Round Britain Rally 2005

Martin Barrett

Wales continued .

The North

Came back with Baldini from Ireland on Sunday and reached his about 10:30pm. Stayed with him overnight (thanks again) and set off at 9:30am the following morning. He recommended a couple of routes.

The Snowdonia part of north Wales very different from the hilly south, great roads.

The national park was a bit busier but able to dispatch the traffic with ease. Look across and watch the cars come up the pass, look for the gaps and use them when they appear, all the other cars just sit behind the coach in front.

Borring old dual carraigeway along the north coast and Anglesea (2)-(3). made the mistake of comming off early to go through Rhyll and Prestatyn. Past all the sea side holiday trailer parks, cost me probably twenty minutes seemed like hours :bbblll:

Then back into Snowdonia for (4) and (5) had to go into a little village , steep single track narrow lanes and tight bends. Then back on to main roads to head out to the last Welsh check point (6) and one on the way back in England (7).

Oil light flicked on twice one whilst poncing about in the traffic in Rhyll and again just before point (7) as approaching (7) noticed a slight rattle and scrape noise on coming to a stop. quick process of elimination lead it be the rear brake. Stopped and checked the pad depth. Not much left on the front and only just make out a bit on the back. From there a relativly straight run through to home, little bit of main trunk road leading to dual carriageway and motorway. No more back brake being used and picked up oil in case light came on again. decided it could wait till I got home just for the ease of not spilling it all over the cases and the difficulty of getting it upright to check. Must put a notch in the right place on the dipstick for when its on the side stand.

Got home at 8;15pm gave me an hour and a quarter before heading off to work.

If I'd been delayed would have gone direct and they would have had to put up with me in my riding gear.

nw.jpg

1 Trawsfynydd.

2 Presadffed, burial chambers

3 Talacre,lighthouse

4 AbercornwyColwynLlangernyw, Henry Jones museam

5 BetwsGwerfulGoch, St Marys Church

6 Overton, town twinning memorial

7 Knockin. The Knockin Shop

Just under 500 miles and nearly four tanks of fuel used.

Totaled 1699 miles in the 5 days. bike is getting the week off whilst waiting for pads and probably get new tyres before we do it again up to Scotland for the V11 and Buell weekend

Edited by Martin Barrett

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Jumped at the chance for another day out on the bike. I wasn't going to chance my luck untill after I'd got back from the V11 and Buell. But it was offered on Monday for today (Wednesday).

I had allready route planned East Anglia - 350 miles and anything else might impact on how I went to and from The V11 & Buell.

EastAnglia.jpg

Yesterday was a bit of a bad day Though once I'd done the inital action, when the situation became clear I ended up having less involvement than I would of had normally. But still down and uncertain if I'd want to ride today. I did dwell on it a couple of times but was able to snap out of it and concentrate on the task in hand.

A late start today leaving just before 07:00am.

Managed to catch up a que of traffic with a Traffic car in position 2. was doing 50 where the limit is 60 so was able to get behind it. There was no opportunity to get past before the road opened up and the lead vehicle got up to 60. Did wonder if he would lap the round about to come behind me to give me a tug, but went his own way and didn't double back.

No motorway today at all, though some dual carriageway. The A120 into Essex over the last 10 years or so has been made into dual carraigeway and it's dead boring. Unfortunatly once it had run out and reverted back to single carriageway the traffic was too heavy to make much progress into and out of Colchester ( claims to be oldest recorded town) where the first check point was. It's a garrison town and I saw a detatchment of Paras out running.

The A12/A14 around Ipswich had road works on it so traffic was well backed up. Most drivers moved over to assist me filtering through :thumbsup: So got clear of that, which ment once through the roadworks it opened up nicely. From there on no real heavy traffic problems. Able to take some B roads but not that exciting compared to those of a fortnight previously. Ended up on some small single track roads that had just been dressed with chippings tracking down the third point, Luckily no oncomming traffic to avoid.

