Avoiding the rear stand slide

callison

scratch.gif

See those scratches - and the bent piece of metal? That's from having the V11 Sport slide off of a rear stand numberous times. The combination of angle, narrowing swingarm width, plastic cover and road grime make for a treacherous purchase for a swingarm stand. After a number of times of the bike sliding while changing tires or during maintenance I finally decided to just add something to the swingarm tha would keep the stand from sliding. I don't weld, and the swingarm was already powder coated, so I took a less esoteric path to the solution. A hose clamp. All you can see in the photo is the head of the clamp on the underside of the swingarm. It's not very obtrusive and from above, nearly invisible. The strap of the hose clamp has been covered in black heat shrink tubing to prevent chafing the paint and to make it less visible. It works very well. The reason the stand has yellow tape on it is because all of the previous sliding incidents have torn the rubber cover. That won't happen anymore.

scratch.gif

I sent you this email, but decided it would be better if the members saw it too :luigi: :

Hi Carl,

I see that you are having the slipping with the Pit Bull stand too.. I wonder if we could get a tackier rubber by talking to Charlie. I'll give him a call on Monday.

Does the slipping problem occur if the swingarm is clean and dry, or is it only a problem if the swingarm is wet and/or dirty?

Regards,

-ken

I've cleaned the beejeezus out of it with cleaner, electrical contact cleaner, rags - whatever, to no avail. I'd hate to be relying solely on a piece of rubber if I'm under the bike. The hose clamp is an excellent stop, not too intrusive visually and very inexpensive. It wasn't just the Pit Bull stand either. I had a Lockhar Phillips (POC) that slipped even worse.