Mounting a PCIIIusb

kenm

Hi All,

I'm about to replace my existing PCIIIserial with a usb model. I mounted the the serial PCIII in the small pocket in the back of the tail section and just ran the cable to it. The cable is pretty thin and only suffered a little pinch by the seat.

The cable on the usb model is much thicker. I doubt that I'd be able to latch the seat. My plans are to dremel a notch for the cable to sit in. However, before I start with a power tool, I thought that I'd ask what others have done. I don't want to lose the space to hold my tool pouch so mounting there is only a last option.

Thanks,

-ken

Hi All,

I'm about to replace my existing PCIIIserial with a usb model.  I mounted the the serial PCIII in the small pocket in the back of the tail section and just ran the cable to it.  The cable is pretty thin and only suffered a little pinch by the seat.

The cable on the usb model is much thicker.  I doubt that I'd be able to latch the seat.  My plans are to dremel a notch for the cable to sit in.  However, before I start with a power tool, I thought that I'd ask what others have done.  I don't want to lose the space to hold my tool pouch so mounting there is only a last option.

Thanks,

-ken

43260[/snapback]

I think I saw someone on the list dremel a big hole into the side of the cowling to place the PCIII there.

I believe later model cowling is single rather than double walled.

Salut Pascal,

I lived and worked in France in 1986-87. :drink: With the help of an online dictionary, I was able to read your excellent description. My French is foutu now, so I'll respond in English, in which you write impreccably. I have a couple of questions:

1. What did you use to cut the hole in the plastic subframe? A dremel tool?

2. From the picture, it doesn't look like the hole is big enough for the connectors. I'm hoping that it really is and that you didn't remove and then reattach the connectors. It didn't sound like it from your description.

3. It looks like the seat can still pinch the cable. Is that the case? Would it be better to have lower hole and run the cable through the subframe?

4. Why did you find it necessary to remove the cloth sack before mounting the box? For the serial PCIII, I just mounted it in the sack. I agree that you would have to make a hole for the cable, so maybe it's better to just remove the entire thing. The box is still protected from water, mud, etc. with the sack removed?

Merci bien pour reponder.

Regards,

-ken

Guest Brian Robson

I put the PC11 where the tool pouch sits with the added bonus of the rubber strap keeping it in place. The wires formed a loop and then into the ECU. They are held in place with a zap strap. The toolkit lives in the tailpiece.

Hi;

Thank you for my "excellent english"...

1. What did you use to cut the hole in the plastic subframe? A dremel tool?

Yes. I've removed the entourage (4 screws) and I used a dremel tool.

2. From the picture, it doesn't look like the hole is big enough for the connectors. I'm hoping that it really is and that you didn't remove and then reattach the connectors. It didn't sound like it from your description.

No problem when the entourage is remove.

3. It looks like the seat can still pinch the cable. Is that the case? Would it be better to have lower hole and run the cable through the subframe?

No problem. I works fine so.

4. Why did you find it necessary to remove the cloth sack before mounting the box? For the serial PCIII, I just mounted it in the sack. I agree that you would have to make a hole for the cable, so maybe it's better to just remove the entire thing. The box is still protected from water, mud, etc. with the sack removed?

I think that the grip is better for the velcro grips removing the sack and the box is protected.

The next step is the tuning of the PC III in a Dyno center to have a map which fit to my bike.

Merci bien pour reponder.

If you have other questions, Go to my home page, you can mail to me.

Best regards

Pascal

Here is the thread for where I mounted mine:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ic=967&hl=pciii

post-8-1055141957.jpg

...however, with the 2001 and earlier Sports(or just 2000?) the rear carapace is solid foam on the sides, versus concave on the later bikes.

Obviously this location offers less access for adjusting the PCIII via the buttons, but if you don't perform this function often, then it's less of an issue.

But this may still be helpful.

al

• 1 month later...
Hi;

Thank you for my "excellent english"...

Best regards

Pascal

43373[/snapback]

Hi Pascal,

I finally got around to removing the existing PCIII Serial and installing my new PCIII USB. You are right, of course. Once I removed the screws that hold the sack, it was easy to grind a slot in the plastic and a matching slot in the fiberglass of the cowl. The cable fits nicely through there and the seat does not pinch it.

I kept the sack and cut a slit for the cable. I may later remove it as you did. I haven't decided yet.

I looked at removing the cowl, which lead to a newer question from me on this forum.

Thanks again,

-ken

• 2 months later...

My '02 LeMans didn't come with a tool kit (maybe I got ripped off???) so I placed the PCIIIusb where the tool pouch should be. If and when I get a tool kit (I know I should have one) it'll have to go in the tail section.