Then mainly more boring A roads through flat country side. Managed to time my arrivals at speeed cameras with other traffic, so no late shows and just delay the overtake. nice and dull untill finished the last point and head home when the thundr storm arrived. My water proof cordura two piece suit isn't. The rain soaked the visor splatted bugs nicely so they just wiped off with the glove, but still couldn't see. So just slowed and followed lemming like.

Back home by 17:20 , only 360 mile today, but seven new check points and 120 points scored.

only 44 check points left

1 Colchester, Bourne mill

2 Halesworth, memorial to Zemke's wolf pack

3 Baconsthorpe, manor house

4 Cock le Clay, Icceni village

5 Moulton, Windmill

6 Gretton, Village stocks and whipping post

7 Houghton, water mill

Edited by Martin Barrett

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of riding over the last 5 days to and fro the V11 & Buell Highland Fling.

Day 1. Thursday early start leave at 0515. Dual carriageway slog.head up the A1 to the A14 where I stop for fuel. I didn't set of with a full tank. There I chat briefly with Suzuki GSX750R rider who is going to Germany. Continue up the A14 to the start of the M6. All boring dual carriageway. The A14 doesn't have the "benefit" of roundabouts or speed limits through villages and only a couple speed cameras on it. There are plenty of heavies about at this time of day and occasionaly get stuck behind a heavy doing the three mile overtake against the speed limiter having popped outof the slipstream of the one in front. Not a problem as you can then leap the gap once he's cleared.

Continue up the M6, I elect to stay on it and not use the new(ish) M6 Toll road. Its still only just past 7 and traffic is light. I can allways filter and I'm not going to pay £3.50 for no discerable advantage, any time gained would be lost having to stop to pay at the toll booth.

Fill up with fuel and deal with my first of three checkpoints all a short distance off the M6 before retuning or leaping a junction and heading on towards the next.

Third one completed in the southern lake district and head of towards the north yorkshire moors much more intresting roads. The check point (4) here The Tan Hill Inn on its web site directions warns of the dangers of dry stone walls and sheep. Got there for midday thinking nicely timed for lunch only to find a note on the door saying no food as kitchen being refitted! So made do with a cup of cofee and a packet of crisps.

From there on to the A66 to head back to the Lake District. A nice blast after the constraints of the moor roads. Catch up with a lorry and slow to stop behind a cue

of traffic. about 4 in front is atrsffic motorcycle. Fortuitous timing. We are both hemmed in by the double white lines. After a few minutes he crosses the white lines heads up the outside of the cue of stationary traffic about 100 yds stops for a minute and then does a U turn. Once he's disapeared over the hill behind me I'm off down the outside of the traffic cue. It seems to be nearly 3 miles long for about 400yds of roadworks opperating a convoy vehicle system. I measure the tail back the other way and that stands at 2 miles long.

Hit the north lake district point (5), still have plenty of time in hand so head up past Carlisle and in to Scotland two quick points the first in the hills behind Lockerbie (6), a taste of whats to come, reminisant of 5 weeks previous through Wales. Back down to Annan (7). The rain starts and on with the over suit. find the check point and head back south to Penrith where I'm staying overnight with my sister.

day1.jpg

510 miles completed by 1800

1 Bate Heath, Pinfold

2 Higher Walton, Kathleen Ferrier memorial

3 levens, Church bells in shelter

4 Keld, Tann hill arms

5 Aspatria, Memorial to W S Clavery

6 Eskdalemuir, Tibeten centre

7 Annan, Burns memorial

Edited by Martin Barrett

Day 2. More civilised start at 0730. Retrace steps back past Carlisle and Annan saves about an hour and a half at least by not having to do those two points I did the previous afternoon. Fast empty A road and two hours later I got point (1) done. Then head up the east coast road.

