Round Britain Rally 2005

Martin Barrett

Round Britain Rally

Any one here had any experience of any of the previous rallies?

Sent my form off today. So it's a bit academic anyway.

There's no way I'm going to do all of the check points, but might hit a couple on the way to and from the UK V11 and Buell Highland fling. And also a few day trips out. Would give a bit of a purpose to a day out on the bike.

For those who didn't click on the link above. The brief synopsis is a Treasure Hunt/Orienteering competition on your motorcycle. Scoring points of differing value for each check point visited between Easter and November. The check points are given by grid ref and a simple clue. Take a photo of bike, check card and feature.

I don't think there are Team prizes, but I filled in the club field with MGOCGB and V11Lemans.com. So if you do decide to join in put whatever appropriate in your case. You can register more than one bike. Could cause issues if in two owners club teams do the points get split to bike was ridden? Or full points to each team?

There is 22 days left to it starts so enough time to join in. and at £25 (two tank fills - putting in to real terms - well that’s only a handful of US$ - nearly nothing these days) not too expensive for a dabble.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The check points arrived yesterday and I spent yesterday evening plotting all 90 of them on to a large map of the UK made up by copying and sticking together the six index pages of my road atlas. look the point up on the main pages and then plot it. Gives a rough idea where the points are in relation to each other, which ones are doable on route to The Erin or Spean Bridge ( or whilst there)

Hit my first one today, The closest one is about 10 miles away. I had a spare hour, it would have been rude not to. The rain started halfway there.

Turned up trying to work out best positioning for the Guzzi, Rally check card and feature to photograph. Took one, change battery warning came on so changed to the spare rechargeables. Framed up the shot and it came on again :) Least I had a useable picture and if it wasn't its not as if I travelled half way across the country.

21HertfordshireHexton.jpg

The pump outlet is hidden against the armco, and the check card is washed out, so will do it again :D:bike::pic: Once the rally starts on Good Friday

This could turn into the work of a lifetime

No, only got from Easter till end of October.

A practice run, as doesn't start till next weekend. So this one doesn't count.

I looked the the Rally Forum and there is dire warnings about posting clues and pictures of landmarks.

So I've edited some of the detail out. -_- I don't think i've given anything away as the village is a cross roads and this is the only xxxx within it.

I'd use the mittagation of trying to promote intrest in the rally. But it means you won't get inundated with pictures till 1st November.

Martin "rule breaker" Barrett

• 4 weeks later...

My exhaust gaskets arrived on Friday. So I can venture further afield than just to work, time for my first venture forth

There had been a bit of a disscusion on one particular landmark a pair of boundary stones. With some saying they weren't there and couldn't be found.One even spent 3 hours looking for them (obsesive :P ) Another saying they were on the OS map.

I had planed to ride to the village and just track each road out till I found them. But with the debate I went to the on line OS map and on the largest scale you can find loads of Boundary Posts and Boundary Stones, But only one plural - Ha Ha!

That dictated at least one check point to visit today . There is a cluster of three others that lend themselves to make a little circuit with the first. I had already researched one of these so did the last two last night. Had a fifth for on the way back if making good time. Fell between the roads radiating out of London and up a vale so no direct route.

Found the first four in good time and with ease. So set of for the fifth. I hadn't route planned this one so a bit on the cuff, so a bit of a circular route taken but got there in the end. This was one I hadn't been able to pin point on the map. But found easily once in the right hamlet.

sml.jpg

Feeling quite content 5 Landmarks scoring 80 points. 255 miles covered in under six hours. Two tank fills, first returning my usual 33MPG 15.75l 135miles(80% motorway) the second 37mpg 14.19l 136miles (right mixed bag). I was getting worried the fuel light hadn't come on. Had it blown and was I moments away from running out. Should find out as back to commuting expect it to come on at 118-125.

Making a montage of the photos and crossing of the clue list and whats this, my memorial is for George VI not George V. Bugger. Quick check. It's not a typo. I can find a link to the right memorial. I rode past it Twice. I even considered having a closer look at it, out of curiosity.

I can divert back there on another jaunt to the south or south west, or even on the way to Ireland. But did hope to do some of the Welsh ones then.

So not so smug now, and here's a picture of the wrong memorial

fb3c0311.jpg

• 1 month later...

I had a weekend pass complete with overnight stay for this last weekend. So decided to do the south west.

and the south coast as well!

Set off 0515 on Saturday. Re did the point at Pewsey above :) and then on to Bristol.

IMG_1036.jpg

Spent a bit longer there than I had originaly planned for. But did have a nice cooked breakfast. Then on to Exmoor. 270 trouble free miles under my belt and the rain hadn't materialised. The noticed a slight increase in exhaust noise. Quick check of the balance pipe seemed to be its normal loose self. Press on.

