Introduction Thread

al_roethlisberger

Hi Surj,

Congrats on the sweet Rosso!  We should put together a local ride sometime.

The long-awaited Surf'n Spine Raid!   :sun:  :rasta:  :pic: 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All, I'm new to the forum but not to guzzis.

Bought my first one in '84. A '72 850T. It was parked in a field, rusty and unloved.

Paid $150 for it and hauled it home. I stripped the whole bike down to bare metal, repainted and re chromed it and enjoyed my guzzi until it got destroyed in a fire.

Broke my heart.

20 years later, after going through several japanese bikes I was ready for something different.

That's when I discovered the v11 sport. It seemed a perfect evolution of the 850T an was exactly what I was looking for.

I bought the cheapest one I could find on ebay, even though that's not necessarily a good idea. It was on the opposite coast and I chose to ride it across the country, even tho that's not necessarily a good idea.

So I hopped on a flight to Orlando, paid cash for the bike and rode interstate 10 back to California then up 5 to norcal. It was an adventurous trip with a few problems but nothing I couldn't overcome.

I love my v11. I've finally learned to get the most out of the massive front brakes. On a recent ride with various ninja types the v11 was cornering with the best of them and impressed several skeptics.

Me, I'm a welder/fabricator, comercial truck and racecar builder and a collector of fine machines. Born in norcal, raised all over the world, I enjoy different/unique cars and bikes. Anything italian, german or French is preferred over American or Japanese.

Ride on, friends

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

nice story porsdude.. welcome

Thanks. There was alot more to tell but I was short on time:-)

Uh oh..  :)  :rasta: Mr. Hagan.. Mr. Hagan to the courtesy phone, please.. 

• Like 1

. . . I've finally learned to get the most out of the massive front brakes. . . .

Pray tell?
What I mean to say is I've learned to trust that the front won't skid when braking from high speed and if you want to make a hard turn, use the front brake.

In the past, when entering a curve at high rate of speed, I would squeeze the front and rear brakes gently for fear of locking and track out to edge of turn, almost crashing.

Now I've learned I can take any tight turn fast just by honking on front brake and turning in. What a thrilling revelation!! Learning to use the front brake has taken the fear out of the twisty mountain roads. Yeay!

• Like 1

Bought my first one in '84. A '72 850T. It was parked in a field, rusty and unloved.

Paid $150 for it and hauled it home. I stripped the whole bike down to bare metal, repainted and re chromed it and enjoyed my guzzi until it got destroyed in a fire.

Broke my heart.

20 years later, after going through several japanese bikes I was ready for something different.

That's when I discovered the v11 sport. It seemed a perfect evolution of the 850T an was exactly what I was looking for.

I bought the cheapest one I could find on ebay, even though that's not necessarily a good idea. It was on the opposite coast and I chose to ride it across the country, even tho that's not necessarily a good idea.

So I hopped on a flight to Orlando, paid cash for the bike and rode interstate 10 back to California then up 5 to norcal. It was an adventurous trip with a few problems but nothing I couldn't overcome.

I love my v11. I've finally learned to get the most out of the massive front brakes. On a recent ride with various ninja types the v11 was cornering with the best of them and impressed several skeptics.

Me, I'm a welder/fabricator, comercial truck and racecar builder and a collector of fine machines. Born in norcal, raised all over the world, I enjoy different/unique cars and bikes. Anything italian, german or French is preferred over American or Japanese.

Ride on, friends

Did I miss the part where you posted pictures of the V11?  :ninja:

Also I believe I can't believe that Guzzi had a 850T (Loop) and an 850-T (Tonti), but then again they are Italian...  :grin:

Broke my heart.

Ride on, friends

Did I miss the part where you posted pictures of the V11? :ninja:

Also I believe I can't believe that Guzzi had a 850T (Loop) and an 850-T (Tonti), but then again they are Italian... :grin:

I think mine was tonti.

Here's a photo of it in '88

Restored and slightly modded with cafe front fender and sportster rear. Still needed new mufflers and seat cover to be finished.

My v11 is this one, mentioned in another post.

Currently it's disassembled for repaint in black and red like the Tac1a448a67f22bed740d0c6093805ec7.jpg64f8002bdb637b02e8d65a677bdf53dc.jpg

Broke my heart.

Ride on, friends

Did I miss the part where you posted pictures of the V11? :ninja:

Also I believe I can't believe that Guzzi had a 850T (Loop) and an 850-T (Tonti), but then again they are Italian... :grin:

I think mine was tonti.

Here's a photo of it in '88

Restored and slightly modded with cafe front fender and sportster rear. Still needed new mufflers and seat cover to be finished.

My v11 is this one, mentioned in another post.

Currently it's disassembled for repaint in black and red like the Tac1a448a67f22bed740d0c6093805ec7.jpg64f8002bdb637b02e8d65a677bdf53dc.jpg

The backpack on the tank is the same one I bought in Georgia during my original trip home. The straps fit the plastic tank well.

The 850-T was 1974-1975. Even then I suspect the 75s were just left over 74s. The T3 came right on its heels in 75. As many 850-Ts as one sees you think they had made a ton of the but the truth is they just last forever.

Surprised docc hasn’t kicked you off the forum for painting a silver V11 red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprised docc hasn’t kicked you off the forum for painting a silver V11 red. emoji12.png

I love seeing modded V11! Adds value to my hi-mile Silver :huh2:  Sport . The ol' girl must be worth at least as much as a basic major kitchen appliance.

You know, like a dishwasher or something really interesting like that. :oldgit:

• Like 1

The 850-T was 1974-1975. Even then I suspect the 75s were just left over 74s. The T3 came right on its heels in 75. As many 850-Ts as one sees you think they had made a ton of the but the truth is they just last forever.

Thanks for the correction. I'm sure it was a '74, not a 72 as I stated.

I've had my v11 for 14 years and it's beginning to show on the old girl. Plus I'm getting a little bored. Time for a makeover. I'm thinking in the direction of the old triumph fairing conversion or something similar