2003 Rosso Corsa ECU Connector Interference

Mike Stewart

Rosso_computer_3.jpgRosso_computer_4.jpgWell, it turned out to be a nice day afterall, things are warming up in California :sun: . I was working on the 1100S and decided to get the Rosso ready to ride tomorrow. Turned on the key and she cranked over slowly. OK, no problem, I will put a slow charge on the Battery. I pull up the seat and I notice that the ECU wiring connector is being pushed down by the seat (no, not my ass). Humm, I pull off the seat from my 2000 V11 Sport and find that the computer is turned 180 degrees the other direction. So, the seats are different between the different years but there is more clearence when the connector of the ECU is pointed toward the rear of the bike. You might want to check your bike to see where your ECU connector is pointing :huh2: .

Mike

Hmm...another one of those constant Guzzi changes? :mg:

My 04's ECU is turned upside down from those. The rubber pegs it sits on are high enough to let the wiring harness clear the plate underneath.

Randy

Guest ratchethack

Mine was like Mike's too (Y2K). It appeared that the wires out of the back of the connector had been repeatedly mashed against the bottom of the seat when the seat flexed going over hard bumps. I decided this wasn't a long-term healthy situation for the connector and re-mounted the ECU with the connector facing downwards - now there's adequate clearance & no more mashing of the connector. :thumbsup:

Mike,

I have a 2003 Rosso Corsa also and the ECU is the same way up as in Randy's pic - so it look like they put yours in upside down for sure. Obvioulsy a new Luigi first day on the job :(

Mine is like Mike's and Tx

The connector is toward the rear and facing up, ready for easy power commander attachment!

I thought all the 2001/2002 were like that....guess I was wrong.

But it might be a good idea to flip it over to protect the wiring, plus it looks better cooling fins up :grin:

Guest dopiata

My bike, 2001 V11 ...

Has the connector up as well.

I checked, and it is not rubbing at all.

I am in the process of mod'ing it ... so have not turned it down.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Mine had the wires up and they are (were) quite mushed together (no insulation displacement). Separated all of the wires, flipped the ECU over and I still have a problem with the ECU fuse blowing. Not likely the connector though. I don't see any real need to change the orientation of the ECU unless you're uncomfortable with how it sits in your bike at present.

Rosso_computer_3.jpgSoooo,

After alot of thinking :rasta: , I decided to mount the ECU like my 00 V11 Sport. Reason being is if the PCIII goes out, all I have to do to get back on the road is unplug the PCIII and plug in the factory ECU connector :notworthy: . Presto, back on the road again :thumbsup: . I do not carry a 7mm socket wrench in my tool bag :not:, so I figure just plug and play and down the road if there is any PCIII issues :race: .

Mike :2c:

Counter Point: I never knew it was on wrong until it was pointed out here :huh2: Now like Carl. I too noticed that wires were always mushed, but figured it was real easy to plug & unplug the PC 111.

I bought one of the first PC 111's & was skeptical of its reliability . I think real world testing has shown that 99% of the time you're never going to need to unplug it because it failed . So Mike I think you should mount it like the new ones & if your worried carry a 7mm nut driver :2c: