Introduction Thread

al_roethlisberger

intro?

2000 Sport.

first "real" motorcycle. Daily ride is a '65 stock Lambretta. Have clocked more hours and miles on scooters than most men with Big Boy bikes. First 1200 mile scooter trip was kinda fun but don't care to do that again. Need to go further and faster.

Went Guzzi to keep the garage Italian. Wanted something more owner repair friendly than a duc.

Thanks for having this site.

the bike's a bit of a man magnet, but I do okay.

myra. female. colorado.

oh yeah, I love this bike. My scooter club world is starting to shun me.

Intro? Well there's a first time for everything and this is my first time at subscribing to a forum so I will apologise now if the posts end up in the wrong thread.

I fell in love with Le Mans when I first saw one in 1977 still at school and said 'I'm getting one of them'. After doing the obligatory apprenticeships on mopeds, Puch 3 Speed, Gilera then Yamaha FS1E, I moved up a level to a Yamaha RD350B but still with the Le Mans on my mind managed to convince my bank manager that I needed a reliable vehicle to get to work. He thought I was talking about a car... 3 weeks later I was the proud owner of my first MK1 Le Mans aged 19. YIPPEE!!!! For reasons I wont go into now my brother ended up with that bike and it still exists today, but I got another one in 1984 and still own it today and love it like its part of the family. Various improvements such as Lafranconis, Bernie's seat, timing gears but its still the same. Servicing has been kept in the family by cousin and brother (Moto Sana and Astico Moto). Though time has taken its toll on the bike, :race: it still keeps going but not wanting to run it into the ground finally got something more modern .... a new V11 Le Mans in Red and Grey, I couldnt resist it. There are others in the middle but they dont have the same charisma.

I had to join the forum, I keep looking at the classifieds, hopefully I find some good bits to put on the V11 and meet some like minded people on the way! ...... Anybody got a tank bag for a V11 they dont need any more?

Simon

:mg:

Guest guzzidude1100i

This is my first forum so please beer :bier: with me. I got the nickname Guzzidude because a guy I work with asked "how many Moto Guzzis do you have, I'll just start calling you Guzzidude" and it stuck with me.

I've been riding for 28 years, first on a dirt bike and about 20 years of Japanese street bikes. Then I went through several phases of restoring first a 1960 BSA then a 1966 Harley 250 Sprint "Italian" oh yea! Next I got a deal on a 1968 H-D Sportster XLH and went crazy restoring it. Sold a Kawasaki ZX750 I had for 14 years and replaced it with my 1996 California 1100i in 2001 and have been hooked ever since. When asked how many bikes I had, I would answer 3, 2 Harleys and 2 Italian bikes! Drove them crazy! Anyway I sold the Harleys and got a 2002 Kawasaki KLR 250 for my pit bike as I work as a corner marshall at local roadraces. May of 2006 I bought a 2002 LeMans and I'm loving it.

I'm a machinist by trade and worked in just about every level from job shop, production to tool & die and plastic injection mold maker. I enjoy designing and machining one off parts for my bikes, doing my own maintance and nearly all my repairs. :luigi: Currently I'm working as a Quality Control Inspector at Suzuki Manufacturing of America where we assemble ATVs for the world market.

I stay pretty busy with the night shift Q.C. job, part time machinist/fabricator/restorer and in my spare time working at the races. But most important my wife and I have two kids and two grand kids. I like to do a little fishing and canoeing along with camping.

I restored an old helmet a couple years ago and it looks just like this :helmet: I couldn't believe it when I saw it. I love this forum and I'm thankful for all the great info. If I can ever help a fellow Guzzist with any fabrication or machining, I'd be more than happy to help.

Thomas :race:

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

My name's Andy, and I had the good fortune to see some nice V11 variants at an Italian bike festival in Shepherdstown, WV this weekend. An '02 V11 Sport participated in the best-sounding bike comp (it finished second to a Duc 996, but I think the Goose should have won!), and there were 3 other V11's in the parking area. One LeMans, one LM Tenni, and another one that had a black fairing and copper-colored valve covers.

I'd never really thought about Guzzis before, but I loved the way these bikes looked, especially in the factory colors! Unfortunately I'm not in the market for another bike (I ride an '02 M750S i.e.), but my interest has been piqued, and I was surprised at how affordable used V11's are. I just figured I'd do a search to find some more info on them, and lo and behold, here was this site.

It was also funny to note that some problems apparently aren't dependent upon the manufacturer - I've got some pretty ugly corrosion/paint flaking on my factory peg hangers and engine cases, which I also saw on a V11 at the festival. I'm in the Annapolis, MD area, and would be interested in going for a ride if there's anyone close by. Here are some pics of my scoot, and the registration-inspiring V11's!

duc_email.jpg

v11duo_email.jpg

• 4 months later...

Ok, my turn now.... Although having an account here for a month-or-two, so far I kept pretty silent. Mostly reading posts looking for potential troubles my newly acquired Guzzi might have in store for me.

Born and raised in Zagreb, Croatia, 36 Yold ('ll be 37 in a few days), now living in Duesseldorf, Germany for almost 8 years. Married, two children. Still working on the remaining 0.4.

