Introduction Thread

al_roethlisberger

Hi All,

bit of a story here... if you can be bothered to read.

I have been into bikes for 30years and for the last 28years have been modifying as a hobby. Back in 96 i saw a european customising book and saw a guzzi in it that inspired me to do my guzzi.

It started out as a stock standard Mille GT and became this bike

14562372094_193f0029fe_b.jpg

I have always thought that out of all the bikes around, the Guzzi's were the ideal bike to be a cafe racer and during my build of the Mille GT Moto Guzzi released the V11. I looked at it and thought that this is the bike Guzzi was designed to be, classic but modern cafe racer. After having the bike on the road for a month I hit a kangaroo doing 130km/hr which hurt a bit but luckily the bike had very little damage - I hit the kangaroo in the head with the left handlebar and crashed on the verge of the road. It was rebuilt in a month. Unfortunately after a divorce i  sold the bike back in 2004.

So after reconnecting with a Guzzi friend this year and finding he was selling his V11 naked Lemans for $6500 I jumped at the chance. It was running well enough but ratty and neglected as he has a Coppa as well. So  I put new bearing in the wheels, new brakes and tyres, grips, mirrors, levers and took it for a spin around the block. Fantastic.

Then the next week I thought, great finally a chance to take it for a ride to a friends place. Then I wake in hospital, broken ribs, shoulder blade, abrasions and smashed fingers on the right hand where they were crushed between the lever and bars as it came down. My 2nd crash in 30years and by far the worst and still recovering with the finger injuries. https://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/albums/72157666411184082

Most importantly, the bike was still insured as suffered only minor injuries which i am in the process of repairing although I have chosen now to customise a little from stock.

So howdy to all from Down Under.

If you want to see some of the bikes I've made then you can see them here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/albums/72157649040687986 i still have the Ducati ST2 Cafe Racer and I am also building a TRX850 cafe racer here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/knumbnutz/albums/72157663078808300

• Like 2

The ST2 is actually water cooled but with the fins on the heads it sure looks like the aircooled motor.

Yeah the recovery is going well, just the fingers to go. Thanks

Looks like a brutal crash, hope you recover soon.. I like the Ducati build I've always liked those older air cooled ducs in naked form.

• 2 months later...

New here, been soaking up all the info this site has on the V11 sport. Have my eye on a 2001 Greenie V11 Sport. I spotted a Greenie at the MGNOC national rally this year and immediately fell in love with that bike. So now I'm looking for one to add o the stable. Currently tour on a 2012 Norge and the hooligan in me, I ride the Super Duke.

Have my eye on a 2001 Greenie V11 Sport.   I spotted a Greenie at the MGNOC national rally this year and immediately fell in love it, so I got to get one!!

Fly and Ride.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/5684352803.html

no association with seller, disclaimer, disclaimer, etc.

Hi,

I'm not really new here, but expect to have my first V11 Sport this week.

Looking forward to actively join this forum.

Jan

Well , you can tell us the year , color , etc....

The color is burgundy red, it should be produced in 2002, but was used until the end of 2005 by the factory for publicity purposes. It was sold in 2006 to an Italian and then in this last July imported to the Netherlands with 15.000km on the clock. It looks and rides like it is completely new. After 17 years of Tonti's, the gearbox and clutch was the first shocking improvement. But all together it handles much easier as well as the old LeMansII.

I was looking for a V11 Sport or a Griso for some time, but actually like the looks of the V11 Sport better.

When I have the possibility I post a picture. But I need to upload it first and don't have access to my site from this PC.

Hi,

I'm not really new here, but expect to have my first V11 Sport this week.

Looking forward to actively join this forum.

Jan

Well , you can tell us the year , color , etc....

The color is burgundy red, it should be produced in 2002, but was used until the end of 2005 by the factory for publicity purposes. It was sold in 2006 to an Italian and then in this last July imported to the Netherlands with 15.000km on the clock. It looks and rides like it is completely new. After 17 years of Tonti's, the gearbox and clutch was the first shocking improvement. But all together it handles much easier as well as the old LeMansII.

I was looking for a V11 Sport or a Griso for some time, but actually like the looks of the V11 Sport better.

When I have the possibility I post a picture. But I need to upload it first and don't have access to my site from this PC.

WP_20160809_19_37_34_Pro.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just acquired a 2001 V11 Sport this morning, so figure I should sign up in case I have any questions about this creature or need moral support. My initial impression is that it is like a tractor in a cocktail dress ( do I get banned for saying that? ) I actually like it a lot. I have ridden a few different motorcycles over the last 4+ decades and like this ones personality.

• Like 3

" . . . a tractor in a cocktail dress . . ."  That's funny, I don't care who ya are. :grin:

I've been known to liken the V11 to a *heavy* girl in high heels. Yeah, you can dance with her, but might get hurt . . . :o

...it is like a tractor in a cocktail dress ( do I get banned for saying that? ) 

You are hereby and henceforth banned from riding other motorcycles.