On the approach to Girvan and on through Ayr on the A77 average speed measuring cameras are being installed. I'm not sure if they're live or not. but risking no chances.

They have over head gantrys which have a camera to take evidential photo graphs and Automatic Number Plate Reader (ANPR) linked to a computer works out your speed to the next gantry.The only saving grace ist that they appear to be front readers only. I can leave this behind and head up a minor road to point (2) but have to rejoin to point (3). End up following a van towing a trailer and his tailgate is swinging free on one side. Its allready bending on the remaining hinge.

Wait for a good overtake and pull along side and shout and wave at the driver who seems to understand and stops to check. Once that point is done its head up north to skirt Glasgow to point Greenock (4). Once done across the Erskine bridge toll free for motorcycles :thumbsup: join the A82 up the side of Loch Lommond.

Lots of traffic but making good progress. Catch up with a couple of Dutch motorcycles.

I am always wary when catching up other bikes and particularly don't like getting tangled up amongst groups. past the first one a Ducati Monster and then the second a red and grey V11 Lemans. Suspect its Antonio and give him a big thumbs up as I go past. They're keeping with me as I continue my progress through the traffic but I probably throw them when I peal off down the A83.

Traffic is much lighter and cracking on. Roads starting to really wind around mountain sides. Getting good views across the bends and approach roads able to overtake around the outside, brilliant. Point (5) done and the towards Fort William but catch the Coran ferry across the Loch Linnie narrows. 12 miles of really good roads some of which have been recently resurfaced. One litle slide on a corner! Then turn off again and the roads down to single track with passing places. Have 20 miles of this for point (6).That done retrace steps back to the ferry and then on to Fort William and then Spean Bridge. And the Monster and V11Lemans are parked out side the hotel. Booking in at 2000. 530 miles.

day2.jpg

1 Logan, Fish Pool

2 Knowside, Electric Brae

3 Strathaven, Castle

4 Greenock, Free French Memorial

5 Andrishaig, Minature railway

6 Drimin, Killindine Castle

Edited by Martin Barrett

Day Three. Saturday. An early start 0630 The weather forecast was for rain coming in from the north west, just where I was headed for. Its fine at this time.

Head off towards the Isle of Skye my first check point is just short of it. Lovely roads, spectacular scenery through the deep glens. Hit first point. 80 miles done

The small petrol stations I'd passed had all been closed. but put that to time of day. I was carrying an extra 5 litres in a jerry can in one of my panniers. I head off to my next check point about 80 miles away and the next big town 60 beyond that. I'm immediatly having doubts, should I have continued in to Kyle of Lochalsh about 5 miles out my way and looked for fuel there.

The new road rapidly becomes single track and I pass a set of snow gates. Now getting a bit paranoid about my fuel. 15 miles later and I join a road coming from inland and immediately it becomes two lane a normal road as I enter a village Lochcarron. There is a Petrol station village shop and the propriator is putting out his displays. It's just turning 0800, but he's been open from 0700.

As leave the village its back to single track road. The scenery is great, the mountains here are what I guess are Bassalt plugs, going from sea level to 3000'.I had been up some of them in my RAF days.

IMG_0041.jpg

I am able to make good progress. Get a good view across the land scape to see any oncoming traffic very infrequent. And the ones I caught up with allowed me to pass at the next passing place.

IMG_0042.jpg

I continue more of the same untill check point 3 which is another pub, again I arrive at midday. But this time they are serving food. Coffee and Ham sandwich for me, Whilst there a Dutch chap on his K75 turns up and we have a nice little natter, so end up spending best part of an hour there.

Leave the northern wilds as head down to Inverness and along the north coast road out to Elgin. Traffic here is very heavy and is slow going. At Elgin come across this on the forecourt of a petrol station

IMG_0052.jpg

In my failed RAF carrers this is what I aspired to fly in. probably due to watching a

promotional video in my air cadet days with music by Vangellis.

