How to Replace the Front Brake Switch

dlaing

After waiting many weeks for a replacement front brake switch, someone on this forum suggested going to an electronics store and getting a switch there.

So, off to Radio Shack® I went and found:

part number 275-016A

Submini Lever Switch

SPDT (single pole double throw)

rated at 5A at 125/250VAC

EDIT: please note that it is not water tight. Water resistant ones are listed later in this discussion.

Cherry® was the OE MG part number 30 74 98 60

and Zippi® is the Radio Shack®

fbrakeswitch.JPG

I had to yank out the switch guide.

And I snipped the NO (normally open) terminal.

fbrakeswitchmod.JPG

Because the Zippi® male terminals were a little too short, I filed down the white insulated female terminal insulators so the connectors could go on far enough.

Here is a picture before the filing, The after the filing shot was too fuzzy...damn auto-focus!

fbrakeconnect.jpg

If anyone knows of any other replacement part numbers, please post.

I imagine there are some Ducati part numbers that might match up, too.

Guest Nogbad

Note the rubber boot and external lever pivot on the OE "Cherry" switch. This Cherry switch is IP67 sealed against water ingress. The Radio Shack switch may have the same dimensions but is not a waterproof switch. If you only ride in the summer, ok. If you ride in the winter or in the rain I don't give that new switch much of a chance.

In the UK these Cherry switches can be bought from RS Components part number 290-0491 for £2-63. They are also available with potted flying leads at £3-51, part no 320-506

Switches here

post-1630-1110717139_thumb.jpg

post-1630-1110717179_thumb.jpg

RS Components will accept international orders.

Note the rubber boot and external lever pivot on the OE "Cherry" switch. This Cherry switch is IP67 sealed against water ingress. The Radio Shack switch may have the same dimensions but is not a waterproof switch. If you only ride in the summer, ok. If you ride in the winter or in the rain I don't give that new switch much of a chance.

In the UK these Cherry switches can be bought from RS Components part number 290-0491 for £2-63. They are also available with potted flying leads at £3-51, part no 320-506

Switches here

W290049_01.jpg

C197770_02.jpg

RS Components will accept international orders.

46102[/snapback]

good catch,

it also available from Elfa

http://www.elfa.se/elfa-bin/setpage.pl?htt...pl?dok=1801.htm

Thanks!

I don't ride much in the rain, but this winter has been an exception... :angry:

(EDIT 7/3/07 the non-waterproof switch is still going strong!!! But the best news is that Pyro Dan sells them cheap, http://www.dpguzzi.com/switch.htm So, I better order one before the rain finally kills my RadioShlock switch)

Following the link to Elfa they showed an Omron switch. So, I did a quick search and found from:

http://www.mouser.com/

Mouser Part #: 653-D2SW-3HS

Mfr. Part #: D2SW-3HS

Mfr.: Omron Electronics LLC

oops those numbers are for solder connection

For terminal, use:

Mouser Part #: 653-D2SW-3TS

Mfr. Part #: D2SW-3TS

They also have the wire on type for those who like to solder...

Guest Nogbad

When I have to change mine I shall go for the version with potted in flying leads and will resite the connectors somewhere dry. Same goes for the clutch switch if that plays up. I won't bother shortening the loom, just loop up the excess cable and zip tie it.

I don't think the spade connectors are well served by being outside in the elements. I already had to clean mine twice to get the stop lamp back. Nothing wrong with the switch just corrosion on the connectors.