Steve.G...media star

Guest Brian Robson

Guest Brian Robson

Just reading a UK magazine (Motorcycle voyager, issue 14) about a group of riders doing 3000 miles on Commando's to the rally at Lumby BC. There in 2 photo's we can see Steve with 2 women and 5 Commando's.

post-368-1104165685_thumb.jpg

Guest Brian Robson

Its a little indirect I know, but Steve is a regular contributor to this board and he rides his V11 a lot, and I just thought it would be nice to see a fellow Guzzi owner with another of the bikes that he likes :bike::bike:

It's true, I own an English motorcycle. While riding one of these is much fun, touring on one for 1 1/2 weeks involves serious contemplation. This picture finds us pulling into breakfast in Kaslo, British Columbia, in the south-east of the province, known as motorcycle nirvanna. We were on our way to the INOA Norton rally in Lumby B.C., and wanted to get our 3000 mile pins, so we went there via Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Alberta. Lots of beer, and oil were consumed. No mechanical issues! My bike is the black one where I stand.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Brian Robson

It's a town central to some of the best riding in BC, therefore a great place for a holiday base. :race::race: The town is very friendly towards motorcyclists, even to the point of advertising in magazines for clubs to hold rallies. :bier::bier:

Desperado, geez, I kinda like that Antonio. Actually one of my favourite songs, Desperado by the Eagles.

While Lumby as a town may not be a jewel visually like Nelson, it is in a semi arid sort of desert, so not alot of rain, lots of lakes, and as Brian noted, a gateway as it were to magnificent motorcycle roads. The challenging Hwy 6 from Lumby to Needles, my ohh my! And the town council agressively seeks out any and all motorcycle clubs, rallies and also lone riders. I can only think that they have seen the money that rolls in during Daytona and Sturgis.

Ciao, Steve G.

Desperado, geez, I kinda like that Antonio. Actually one of my favourite songs, Desperado by the Eagles.

While Lumby as a town may not be a jewel visually like Nelson, it is in a semi arid sort of desert, so not alot of rain, lots of lakes, and as Brian noted, a gateway as it were to magnificent motorcycle roads. The challenging Hwy 6 from Lumby to Needles, my ohh my! And the town council agressively seeks out any and all motorcycle clubs, rallies and also lone riders. I can only think that they have seen the money that rolls in during Daytona and Sturgis.

Ciao, Steve G.

39697[/snapback]

That's cool! Next time you're out that way you might want to try the access road to Silver Star or the road up past Predator Ridge CC. My wife and daughter spend the summer in Coldstream at her mum's place, unforunately I don't have access to a bike when I'm out.

For the rest of you, BC has to be seen to be believed.

Wonder how many chase vehicles were involved in this 3000 mile trek? One for each Norton? Did any Nortons actually make the whole trip?

39727[/snapback]

I heard that some of the Nortons were ridden at a "brisk" pace. And 1 or 2 needed roadside crash repairs :P Easily done on a metal bike. I've come across some of these guys on impromptu rides and don't let the age fool you. Of course, I'm talking about the age of the bikes :P

Yeah, it was as brisk as you can make a 35yr old machine run, as usual. The only problem the whole tour was Ian high siding his bike [grey Interstate in picture] on the Green Mtn. Rd. [kick ass bike road] which goes from Penticton to Keremeos, through the Penticton indian reservation. He stuffed it under a huge fallen tree, and it took 5 of us to pull it back onto the road. She was tweaked a bit, bent handlbars, but we pulled it all out, Ian kicked her and off we went, understandably Ian ran 9/10ths the rest of the way.

Don't want to ramble on too much on The Guzzi forum about these things, but I really feel it has improved my riding, in that because of the lack of power of old units like this, you are forced to adopt "speed preservation" by learning efficient cornering. Luckily alot of machines made in England at the time knew corners!

Ciao, Steve G.