Continue east wards and it starts to rain, traffic still heavy. Able to make some progress but in the end stop to put over suit on. Hit point (5) and then turn in land.

Lose the rear as it kicks out on a tight bend. It catches, but gave me a start and threw my foot of the peg. I think it was a stone but with the wet roads I'm now taking no chances. Leave check point (6) and the rain has stopped but roads are still a bit damp so exercising care. They dry by the time I'm in to the cairngorms.

None of this poncy zig zaging up a mountain . theres one where it goes straight up

( & down) it's good to be on a motorcycle with a surpless of power to weight, imagine being in a loaded mini bus or car strugling.

Again doing the distance fuel mental arithmetic. Need to fill up at Grantown on Spey or I won't make it back if I can't find anything else on route. Odds are good and I'm not disapointed.

Arrive back in Spean Bridge but popdown to Fort William to ensure full petrol tank for the next day.

day3.jpg

Back for 2030, 14 hrs and 630 miles done.

1 Kyle of Lochalsh, Murchison memorial

2 Cove,Convoy memorial stone

3 Crask, Crask Inn

4 Spynie, Spynie palace

5 Peathill, Dovecote

6 Alford, Railway

7 Laggan, Relief map

Edited by Martin Barrett

Day 4. Sunday. Again 0630 start, but delayed at the bike as chatting to one of the Buell owners. By the time I'd finished the rain had set in, so oversuit back on. By the time reached first check point out of the rain.

After the third point head south across the Tay again a free toll for motorcycles. But run straight into the traffic control system for the open golf at St Andrews. seemed to have a well thought out system and minimal delay. Was now into glorious sunshine and getting a bit hot in the slow traffic.

I have two incidents with traffic here one is when commencing a three vehicle overtake the third vehicle starts to do the same , luckily I've only got a wheel along side him so can get out his way dropping back.

The second is going down the outside of a long cue of cars, as an oncomming vehicle approaches, move back on to the centre line. taking up a position behind one car. The volvo driver behind then chooses to give a blast of his horn as I move further across into the gap between their vehicles. WTF, I know he's there I've just gone past him. Its purely some sort of retalitory guesture. Two can do that , take up central position and ease of so increase the gap. Don't know what he hopes to acheive. I'll be gone as soon as there's a gap in the oncoming traffic.Well once I've mulled over the merits of backing him off or not.

I'm past this line of traffic in two further moves.

I continue into Edingburgh where whilst having a drink a petrol station. I assist a dutch chap with the conversion of BAR in to PSI so he can use the air compressor to inflate a tyre on his 4X4. I give him an estimate and then point out there is a button that converts the display over. I'm pleased to say my estimate was spot on.

He relays that in the Farroes, where he'd come from that they didn't have displays on the pump. I was then able to produce my tyre pressure pencil guage from my jacket pocket. The whole world loves a smart arse.

Continue on to Coldstream (7) I had seen the odd motorcycle up to that point. but here there were hundreds it seemed, and even more so when I went through Kelso. Did point (8) and as turned south stopped for fuel. Again lots of motorcycles here. seemed that there was some sort of Festival at Kelso.

From there back to my Sisters. I'd managed to avoid getting tangled up in any of these othe groups of motorcycles. Overtaking one just before Carlisle only to find about 20 waiting in a lay by quarter of a mile down the road for it.

day4.jpg

In for 1800hrs, only 420 miles.

1 Kilin, Finlarig Castle

2 Comrie, Earthquake house

3 Glamis, Pictish stone

4 Pittenweem, Mercat cross

5 Edinburgh, Craigmillar Castle

6 East Linton, Castle

7 Coldstream, Dovecote

8 Newsteed, Trimontium stone

Edited by Martin Barrett

Day Five. onday. A 0730 start. The rain is threatening but I hope to avoid it. I decide I don't need the Jerry can so empty it in to the tank and leave it for my sidter to look after till next year.

