in one place. I don't do this on humid days.

What keeps me from riding is not the temp, but the SALT! I will ride till the first salting of the roads. :bike:

• 19 years later...

I live in New England and sadly have to think about winterizing my Guzzi.  This weekend may actually be in the low 70s.  Hooray for global warming!  I'll keep it going till they salt the roads. 

Interested to know what kind of service stand you all might recommend.