Introduction Thread

al_roethlisberger

23 hours ago, LowRyter said:

Bob, You might consider getting a brace for the gearbox that bolts the bellhousing to the frame (for Red Frame bikes like yours).  This will prevent cracking the transmission case.  I am not aware of any factory braces being available but the tech I know in Okla City fabricated some kits (brace + fasteners) based upon fixing my bike.  I'd recommend the brace as a preventative measure.  Talk to Don at Motiv Cycleworks.

http://www.motivcycleworks.com/

You can also research the issue on the forum by doing a search.  I think once you read and see the photos you'll understand the risks.

pretty bike silver + black.

Thanks, I’ve messaged Don thru the website, if I don’t hear from him, I’ll give a call.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am 51 years old and reside in Redmond, WA - Been fortunate enough to live and work in many countries.  I have been involved with motorcycle (and cars for that matter) since the age of reason!  More than anything I consider myself a student of motorcycle design and its intricate inner workings (some would say a mechanic). 

I have built, raced and cared for many motorcycles over the years - some more fun than others and some more memorable than others.  My first bike was an 1980 Suzuki A100 built into a 125cc road racer.  This was my first rotary valve two stroke engine.  My first full on restoration was when I was 16 and it was a 1959 Gilera B300 twin - this is one of the most memorable ones.

I few years ago, I decided to parts ways with the corporate world and decided to open a motorcycle shop - after all, I had to do something with the almost 50 motorcycles I had accumulated through the years of frustrating corporate work.

I don't have that many anymore, but I still have too many, which makes it extremely ironic that I signed up to the forum with the sole purpose of researching whether to get a 1100 Sport or a V11 Lemans. 

Here is a list of memorable bikes I have owned throughout the last 30 odd years:

• 1959 Gilera B300 Bicilindrica
  • 1960 Gilera B300 Extra Bicilindrica
  • 1999 Laverda 750 S Formula
  • 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
  • 1968 Benelli 250 Racer (fully built by me)
  • 2000 Ducati 750SS (half fairing)
  • 1999 MuZ Skorpion 660
  • 1962 Matchless G12
  • 1978 Yamaha XS650 (first full custom hard tail I ever built)
  • 1992 NSR250R SP
  • Suzuki A100 Racer (don't know the year - already a race bike when I bought it)
  • 1975 Suzuki T500
  • 1988 Honda NT650 Hawk (I've owned 4 of them)
  • 1987 Honda VFR750

There are many more, but I want to keep this short and only as an introduction.  

Anyway, happy to be here and I look forward to meeting some of you... Cheers!

• Like 5

Welcome, get both bikes :rasta:

Cheers Tom.

• Like 5

Welcome, and looking at your list I'll bet you would rather have an 1100 sport. They are more "mechanical." Nothing subtle about them.  My Kid has a carb Spot and says it's the best credit card sport touring bike ever.

The V11 Sports are definitely more refined, and the last of the *real* Guzzis. Both are kool..

• Like 1

Thank you for making me welcomed - I'll start a thread in the appropriate space to talk about the V11 and 1100 Sport.  If I'm honest, I like the looks of 1100 sport and it seems to be a more focused ride.  However, the V11 Lemans is a hell of a bike as well...  Not in a hurry!

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hello,

So I started getting the itch for another air cooled Italian.
I came to motorcycles fairly late in life after decades of being a bike freak (the pedal kind). 
My first motto was a Sporster, which grew a bit boring after a few months.
Bike number 2 was a shiny new 2003 Ducati M1000 that turned out to be may first moto love for a number of reasons, but went to a new home in 2010.
I have had a handful of bikes since then and still do, but not an Italian so before my time runs out I decided to give in to the desire. I have always been Guzzi curious and even looked at the Lemans when I purchased the Monster but landed on the lighter less $$ machine at the time.

Anyway, I hunted down a Rosso Corsa and brought it home. It's a 2003 with 20k miles, good shape but a few items to sort out. I'm looking forward to playing around with it and I am already appreciative of this forum for the tech information. 

Marco69 - I am just up the road from you and you are welcome to a close look and ride to see what the v11 is like. I also really like the 1100 sport and considered one that popped up at SUB a while back. It's a good place to look for cool bikes. They have a 81 Lemans, Centuro, and MGS-01 at the moment.

Ducati m1000.JPG

moto guzzi lemans.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, X goose said:

Hello,

I came to motorcycles fairly late in life after decades of being a bike freak (the pedal kind). 
Bike number 2 was a shiny new 2003 Ducati M1000 that turned out to be may first moto love for a number of reasons, but went to a new home in 2010.
I have had a handful of bikes since then and still do, but not an Italian so before my time runs out I decided to give in to the desire. I have always been Guzzi curious and even looked at the Lemans when I purchased the Monster but landed on the lighter less $$ machine at the time.

Anyway, I hunted down a Rosso Corsa and brought it home. It's a 2003 with 20k miles, good shape but a few items to sort out. I'm looking forward to playing around with it and I am already appreciative of this forum for the tech information. 

Marco69 - I am just up the road from you and you are welcome to a close look and ride to see what the v11 is like. I also really like the 1100 sport and considered one that popped up at SUB a while back. It's a good place to look for cool bikes. They have a 81 Lemans, Centuro, and MGS-01 at the moment.

Ducati m1000.JPG

moto guzzi lemans.jpeg

Welcome X! Both beautiful bikes. this forum will be a great source for sorting the RC. The SUB link is interesting. The '81 LeMans seems reasonably priced.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, X goose said:

Hello,

Ducati m1000.JPG

moto guzzi lemans.jpeg

Evidently, if one is going to X(pect a) goose, one must assume The Position. :o:whistle:;)

701074565_xgoose.thumb.jpeg.fa2b8ff99126

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, X goose said:

Thank You Sir!
It takes way more than reality to offend me ;-)

No one has to explain their avatar or their username, but that avatar  . . .  not sure what that alloy panel is . . .

Pretty sure it's not a tattoo (but it could be!! B) )

29 minutes ago, docc said:

No one has to explain their avatar or their username, but that avatar  . . .  not sure what that alloy panel is . . .

Pretty sure it's not a tattoo (but it could be!! B) )

lol perfect avatar!

it's a ww2 aircraft cowl... I'm guessing F4F maybe? Chuck?

• Like 1