"Ram Air" for V11 Le Mans??

Sorry TX, I couldn't help it. :huh2:

But loosly back to the topic, I sure wish I could prove with dyno data that the ram air effect could work at real everyday wind speeds of 80 to 120 MPH.

Pete has made some very valid points that to my knowledge have not been disproven and my counter argument is pure speculation.

A before and after dyno test, or a dyno test at various wind speeds with davidb's bike or a similar setup might give the ram theory some validity.

Here is a link to 'air ram' thread that has pics of davidb's setup

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3818

His enthusiasm after the ram air modification is encouraging!

real everyday wind speeds of 80 to 120 MPH.

Sorry Dave, but I have the real everyday ticket that more than negates any performance gains you think you would gain at those "real everyday" speeds.

The V11 Sports are up towards the limit of their developement. If you want a magnitude of performace increase you should opt for supercharging or Nitrous Oxide. Even when not engaged/operating, those hardware additions have a "cool" factor that no amount of gaudy scoop could ever hope to accomplish. Plus a much lower coefficient of drag.

Sorry Carl, but I am offering anyone A "EVERYDAY" test ride to prove it. You are offering Blowhard couch potato theory. Tests and experiments are important to do along with theory. Anyone can go out and slap in high comp pistons and high lift cams in a engine. It was the person who experimented with those components and flowing the heads that made it work before some nerd with a calculator figured it out. (I know they didn't have calculators back then) So go out and tear one of your guzzi's apart and add a ram (2x3 inch opening funneled to 1 7/8 inch dia works good) run it down the freeway, and up in the mountains where you will really feel the difference. Then you can report back with hard facts instead of trying to shoot down someones ideas. I live close enough to you to let you ride mine. (bring your almost stock one too)

Blowhard or not, I've still got the ticket and the hefty fine that goes with your "everyday" speeds. Which is to say, that your desired speed range falls more than a tad outside of that where most actual everyday riding normally takes place. At the lower speeds that are more typical, the gains from the ram air are likely to be nominal. Then too, I have had enough experience on my Sport 1100i that does have a form of forced air, to realize that unless the scoops are optimally positioned, other problems negate the value of the scoops, like severe system resonances in cross and quartering winds. I've never noticed that the scoops on the Sporti enhance the power because they've always been there so I don't know how it would run without. The Japanese sport bikes have their ram air right at the front and I would surmise that they do so for good reason. They also design it as an integral part of the fairing for both performance and appearance. That's where I differ from you in the application on a V11 Sport. I like the looks of the bike, it would be difficult to add on scoops that would not detract some from the appearance. If you wanted more absolute grunt that worked at nearly all speeds, you would want to consider supercharging or nitrous oxide. Do what you like, it's fun to play with this stuff, I just don't personally don't think that the gain from better scoops would offset the possible loss of visual esthetics.