Rear rack help

Skeeve

Bought a "used" Stucchi rack for a 2000+ Sport off Ebay for my '03 LeMans, and discovered that it apparently needs extra bracketwork to mount it. Yeah, yeah, I know: caveat emptor & all that stuff: from the pix I thought it was a simple mount to subframe supporting the seat, w/o actually going out & looking at the bike. Rec'd. the product, held it up to the bike & :homer: ; the subframe doesn't stick out below the bodywork! Obviously, some extra brackets are in order, but of course if I have to spend anything much for them, then there will be no cost savings to buying this thing off ebay.

So my question is: does anyone out there have one that they have not as yet mounted, [or even if already mounted,] that they can take pix of the supporting brackets that will be sufficiently detailed that I can cobble up my own? Alternate suggestions gladly accepted... :bike:

PS - I've gotta say, the rack is a beautiful piece of work: pics I've seen on this site don't really do justice to the quality of workmanship & fabrication. Too bad it's aluminum, tho', since thin wall steel tubing wouldn't weigh much more and of course would allow the use of magnetic tank bags as quick detach cases [Yes, I've already done this w/ my old G'wing: works a treat! :) ] Hmm, maybe there's a business opportunity here, if I'm going to be doing up my own mounting brackets anyway? ;)

This is probably the type of rack you have. MG Cycle MIGHT have the bracket available separately.

Detachable luggage rack for V11 Sport and V11 LeMans;

Luggage racks for V11 Sport and LeMans models come in two versions, a one piece affair with the same rack appearance as the detachable version shown above, and the detachable version shown above. The non-detachable version is heavier and likely stronger than the detachable.

01466500 luggage rack, V11 Sport, black 150.00

019910 Luggage rack, V11 Sport, detachable, black 209.95

detachrackV11SLM.jpg

O.K., so it appears I misspoke: even tho' the rack looked superficially like all the other Stucchi racks I've seen, it must in fact be something else. Did MG make their own in-house product? Anyhow, here's an image:

Guzzi rack

So I'm still trying to figure out how I'll mount this puppy, but fortunately, I'm not in a rush. Still, I'd hate to discover that "I can't get there from here" & have to put it back out on Ebay... :\

Thanks for all the helpful replies so far; ain't this community grand? :thumbsup:

I thought there were only two Stucci racks and you showed me a third one. I did a search of "Stucci rack" and here is a picture of a fourth one I found. Won't help in your case but it may give you an idea of how to come up with a bracket.

There are the two screws that hold up the pillion footpeg bracket. Behind this bracket is a third screw that holds the tailpiece onto the frame. I would suggest removing the tailpiece and see if there are any more attachment points available. I'm sure something could be fabricated from angle iron. I suspect something like the ladder frame in my earlier post would work.

post_8_1064102285.jpg

Your rack is original guzzi, it's on their homepage

so it should look like this one?

post-469-1103407375.jpg

42365[/snapback]

Grazie, Paulo! ;-)

Yes, that's the rack: I didn't realize the Guzzi did up their own, since it seems that all the tasty bits are aftermarket [& this really is a super-looking design!] :thumbsup:

Thank you for the correction/education; now I know where to start looking!

:grin:

Ride on!

:race:

• 16 years later...

Greetings Alfacity, sold mine a few weeks ago but here are some pics that may help. Flat stock, longer bolts and a couple spacers and your in business...

hopefully this is the same rack.

Paul B

20180821_091951.jpg

20180821_092002.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/29/2005 at 4:24 PM, twhitaker said:

Detachable luggage rack for V11 Sport and V11 

019910 Luggage rack, V11 Sport, detachable, black 209.95

detachrackV11SLM.jpg

I borrow this picture, since I got a luggage rack like this. Like the TS, I also have a mounting problem, but then with this rack.

I mounted the subframe and now the rack is next.

The subframe has 3 holes for the rack on both sides. The center hole of these 3 is just a 8mm hole that can be used to fix a M8 bold in a threadhole in the racktube. The subframe has nuts welded on the two other holes M8 for fixing with bolts from the outside of the rack. 

But these M8 can not be used because the rack  has 6mm holes. Does anybody know how Stucchi had imagined to do this?

I could drill the 6mm holes to 8mm, but it seems their is no room for the head of a M8 bolt. 

Does anybody have experience with this?

1 hour ago, motortouring said:

I borrow this picture, since I got a luggage rack like this. Like the TS, I also have a mounting problem, but then with this rack.

I mounted the subframe and now the rack is next.

The subframe has 3 holes for the rack on both sides. The center hole of these 3 is just a 8mm hole that can be used to fix a M8 bold in a threadhole in the racktube. The subframe has nuts welded on the two other holes M8 for fixing with bolts from the outside of the rack. 

But these M8 can not be used because the rack  has 6mm holes. Does anybody know how Stucchi had imagined to do this?

I could drill the 6mm holes to 8mm, but it seems their is no room for the head of a M8 bolt. 

Does anybody have experience with this?

I've never seen that subframe used with the V11 Sport tail rack.  So I'm sorry to say I can't offer any guidance.

But I'll be interested to see if someone else has experience with it since it seems like a more unique/unusual mounting for the rack.

Good luck!

On 1/29/2005 at 8:16 AM, Skeeve said:

Bought a "used" Stucchi rack for a 2000+ Sport off Ebay for my '03 LeMans, and discovered that it apparently needs extra bracketwork to mount it. 

So my question is: does anyone out there have one that they have not as yet mounted, [or even if already mounted,] that they can take pix of the supporting brackets that will be sufficiently detailed that I can cobble up my own? Alternate suggestions gladly accepted... :bike:

I think that I have the mount brackets for the Guzzi rack that Paulnaz showed. I'll go look. You can have them for the cost of postage from NZ. PM me.

However, it may be easier to contact the seller, as the brackets and bolts you need are probably still on the bike that the rack came from. The seller would have found it easier to undo 4 countersunk head bolts holding the rack to the brackets, than undo the bolts that are shared with the rear peg hangars.

See pics here https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/22501-luggage-rack-what-am-i-missing/?do=findComment&comment=258679

The reason I have spare mount brackets is because I made some: https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/topic/19580-lucky-phil-extender-mod/?do=findComment&comment=212948

@MartyNZ

What you describe is the Guzzi original (alu colored) rack.

I have that type on my other V11 Sport 😀

Anyway, ultimately I can adapt the rack so the M8 bolts will fit