Head off north and east in to the Northumberland moors after the second check point it's started to rain and I've doubts about leaving the petrol can behind. The fuel lights going to come on any moment and theres no petrol in the village I'd hoped to find some in. its over 20 miles to the next one, should be some but one never knows. The light comes on with 10 miles to go and the rain is heavy.

Find petrol and head off to the industrialised north east. Then track down the east coast to Scarborough where I visit the Barry Sheene memorial. I enter the Olivers mount race track and go against the racing direction. It is two way working as is based on public roads. On seeing the grid I realise how narrow the track is compared with some of the old airfield tracks.

Leave towards York and on to points north and south of Leeds. The roads are unexciting but efficient with a fair bit of dual carriageway. Last point visited and then a two hour blast down the A1.

day5.jpg

Back for 2000hrs and 500 miles.

A trip total of 2600 miles. Just wait now to see if anything nasty drops in the post over the next two weeks.

The remaining points can be covered in two single day trips, one to the midlands the other to Humberside.

1 Alston, railway

2 Holystone, Lady's well

3 Corbridge, Aydon Castle

4 Consett, Old Transformers

5 Ryhope, Ryhope engines

6 Scarborough, Barry Sheene memorial

7 Pool, Mile stone to churches

8 Ackworth, Plague stone

Edited by Martin Barrett

Goodness gracious me, Martin.

You should pop over to N.I. for brunch some day.

What was point five, day five?

The Ryhope engines.

Not allowed to show pictures yet but come October. Though some are obvious and not giving anything away. But even then you can make mistakes see above post re King George memorials :homer: and I think I got one wrong in Scotland aswell :doh: Taken the gloss off it all.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit late posting this update. Debs and the kids left me home alone week before last whilst the plasterers were coming into do the extension. After work on the Tuesday went up to join them in Grimsby, as I was Wednesday Thursday off and on nights on the Friday.

I took advantage of the journey home on Friday to pick off a few points.

rbr.jpg

A damp 0830 start, not raining but the roads were wet. So not able to make the most of the roads through the North Lincs wolds. First point a memorial to 29 years of marriage (1). Then across the Humber bridge. A £1.10 toll for motorcycles this one.

Then along to east coast for a lighthose (2). Roads drying out but only small gaps of open road between villages so get one overtake in before the next limit so not the fastest progress. Took a minor road back which was a bit more open before retracing steps back through Hull. Then boring dual carraigeway motorway and A roads.

Only made interesting when one car started to move into my lane obviously didn't know I was there, the car I was following past him wasn't going that much faster than him. Driver 1 hadn't see me come up behind this car. Why is it you can only hit the horn when going for the indicaters when getting used to the bike. I managed to put high beam on and cancel the indicaters that wern't on, before finding the horn just as I was braking and dropping back passing level with his rear passenger who didn't half jump. No indication of an apology from the driver who just took up his position and continued. He did return to the nearside lane when a larger gap appeared.

Stopping off to photo a castle (3) and then dual carraigeway all the way home. A few speed limits through villages and roadworks. Home for 1400 about 15 minutes before the family.somewhere about 250 miles.

Next installment next week when I will be doing the West midlands.

1 Somerby, Memorial to 29 years of marriage

2 Withernsea, Lighthouse

3 Newark, Castle

Edited by Martin Barrett

The End (bar one)

Did the Midlands today (allright its yesterday as is now 00005 hrs).

Set off nice and early 0505hrs, dawn had just about broken, slight cloud cover, reminded me that days were starting to shorten. Stop of to fill up . Notice that last tank was at the 11 pence per mile consumption,

Set off to wards the M1 but took the A507 to get there, would get some bends in prior to the slab. Spot a CBR parked up with rider along side, seems he'd run out of petrol, the bike had been in for a service and they'd switched it to reserve and he didn't realise. Guzzi fuel light (if working) ensures this can't happen Honda - nil, Guzzi - one. Offer to give him a lift back to the petrol station about 3 miles seemed to be open despite the early time of day, He declined as had the AA on route. Lots of Karma for me.