The rain then started. by the time I'd got to Dartmoor the noise had been joined by a rattle. Let it cool in the rain whilst had a little walk to verify the check point. On inspection I noticed that I'd lost the outer exhaust stud's nut.

When I'd replaced the balance pipe gaskets the inner stud had seized in its nut so on undoing the stud had come undone. I'd not wished to over tighten it on refastening leading to sheared stud, stud extractors, sheared stud extractors,drilled and retaped oversize hole. Been there done that before not doing that again. So had to unpack the tent, sleeping bag, tail pack to get to tool kit under the seat. Took the outer stud nut off the right cylinder and put it on the left. Tighten up best I can with open ended spanner, access not good to the inner stud due to fairing. I know you can get it off with 6 bolts, First time miles from home in the rain no thankyou.

Get to Redruth, retighten the left cylinders nuts and can move the rights from inner to outer stud as had slackened a bit. Do the first point and now the rain has stopped which is good as the next is a walk out in to some sand dunes.

On the way to Dorchester just filled up with fuel and looking at the tubes of instant exhaust gasket whilst the garage attendendant is dispatching the recovery truck.

Sinch up the nuts and off we go get to 4 gear and loud noise as one end of baklance pipe pops out. where the headers are held on with just the outer nut has allowed it to splay slightly. slacken off nuts put it back, retighten and off again. A mile later does it again. Repeat the re tighten and give it a good turn on the balance pipe clamp. Make it to Dorchester and it does it again as leaving. redo and kick the pipes closer together and an allmighty tug on the allen key with the screwdriver handle over the end for extra tug power.

I was getting a bit peeved as my gloves were sodden and weren't the easiest to get on and off.

Made to my mothers little plot of land on the edge of the new forest (remnants of a small holdin that was her grandfathers) where she has a caravan and potters most weekends for 2130 - 620 miles done.

Set of at 0815 on Sunday the next point is a mile up the road in the village my paternal granfather lives. didn't vist. Then off along the south coast stop at Shoreham where the local Harley Owner Group are gathering at the airport - thinks of certain Pink Floyd lyrics (pigs on a wing - Hogs at the airport - nevermind made me smile) Their exhausts were louder than mine slightly blowing :P

Saw them again at my next point as they went past. I reconised them due a Honda CBR in Repsol colours that had lost its fairing. Was the only thing that stood out from the norm.

Then up to outer London for a couple more points and then to Broadstairs on the eastern edge of Kent. Uneventful, no more exhaust trauma, except for lost my side stand puck out of the map pocket on my tank bag. On some occasions the flow of air over the top causes it to lift and open at the rear, a pain if trying to put a larger map in there, so I normally work of route notes on a piece of A4 paper or a online map print.

Point done and then blast home through the Dartford crossing home for 1645 and in time for Sunday roast. 350 miles

So a good weekend, a mix of roads, though a lot of dual carraige way. But some others in the mix. The only mechanical problems were of my doing and new nuts are on order, with spare gaskets just in case.

970 miles 13 check points earning 240 points to add to my 105 :)

1 Pewsey - George V coronation Monument

2 Bristol - Plimsol Statue

3 Winsford - Packhorse bridge

4 Moretonhampstead - Village cross

5 Carn Brea - Castle

6 Perranporth - Cross of St Piran

7 Dorchester - Maiden Castle

8 Nomansland - Well of Sacrifice

9 Shoreham - B26 Marauder propreller memorial

10 Friston - Tapsel Gate

11 Merstham - 1805 iron railway rails

12 Westerham - Churchill memorial

13 Broadstairs - Old waterworks and tower

RBR.JPG

Edited by Martin Barrett

So decided to do the south west.

and the south coast as well!

51929[/snapback]

That's a sizeable jaunt. Getting warmed up for your trip to the '40 shades of green'?

How many miles do you reckon that will involve?

That's a sizeable jaunt. Getting warmed up for your trip to the '40 shades of green'?

How many miles do you reckon that will involve?

Looking forward to the Erin

I will be setting off on the Thursday morning taking in the RBR check points in south Wales and catch the overnight Fishguard/Roslarne Ferry. Its only a 3 hour crossing so not really going to get much sleep on it. On the way back I'm getting the Sunday evening ferry, will have to find some where on the return to kip and try and do north Wales before heading back to Hertfordshire for a night shift. I haven't worked out the expected distance yet. Still pondering over routes

Martin,

You're welcome to stay here.

Keith

Keith,

Thanks for the kind offer. The ferry gets in to Fishguard 0045hrs Monday. I think thats going to be too late to take you up on your offer.

But I'll pop in for a cuppa either during the day on Thursday or Monday at a more social hour depending exactly where you are. I'm sure you won't be too far off my meandering route.

:doh: I had thought that you were in Herefordshire - and then I remember the Cymru :doh:

Martin

It's amazing what you can do with a roll of stainless safety wire. Fits in a tool bag just fine. Sounds like you ought to consider adding some to your mobile motorcycle repair shop repertoire.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've done Wales.

The South

Set off Thursday morning at 5:15am. Get past London and down the M4 before rush hour. Spent an hour and a half diverting off the route in order to revisit 3 check points. My PC was at the repairers and I hadn't backed up all of the Photos :doh: and I didn't know if they could rescue them. So as passing made sense to revisit just in case. That just leaves one other to do and that more local, within an hours ride.

As I approached the Severn crossing three police motorcycles came on about 1/2 a mile in front of me and sped off. Came across them just the other side off the motorway just parking up in a long layby. Thinking got past them before set their check point up.

Headed up the Wye valley. Spectacular. Steep sided heavily forested and swinging bends. A buzzard (or possibly a Kite) flew across the road in front of me and perched in a tree.

Then off on to smaller roads to make the first new check point (4). More of the same to the next (5). Then across a minor single track road initialy through the wooded vale and then up over the top, past "Lord Hereford's Knob" (it's the name of the hill top) mind the sheep, to the next (6).

Now sweeping A roads through very hilly terrain to the next (7). A bit of a cryptic clue on this one didn't know what I was looking for. Saw a couple of possibles on the way in, but smack bang in the middle of the town was something that tied in with one of the hits I'd got on the internet. Stopped to have a closer look :thumbsup:

More sweeping and faster A roads towards the next. In advertantly go the wrong way at the roundabout right road wrong way. The problem with signs in two languages, expecting to be signed to one place and its not on the list. It's a dual carriageway so have to go a couple of miles to turn around. Whats going the other way? Three Police motorcycles. Not sure if they're the same ones. But I'm now thinking driving school. Turn around and back on to single carraigeway roads

This is good news. If I catch them up (unlikley) I will see them first and able to hang back. As opposed to them catching me up and not overlooking the chance to advise me about my speed :(

I'm getting flashed by the odd car driver and a motorcyclist give me the thumbs down. I'm happy, they're not far enough in front to set up a radar trap.

I'm closing down on to a car. and I see in the large layby to my nearside. Pulled up to the end closest to me and hidden by the tree line untill you're almost right on top of it a mobile speed camera van. I'm slowing anyway. His rear doors didn't appear to be open. I think I'm safe but we'll have to watch the post for the next two weeks just to be sure.

I can now see the Police riders going up the far side of the valley about a 1/3 of a mile ahead of me, making progress past the traffic. I'm unlikely to catch right up with them having run into a knot of cars that will take time to pass. I don't see them again.

Make it too the next point (8), bike stops with a bit of a pop. Having taken the picture its a bit noisy on restart and not running smoothly at tickover needs revs. Stop check the balance pipe seams okay. Start her up use the fast idle lever. What this air blowing around the rear of the left cylinder. The throtle body rubber to head has popped of the head. Unpack tool kit. Have to use the pliers to pull the hose clamp around underneath so that I can undo the bolt. Half an hour taken all sorted. leave screwdriver in tankbag incase needs further attention. It's 2:15pm and I've done 360miles

IMG_1101.jpg

Set off again. Down through the industrial south dual carriageway, stop for fuel and lunch and then a couple junctions back on the M4 before following the coast road to the next point (9) slow going through the built up areas.

Then back onto main roads mostly single carriageway but its fairly easy going able to pass traffic relativly easily. Have reached the next point (10) by 5:30pm this is in the ferry port and that leaves at 02:45am Check of map there's 3 more points I think I can make and get back before its fully dark.

The traffic is light to nonexistant and the A44 between (12) & (13) is splended. Sweeping through the mountainous area with the whole range of corners. Point (13) bagged at 8:30pm. Head back to Fishguard. Oil light flickers on doing hill start at a set of traffic lights Fish and chips sat on the harbour wall, ignoring the boy racers with their hot hatches, especialy the one complaining to the girl who just taken his car for a spin around the town that she burnt out his clutch.

Then off to wait for the ferry for a couple of hours. There's a couple of Guzzis there allready and joined by three other bikes before departure.

southwales.jpg

630 miles in 17 hours. Six stops for fuel. 5 tanks of fuel used as filled up 20 miles from home and 15 miles from the ferry

1 Padworth - Boundary stones

2 Lechade - Old Father Thames statue

3 Uffington - Tom Brown's school

4 Broad Oak - Tube Train (no longer in situ)

5 Clifford - Castle

6 Llanfihangel Crucorney - Mounting block by Skirrid Inn

7 Llanwrtyd Wells - Spirit in the Sky

8 Pontsticill - Breacon Mountain Railway

10 Kidwelly - Castle

11 Fishguard - Bi centennial stone for French invasion 1797

12 Capel Bangor - Smallest brewery

13 Llandioes - Old market hall

Edited by Martin Barrett