Started riding only a few years ago, buying as a first bike a 22 year old Honda CX 500 (Maggot in UK, as I've been told, Güllepumpe or (cesspit pump) in D). Love that bike, still have it, and will most likely opt for it rather than wife if she threatens to leave me for poligamy (sharing me with two bikes). The bike is zero maitenance, which if course did not stop me to open it up just so I could see what's inside. Currently, it is undergoing an open heart surgery for no good reason. Let's see if it will survive the op. Here is a short video of one of my rides:

Also had a Moto Guzzi Mille GT, which I hastily acquired from a colleague at work when I learned I had to spend a summer working in Sweden. Been there on two "summerly" occasions already, boring myself to death on weekends. To counter that I rode up on the Mille (1300 km), with the luggage for 8 weeks (including a business suit) doing in average 170km/h on the autobahn out of fear that Guzzi would be hurt if I rode it flat out (Mille can run 200km/h according to specs). The Mille spat out its entire oil supply along the way, which I noticed only as I dismounted in Stockholm and checked. Buzzed around for a few weeks, with an ad running in local papers wanting to sell the bike there, so not having to explain to my wife that I bought another motorcycle without her approval, only to learn that Guzzis are "unsellable" in Sweden. A local dealer whom I offered my bike a day before my trip back told me that some time ago they had a single Guzzi in the store, which stood in the corner for some three years. They popped a champain open when they finally got rid of it, vowing never to "own" another. If it only had been a Harley...

Also I applied for a "Most distinct bike competition" on a local event, presenting my road-dirty-ridden Guzzi amongst a bunch of chrome/gold/platinum plated Harleys. I was pretty comfident in winning, since this was the only Guzzi in probably 100km radius (I bet if you later asked the audience who was there, they'd say: "a bunch of Harleys and a guy on a Guzzi"), but somehow Swedes did not get the joke. :helmet:

So I rode it back to Germany to face the wife's wrath. Broke shaft seal along the way and I rode last 700km with a transmission oil smeared all over the rear wheel covered, stopping every 150-200 km to top up the oil level. :luigi: As that did not kill me, so did not the wife.

I loved the bike, but somehow never got really familiar with it, so after long contemplating whether to keep Honda or Guzzi, I decided it to sell the Guzzi.

But now I have another one. After all the careful consideration of pro's and con's between a 2nd hand, 4 year old Guzzi V11 LeMans and a brand new Honda VTR 1000F, I said to hell with it and got myself a Guzzi (price was comparable). :homer: Have it for a short time, did not even put my 1000km on it.

Anxious to see if I'll be a "proud Guzzi owner", or just a "Guzzi owner". :mg:

Over and out (for the time being).

Hello to all!

I fell in love with Moto Guzzi when I saw my first V-11 LeMans. I fell in love with the lines and the sound! Well, to make a long story short, I lost my beloved wife on December 26th, 2006 and decided that I would no longer put off owning what was to me an exotic bike.

I first purchased an '03 Yamaha FJR1300 with all the bells and whistles and then stumbled into a great deal on a 2004 V-11 Sport Ballabio. It was such a good deal I could not pass it up!

Dry clutch?

Tire pressure?

Valve adjustments?

I am used to turning my own wrenches and managed to maintain my '92 Kawasaki Concours until I sold it back in October of '06. I probably have lots of questions so I ask you to be patient with me!

Ciao! :)post-4281-1172108315_thumb.jpg

I've looked over the forum a few times but only recently registered. <_>

I've found the forum really informative, and in spite of the search function will probably ask a few questions. :huh:

I've only been riding 20 odd years and I'm from down under.

Cheers

• 3 months later...
Guest terrydean

howdy yall!!

new to the forum, not to bikes :) have owned a handful of differnt scooters......now looking at a 2001 Le Mans......price is right, 13Kmiles, well maintained, clean.....but i dont know much about this model so im here to do some research before i drop some cash.....thats it!! let the feedback/input flow....im listening!!! :)

enjoy!

td!

howdy yall!!

new to the forum, not to bikes :) have owned a handful of differnt scooters......now looking at a 2001 Le Mans......price is right, 13Kmiles, well maintained, clean.....but i dont know much about this model so im here to do some research before i drop some cash.....thats it!! let the feedback/input flow....im listening!!! :)

enjoy!

td!

Mod Alert! We've got a Mod on the forum....................... :D

Hello, Terry. Welcome.

Are you new to Guzzis, period?

If so, be sure that a Guzzi is what you want. They're owner-involving, almost organic motorcycles. Get a test ride on this or some other Guzzi before you buy, is my advice. If, after a long-ish ride, you're still enthused, ask yourself how far you're prepared to put up with a bike that needs your attention to work properly and will actually sulk if it doesn't get it! If the answer is "I'm ready for it", then begin searching the archives on this forum for things likely to need doing to it once you've got it, and if you still think that you would like to own it, buy it and be prepared to enjoy motorcycling like you haven't done before.

Is my advice.

You'll likely get all sorts of feedback from people on here who know their V11s inside-out. It's the best there is on the net. You've come to the right place.

