Read a good book lately?

Guest Bruce

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need it a lot then, do you?

nice try !.. haven't needed it yet though...

and thanks for the Aussie drinking song quote. I guess we can all call each other Bruce.

also don't forget the conversation pit with the Dinsdale brothers, and a "man called Kikegaard who sat around biting the heads off whippets"... If I recall correctly..

Guest aj howard

Here is a book I loved, a mystery told from the viewpoint of an autistic boy, very interesting "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.".

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/140...8366122-3432659

How are the books on the history of Guzzi? I have a gift certificate and was wondering if they were good reads?

Well it's snowing with a vengence so I am in need of a few good books to see me through until spring.  Given some of the music recommendations seen in the past around here I figured this would be a good place to ask. Any favorites, riding oriented or otherwise?

PS, if it doesn't snow where you live the rest of us don't want to hear about it, OK.

39615[/snapback]

Guest Dave Pott

Congats! Great addition :thumbsup: ..... you are keeping the V11? right?

By the way which one are you riding to Moto GP in July??

Dave

Dave.. not sure yet on which one I will ride to the MotoGP.

I also have to ride to San Diego in mid January and am debating which bike to take.

But for sure I am keeping the V11. Its such a beautiful bike that I can't see parting with it.

Tim

nice try !..  haven't needed it yet though...

and thanks for the Aussie drinking song quote.    I guess we can all call each other Bruce.

also don't forget the conversation pit with the Dinsdale brothers, and a "man called Kikegaard who sat around biting the heads off whippets"...  If I recall correctly..

39714[/snapback]

Good stuff, Good stuff. Over the holiday's Mr Creosote comes to mind ( Bring me a bucket! :vomit: ). Around here Thursday night is BBC comedy night with Monty Python, The Trailer Park Boys, and the Peep show.

Sounds like lots of great books too. Thanks for the input, I am putting together my shopping list now.

Bruce

PS I've tried 'Zen and...' a couple times. Kinda the other end of the spectrum from the Trailer Park Boys.

Re: books on Guzzi's

Greg Field wrote a very readable book called 'History of Moto Guzzi Big Twins' or some such. It's a nice companion to the history of Guzzi movie that recently was going around recently.

I'm not sure Melissa Holbrook Pierson has Guzzi's any more- I remember seeing her V65 for sale not too long ago. Not by her, but someone who had bought it and was reselling it. Don't know why that stuck in my head, but it did.

J

On motorcycles..."Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch

And in the eclectic mix...the "WoT's" are good, but got bogged down around book 10 or 12..."Battlefield Earth" by L.Ron Hubbard (his other stuff gets a little weird)..."Without Remorse" by Tom Clancy..."The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (or is it Universe? my copies went to college with my son and never came back) by Douglas Adams..."Foundation" by Isaac Asimov (first of four)...the Harry Potter books (sure, why not)...the "Left Behind" series by LaHaye/Jenkins..."Karate-Do" by Gichin Funakoshi...and the Bible (it's a really good read).

We had four days of ice and now back at 60F...gonna install the Christmas presents and get back out there. Enjoy. :bike: k

books.... anyone mention books....

"American Soldier" Tommy Franks

Anything by Patrick O'Brian - historical fiction, seafairing

Anything by Tristan Jones - historical, seafairing

Know what you mean about "Zen.... Motorcycle Maintenance" - read it in the late '70's, bought another copy last year and can't get through it! Figures.

"The Arabs in History" or anything by Bernard Lewis

We have cool rain here :bier:

Books I have read lately. Well let's see. Last weekend I read "I like bunnies" about 20 times to my granddaughter. This weekend my grandson will be here and it will be either " Mrs. McDonald's horse" or "My Little Car". As for me, my reading has been confined to the internet looking for a hoppier IPA recipe. Beer is good. :P: Hope everyone had a good Christmas!! Later, Dan :drink:

I just finished a book I actually bought for my wife... "The Perfect Vehicle" by Melissa Holbrook Pierson.

An easier read than Pirsig but still with lots of philosophical musings about why we love motorcycles and sprinkled with some great road stories.

By the way, she happens to be a die-hard Guzzisiti and has only owned and rode Guzzis for the last 20 years.

Has anyone heard of this author??  Maybe she participates in this forum :huh2:

39680[/snapback]

This may be only a rumor, but last I heard, she got rid of the Guzzi and bought a horse.