fix scratches on CF cans

st. augustine

I have some scratches on my carbon fiber cans. I would like to sell them on the classified ads or perhaps ebay, but figure the scratches may discourage buyers. Is there a proper treatment or repair that can be made? I have access to a really good painter here in st. augustine, FL who did an excellent job on one of my other bikes. See picture.

Please let me know.

I have some scratches on my carbon fiber cans.  I would like to sell them on the classified ads or perhaps ebay, but figure the scratches may discourage buyers.  Is there a proper treatment or repair that can be made?  I have access to a really good painter here in st. augustine, FL who did an excellent job on one of my other bikes.  See picture.

Please let me know.

40732[/snapback]

Well at the risk of losing out on some cheap cans ['cause I'm cheap, & the only offer you'd get from me is $20+ shipping costs, since my only use for them is sacrificial experimentation]...

Can't you just take off the end caps, slide off the CF sleeves [since they're just cosmetic covers, not "real" CF structural components] and either:

A] Swap sides, so the scratches are on the inside, next to the wheel where they'll be much less visible, or

B] Replace the covers w/ new ones, which would be much cheaper than the cans?

If you're looking to get rid of the cans & get real CF or other, much lighter than stock, aftermarket cans, my offer above still holds... ;)

When I purchased my Scura it had scratches in the clear coat on the carbon fibre exhaust covers. I rubbed the scratches out of the clear coat with wet & dry, then purchased heat resistant clear coat enamel in a spray can from my local automotive shop. I resprayed them with about seven cotes of clear. I'm more than happy with the result and theres' no peeling.

Auldy

:bier:

I included photos with the inquiry, but apparently I am not doing it right. Please email me at jt.trantham

@usa.net and I will send you the photos.