nitrogen tyre inflation

Guest callithrix

Guest Nogbad
Why not?  In this country alone they sell billions of dollars of bottled water each year when the same stuff comes out of your kitchen faucet for free.

Go figure.....  :huh2:

-Mike

46772[/snapback]

Too right!

this is such a funny story.... selling air!!

IF the claim is right: no or very little N is leaking through the tire...

so when the tire looses pressure it basically leaks out everything but the N.....

so in the end you have filled your tires completely with N.... 

jasper :cheese:

46700[/snapback]

Jasper, that is beautiful logic. I salute you, sir.

I don't know if anyone gets Showtime in europe but they have this little show hosted by Penn & Teller called Bullsh*t and all they do is debunk such urban myths and common misbeliefs. its one heck of a brilliant show, nothing but facts with lots of laughs and almost no tact. I watched one on the bottled water craze and 75% preferred tap water in a blind taste test. At a restaurant ppl were paying $7 a bottle for water they thought was special, (yeah specially filled with a garden hose out back) they've debunked Fung Shui, Male Enhancements, Landfill crisis, Second hand smoke, Psychics, Alien conventions, baby mozart crap ect. If I can get the show on DVD I'll look at burning a few of the excellent segments for ppl and, or just inform where to pick it up. :bier:

:mg:

Guest Nogbad

Coca-Cola had to abandon Dasani water in the UK just a few days after the launch when it was found to have bromide in it! That really takes some doing, taking fresh healthy London tap water, passing it through a multi million pound plant and having it come out illegally carcinogenic the other side ready for sale to the mug punters.

There should be a corporate Darwin award.

Coca-Cola had to abandon Dasani water in the UK just a few days after the launch when it was found to have bromide in it! That really takes some doing, taking fresh healthy London tap water, passing it through a multi million pound plant and having it come out illegally carcinogenic the other side ready for sale to the mug punters.

There should be a corporate Darwin award.

46826[/snapback]

I think bromides could be the result of cleaning fluids. When I remember right this stuff is found in beer also from time to time.

In the region where I live there once were found nitrogene derivates in high priced wines. It was a quite scandalous affair, because they found out that the wine maker optimised his wine using faucet water (and some sweet things like glycol and so). The nitrogene (or better nitrate) is alowed in the faucet water but not in wine.

Nitrogene is also standard in high pressure race bicycle tyres.

Hubert

I don't know if anyone gets Showtime in europe but they have this little show hosted by Penn & Teller called Bullsh*t and all they do is debunk such urban myths and common misbeliefs.

On Discovery Channel they have a similar show: "Mythbusters". Very funny and educational: like f.i. a raw egg in a leaking car radiator; will it plug the hole? Yes!

Everybody's water is radioactive to some degree. 

Do you remember what they measured and how much?

I can't find that report, but it was suggested that we don't drink it. We've always used bottled water for drinking & cooking because the water from the well taste like crap.

They did say that in this area the findings were within limits set by the state & that a new well would probably be the same .

I can't find that report, but it was suggested that we don't drink it. We've always used bottled water for drinking & cooking because the water from the well taste like crap.

They did say that in this area the findings were within limits set by the state & that  a new well would probably    be the same .

46925[/snapback]

I think this explains your snake like tongue but I am not sure about your lengthy endowment.

Sue the bastards!!!!

But if that lengthy endowment is a a result, send them a thank you card. :2c:

I agree- I don't think I would want to drink well water from the Houston area. Too many refineries and too many chemical plants with less-than-stellar waste treatment histories.

Here in IA, we are in a Radon belt, so that's what we get. Well, that and farm runoff (Nitrates/Phosphates) in the well water.

• 16 years later...

There are two main reasons to use N2 to inflate your tires;

1) Unlike air, which is the mixture that we all know about, you are using a "purer" gas. N2 has larger molecules than the 21% O2 contained in the air you inflate your tires with. Permeability will drain the gas from your tires, a little slower if you used N2.

2) Pressure sustaining: in compressed air, you have H2O vapor. This can affect your tire pressure incredibly if temperatures change drastically. This is where a "pure" gas is drier than air. I experienced this issue first hand. I was driving to Dallas from Houston, and Dallas was considerably cooler than H'town. I got a TPS warning en route; I carry an air compressor in my car, so I adjusted the pressure on the fly. But all of my four tires needed inflation.

Costco offers free N2 inflation now. They have installed self service N2 stations.

This brings me to the one issue I had: the Costco pressure chuck is straight, and there is no way you will be able to use it on your V11.... unless you have installed 90 degrees elbows valve extensions.

Has anyone done that?