Unfortuneatly the Karma doesn't ward of the rain fairies. Just as I reach the M1 there is a light misty drizzle. 10 minutes up the motorway and its propper rain. No sign of it disapating. I press on, mulling over the decision to put my oversuit on. But its too late. Leave the motorway for the A5 an old roman road (watling street)Still raining heavily. slow progress past the heavys due to the amount of spray being kicked up.

First check point part of the battle of Bosworth It's still raining. I notice that water is getting into my tank bag and that the pedal bin liner that i use inside has seen better days and water is getting past it. I reajust in attempt to keep the map book dry. Individual printed maps and directions are in plastic file pockets so should be reasonably safe..

Continue on, its still raining. As I approach Burton on Trent there is a police car closing an access of a round about. Luckily its not the one I want. But that means someones having a worse time in the rain than I. Some water has found its way between my trouser and jacket waist band and the gloves are starting to soak it up as well. Next check point achieved. Rain eases for the photo, but soon returns.

Soon come across another mangled car, police are in attendance. A fire chief goes rushing past and back down towards this. aslo a third police car and a bit later I see an ambulance also making in that direction. Still raining, hands are damp, gloves saturated, and I'm getting wet as well. Spot fuel and refill 130 miles and light has just come on. managed 10 pence per mile, and this petrol is a penny a litre more expensive. Wonderfull what a bit of rain does for fuel ecconomy. I considerd putting my over suit on , under my cordura suit :) but decide against it. I'm wet but not cold.

Next check point is another War of the Roses battlefield. It's raining.

Next is a 17th centuary dovecote in the middle of a Wolverhampton housing estate. Light rain. Water is rung from my gloves as I squeeze the grips or even pull the levers.

next is a memorial to a VC holder from the Somme, rain pauses I'm out through to the other side of the front. Unfortuneatly this is my most westerly point and I've now got to go back under the rain clouds, which duely oblige by raining on me.

next two points are to the south of Birmingham. Then its back off south, still in the rain. Stop at a motorway service station for bit of a break and a bite to eat, now nine hours in. leaving damp trail behind me there and very slippy under foot.

Back into the rain to get my last point. It's one I'd allready done but hadn't backed up the photo so was lsot when my machine was restored.

Now on the way home in the rain. My left hand is acheing. Not sure if I've strained it trying to carry, helmet,tank bag and sodden jacket in one hand and tray in other at the service station. Or if it's just the fact its cold and wet, and having to sqeeze the water out of the gloves.

lastday.jpg

Back by just after 1600hrs, so about 11 hours, 370 miles.

Only the one check point to (re)do The local one which I did outside of the permitted time frame.

So thats 12 days ( and one for which the photos were all lost and redone on other days) and two quick jaunts and about 5,700 miles (another 300 miles on lost day)

so thats me without direction and purpose in life now. Perhaps I'll try and do next years in one go in 10 consecutive days (don't think Debs will allow that)

1 Shenton, memorial to Richard III

2 Repton, Village cross

3 Blore Heath, memorial to battle

4 Pendeford, Dovecote

5 Quatt, VC memorial

6 Coughton, Village cross

7 Tardebigge, Memorial to founding of the IWA

8 Lee Common, Diamond Jubilee Well

(it is tomorrow now 0240- I type slow, not helped by doing it at work which gets in the way)

Edited by Martin Barrett

The Ryhope engines.

Not allowed to show pictures yet but come October. Though some are obvious and not giving anything away. But even then you can make mistakes see above post re King George memorials  :homer:  and I think I got one wrong in Scotland aswell :doh: Taken the gloss off it all.

Only about five miles from me.

Why taken the gloss off it? Maybe it's not perfect but I'm sure it's been jolly good fun.

mike