Best heated grips for a V11 LeMans

turbotiger

Any recommendations on the best heated grips for an '03 V11 LeMans?

Thanks,

Lance R.

'99 turbo Triumph Tiger

'01 Honda Gold Wingebago

'03 Triumph Sprint ST

'03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

42906[/snapback]

Best? I've used the kind sold for snowmobile/ATV's for several years on different bikes. They are a heating element with an adhesive backing, Hi and low circuits. Cheap, dependable and use what ever grips you like.

I use Oxford hothands- they wrap tightly around existing grips with velcro. Very cheap in comparison to some of the other alternatives (just under £20) but they do not have a variable switch, just an on / off button.

This means that you only turn them on when its bloody freezing because they kick out tons of heat which suits me but is no good if you want them on at milder temperatures.

Guy :helmet:

Here is a very good thread on the subject:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...603&hl=hotgrips

Go about halfway down and there are several links to instructions and reviews on other forums.

I originally had the "soft" HotGrips, but found them to still be too hard for me, and the diameter was quite large. I ended up installing the Dual Star elements under my favorite grips afterwards, and they work well.

al

It looks like the wiring for the DualStar heaters is designed for the stationary grips found on snow machines and Quads. Anyone have experience with their durability on the twist-grip of a motorcycle?

I have the Oxford hot hands as well, which also help a bit with the bar vibration. Only drawback is they make the grips diameter larger, which could be a problem reaching the brake/clutch levers if you have shorter fingers or smaller hands. I adjusted my levers all the way in and managed to make the reach. k

• 7 years later...

It looks like the wiring for the DualStar heaters is designed for the stationary grips found on snow machines and Quads. Anyone have experience with their durability on the twist-grip of a motorcycle?

Since they're installed underneath the twist grip, there's no f/x on the wiring: it's all stationary. The left grip will be hotter than the right, naturally, since it only has to x-mit the heat thru one layer of rubber grip, vs. the situation on the right grip, where there is a small air gap, a layer of hard plastic (the throttle's twisty bit), and a layer of rubber grip. The OCD set :nerd: tend to solder in a small resistor on the left side to balance everything out; I'm sure if you snoop around on the net you'll find someone's opinion on what ohm value is best. The man'f. may have gotten around to making the two sides in different resistances by now to balance things out w/o any external bodging required, but I don't know about that. :luigi:

Got a set from J and S called Dr Bike I think they were about £26 at the time ( a couple of years ago ) they are based

on the old style Oxford grips which have a large turning control knob instead of the push buttons they have now.

Can't recommend them highly enough, very warm on the max of the 4 heat setting so much so that I have to turn them down

unless it's a very very cold day. These are them although they have gone up in price now http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/doctor-bike-dr695-heated-grips.html

They also do these at £24.99 which seem to have a controller very like the R and G ones http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/dr-bike-drmhgc001-drmhg-heated-grips.html