gerbing electrics and guzzi dying

fernando

i have or may have a problem.

yesterday , saturday my battery died after 200 miles of riding.

i started out with a fully charged battery .

it was cold and therefore i plugged in my electric clothing as follows:

i had plugged in

socks ---22 watts

jacket---77 watts

gloves---22 watts

total watts 121.

can my 2002 le mans handle this ?

or is the problem elsewhere?

i am bringing the bike to branchville on wednesday to have it checked out because i have also added a gorilla alarm , and other small item like a garmin gps.removable.

the bike seems to lose battery charge over 3 days if not plugged in to a charger.

any ideas out there ?

also, while i was riding ,the rpm needle would drop to zero whenever i used the brakes,the horn ,or the signal indicators.

once i unplugged the electric clothing the needle behaved normally.

my question is ,is the rpm needle also an amp meter watching over the battery.

the needle started to behave like this as the battery was near its end ,about 180 miles after starting out. at 190 miles i disconnected the clothing.

at 200 miles we stopped for cofee and the bike would not re-start.the red light was on when i tried to start the bike and the battery was dead.

thank you

To add a little bit- the V11 alternator is listed at 350 W (I bet that's optimistic). You've got 121 +accessories, headlight (poorly wired), taillight, computer, tach, etc.

Prolly the best thing you can do is unhook one of your accessories. One other thing you might consider is rewiring the headlight a la Gary Cheek's suggestion to route it through heavier gauge wire and a relay. Ultimately, the charging is marginal. Sorry.

any ideas out there ?

47174[/snapback]

1. Keep the RPMs up. Even with just the stock lighting, below about 2000rpm you are losing charge.

With all that you have on, you probably need 4000 RPM just to break even, if you can even break even :huh2:

2. Replacing the alternator would be an expensive endeavor, but possible.

3. A Bigger battery will still run out of charge, it will just take longer, but you may be able to get by with charging nightly.

4. Think Green! Be more energy efficient. A LED tail lamp will save you a whopping 4 Watts and even more when you apply the brakes, but momentary useage like brakes, horns, signal lights won't save much going to the battery.

An HID headlight will save you about 20 Watts!

5.You might be able to sacrifice some of your heating by putting resistors in line with your clothes.

Brush Guards help keep the wind off of your hands.

Fairing lowers may be enough for your feet, but it may also be an expensive upgrade.

while going thruogh my old stuff in the garage i found my 1980's hippo hands.

i used them in my 1980 honda c900cb.

for those of you who do not know what this is ,they are large ,envelopes that fit very loosely around the handlebars .

you push them in towards the front and over the brake fluid container ,etc', once at the end you velcro it closed and to make matters better you can add a few pieces of old newspapers.

you then place your hands inside and grab the bars ,as you would do normally.

the hippo hands extend all the way to your elbow.

the outside is leather and the inside is sheepskin.

no need to wear gloves even in 15 degree weather.

just tried them out on the guzzi and my hands sweated .outside temperaure 38 degrees..went out at 7 pm and was out for 1 hour or so.

better than electric gloves.........

any of you remember them ????

now for the torso and legs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we havee to invent something.........

I had a pair of Hippo Hands years ago. They were great. Gave them to a friend who rode his Wing year round. At temperatures below 15 degrees F all I needed was a pair of cotton gloves to stay toasty. Wish I had them back.

The wife and I ride in the winter, each of us wearing a Widder vest, and have seen no ill effects on the charging system on either bike.

while going thruogh my old stuff in the garage i found my 1980's hippo hands.

i used them in my 1980 honda c900cb.

for those of you who do not know what this is ,they are large ,envelopes that fit very loosely around the handlebars .

you push them in towards the front and over the brake fluid container ,etc',  once at the end you velcro it closed and to make matters better you can add a few pieces of old newspapers.

you then place your hands inside and grab the bars ,as you would do normally.

the hippo hands extend all the way to your elbow.

the outside is leather and the inside is sheepskin.

no need to wear gloves even in 15 degree weather.

just tried them out on the guzzi and my hands sweated .outside temperaure 38 degrees..went out at 7 pm and was out for 1 hour or so.

better than electric gloves.........

any of you remember them ????

now for the torso and legs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we havee to invent something.........

47339[/snapback]

One guy apparently still makes them: Hippo hands

Doesn't have them for Guzzis, mostly makes them for BMW's, but he might be convinced to turn out a few pair.

Fernando,

I have the same winter wear as you listed and my battery died as well in a couple of hundred miles. It was easy to push start however. I plan next season to pull the headlight fuse since I would be riding only during the day. This apparently doesn't kill the pilot light located in the headlight so you still have a light on while riding. (I ride my '75 Triumph Trident like this 100% of its daytime riding and have never been stopped in over twenty years).

fsrank

How cold is it where you ride? Not to underestimate your local weather or distance covered, but modern all-weather clothing is pretty good. The girlfriend has a Bering jacket that'll just about melt ice cream and it's not electric.

Guest Cleveland Steve

i have or may have a problem.

yesterday , saturday my battery died after 200 miles of riding.

i started out with a fully charged battery .

it was cold and therefore i plugged in my electric clothing as follows:

i had plugged in

socks ---22 watts

jacket---77 watts

gloves---22 watts

total watts 121.

can my 2002 le mans handle this ?

or is the problem elsewhere?

i am bringing the bike to branchville on wednesday t

ok ,just got the bike back from branchville .

alex tells me that the charging system is perfect.14.1 14.2.

therefore ,it is the electric clothing that did it.

i guess i need a wing for the winter.

the gerbing people did an anlysis for me and they tell me that my teni puts out 300 watts..........period.

the specs on my bike are--------

25a x 14v alt. with 13 ah battery.......=300 watts.more or less

well ,the electric switch for the headlights is a must.

and,i was told that the cleanest way to do it is by getting the handlebar mounted switch from europe.

if you look at our switches ,usa bikes ,there is a small plate on top . next to the horn and indicator lights.........the euro model has a switch where this plate is.this is the headlight switch.

getting one next time i am in europe.

if any of you guys in europe are near berlin,dresden prague munchen or zurich please let me know. i am planning to hit those cities with some friends in october and can pick it up then from you. of course i will pay you in advance for the switch.

fernando

well ,the electric switch for the headlights is a must.

and,i was told that the cleanest way to do it is by getting the handlebar mounted switch from europe.

if you look at our switches ,usa bikes ,there is a small plate on top . next to the horn and indicator lights.........the euro model has a switch where this plate is.this is the headlight switch.

getting one next time i am in europe.

fernando

47544[/snapback]

Hi Fernando what does this Euro switch do? Does it enable one to ride and not have the headlight going? I guess it has an "OFF", "LOW" then "HIGH" positions? I don't imagine it takes the place of wiring in a relay as some have suggested? Inquiring minds are wondering :P