Guest terrydean

Mod Alert! We've got a Mod on the forum....................... :D

ha!!!......nope....never owned a vespa/scooter......however my first "motorcycle" was a Puegot moped!! :P

.....i refer to (most) motorcycles as "scooters"......not to be confused with mods :D

Hello, Terry. Welcome.

thanks!!! feels good!!

Are you new to Guzzis, period?

yes! .....between the V11 and the Tuono.....lookin for more of a sport tourer than a sport bike.....last scooter was a Aprilia Caponord......fun bike.

you're still enthused, ask yourself how far you're prepared to put up with a bike that needs your attention to work properly and will actually sulk if it doesn't get it! If the answer is "I'm ready for it",

im done with working on a bike for the ride.......just done with.....same with my cars......im all about maximun fun these days......plug and play......however i dont want a japanese bike....i want soul without having to sell mine to get it.....am i asking too much? :)

thanks for the input/replies!

td!

im done with working on a bike for the ride.......just done with.....same with my cars......im all about maximun fun these days......plug and play......however i dont want a japanese bike....i want soul without having to sell mine to get it.....am i asking too much? :)

thanks for the input/replies!

td!

Hello again, Terry.

My honest advice, therefore, is don't buy a V11, I'm afraid. I know nothing about Tuonos, however. I know nothing about the new 1200 Sport, either, although knowledgeable friends say that it lacks the character of a V11. :(

Guest terrydean

Hello again, Terry.

My honest advice, therefore, is don't buy a V11, I'm afraid. I know nothing about Tuonos, however. I know nothing about the new 1200 Sport, either, although knowledgeable friends say that it lacks the character of a V11. :(

so ive read of (some) common issues with the lemans here on the forum.....doesnt seem like too much drama, little glitches that need to be addressed by owners, then they are gone.....no? other than that are you saying the v11 is a mechanical bomb waiting to detonate? or more like a lifelong series of bleeding knuckle skirmishes? "character" as one might call it.......like a harley always working on them? or only working on them as one chooses to deviate from OEM with gofastbits?

enjoy!

td!

so ive read of (some) common issues with the lemans here on the forum.....doesnt seem like too much drama, little glitches that need to be addressed by owners, then they are gone.....no? other than that are you saying the v11 is a mechanical bomb waiting to detonate? or more like a lifelong series of bleeding knuckle skirmishes? "character" as one might call it.......like a harley always working on them? or only working on them as one chooses to deviate from OEM with gofastbits?

Terry, I've had my 2002 V11 since 2005 but I don't ride it much because most of my riding now is shorter trips and done on my older bikes or my Armstrong trail bike. The V11 has done about 12,000 km altogether, of which I've only covered about 4000km. Before it my "modern" bike was a 1994 Triumph 900 triple: I did quite a few long trips on it, owned it for 10 years and apart from two sets of fork oil seals had no problems at all - just serviced it every year and put tyres on now and then.

Considering the use I've had from my V11, I seem to have suffered quite a few problems with it: non-starting because of poorly-assembled wiring and then recently a stuck solenoid on the starter motor, faulty relays, thread on the oil pan stripped at the factory so the plug came out with the thread the first time I changed the oil, and poor running because the throttle bodies and valves had been hopelessly badly set up....is the current list. Add to that potential problems from a grease nipple on the shaft I can't get to without dismantling the rear of the bike, which is probably dry from factory assembly, and the famous gear selector spring on its over-sized boss [the spring typically breaks on 2002 bikes at about the mileage I'm at now!]. Reading the threads on here will convince you that my experience hasn't been untypical, either. The only change I've made to the bike is to fit Mistral cans, and these haven't had anything to do with the problems.

On the other hand, a lot of these problems can be solved with help and information from this forum as long as you're reasonably competent with routine mechanical jobs and have an appropriate toolkit and somewhere to work - I haven't had to go to a dealer to fix anything so far. And I do like the bike: it has a visceral, organic nature which my Triumph never had. Most of the time I would rather be on it than anything else modern I've ridden. Basically, V11s aren't really modern bikes at all: they were just made quite recently. You pays your money, etc!

Good luck with your choice. :bike:

Hello.

It is about time I registered on this forum. I have used this forum for helpful information and the priceless shared knowledge from other Guzzi owners for far too long. I have now owned my 2000 V11 for four years. It is the classic and very eye catching green model. I am 49 years old and have been riding motorcycles since 1976. I look forward to posting a proper intro soon.

• 4 months later...

Ok then. My Guzzi's a V11 sport. One of the first 200 ever built. It was lust at first sight. It is also the MOST unreliable BADLY built bike i've ever owned. I've had old multi owner jap bikes that are better. This bike costs me thousands every year just to keep on the road. And before you say anything it's serviced on a regular basis, owned from new and kept in a garage with dehumidifyer. The wheels are original. Most other things have been replaced. It's toured Europe where i wore away the side stand in the alps. I would'nt part with it for anything other than silly money. As in if I can buy a house I'd consider it. It has outlasted three relationships and takes all my spare money. But it's still POO.