Rear drive

big J

This might help anyone whose rear bevel drive is leaking.Mine was throwing oil out onto the tyre while riding. I ordered what looked to me like the most likely culprits, the large 'o' ring round the outside of the outer housing and the lip seal that backs onto the double ball bearing in which the crownwheel rotates before stripping it down. Turns out the seals had gone in the bearing inside the crownwheel. It is SKF 6304-2R51/C3. 47mmo/d 20mmi/d 15mm thick. Mine only cost a tenner from a bearing factor, it might be as well to have one to hand as well as the seals if your drive housing springs a leak. Check it is the sealed type with end seals both sides, the bearing factor I used had both open and sealed with the same part no.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, Alex I dont know how to get a picture on. Tried following the "attachment" instructions but it wont work. I'll assume that it's the same as a V11. Remove the rear wheel, leave the spindle inside the drive to support it as you do so. Unbolt and remove the rear drive after draining it of oil. Take out the 8 bolts retaining the cover plate and GENTLY pry it off. It will resist movement due to the 'o' ring on the locating flange.Lift it out and use a plastic mallet to tap the crownwheel out of the bearing. If you look inside the crownwheel, you will see the sealed bearing that was leaking on mine, tap it out with a drift. Replacement is reverse, pop the bearing in the freezer for half an hour beforehand, makes it go in easier. Make sure you dont hit the seal part of the bearing when you tap it back in, only hit the outer race on opposite sides, one side then the other.Check and replace any seals if required. Should go in fairly easy, dont force it.Tap the bearing and cover onto the crownwheel, put it back into the housing, bolt it up and you're done. Reassemble drive and wheel onto bike.

Thanks for all the instruction, I will further study it and or pass it over to the mechanicer :luigi:

Meanwhile if you have any pics you can host them here:Free pic Hosting

Be carefull to copy all the link that the page will give you, just follow te instructions,(pull mouse to futher ends to select the whole link), the whole process is pretty simple.

Thanks for all the instruction, I will further study it and or pass it over to the mechanicer :luigi:

Meanwhile if you have any pics you can host them here:Free pic Hosting

Be carefull to copy all the link that the page will give you, just follow te instructions,(pull mouse to futher ends to select the whole link),i the whole process is pretty simple.

47830[/snapback]

Yeah, unfortunately so am I. :huh2:

• 5 years later...

After my second refill with RedLine Shockproof heavy, I'm sure I overfilled the bevel drive as it would weep at the vent from time to time. I'll bet some 50ml hangs inside the drive even draining when hot. Finally, the red mud started appearing on the wheel after parking up.

I changed the rear large seal, but the drip persists. Less now and not as bright red. One question is, if the inner seal is leaking does it still show up in the same place as if the large seal has failed? Or did I just install my replacement poorly?

IMG_0056.JPG

After my second refill with RedLine Shockproof heavy, I'm sure I overfilled the bevel drive as it would weep at the vent from time to time. I'll bet some 50ml hangs inside the drive even draining when hot. Finally, the red mud started appearing on the wheel after parking up.

I changed the rear large seal, but the drip persists. Less now and not as bright red. One question is, if the inner seal is leaking does it still show up in the same place as if the large seal has failed? Or did I just install my replacement poorly?

I had the exact same problem with mine using Redline. I changed both of the seals and it only stopped the leaking temporarily. I'm guessing your leaks first started only after being on the highway going over 70mph? Then it progressively gets worse from there. Long story short, just use regular gear oil or what the manual calls for. When I drained the redline from my box and put plain gear oil in there the leaking stopped. I'm thinking the redline is just a little too slippery for the rear drive seals.

Is this a "taken today" photo?

Today's picture (after 260 miles from 'adjusting' the fluid level / downward). Looking closely, I'd swear both seals are leaking.

What?

IMG_0238.JPG

I had the exact same problem with mine using Redline. I changed both of the seals and it only stopped the leaking temporarily. I'm guessing your leaks first started only after being on the highway going over 70mph? Then it progressively gets worse from there. Long story short, just use regular gear oil or what the manual calls for. When I drained the redline from my box and put plain gear oil in there the leaking stopped. I'm thinking the redline is just a little too slippery for the rear drive seals.

So, I drained the Redline. Twice now. I keep thinking the drizzle gets better. Did yours take a few miles a change or two to "seal?"

So, I drained the Redline. Twice now. I keep thinking the drizzle gets better. Did yours take a few miles a change or two to "seal?"

The phot shows a pinkish tone inside the spline area, indicating a possible inner seal leak. I've had RLSH in my rear drive for 26,000 miles without a leak. Or so, I think. It's somewhere in Wyoming right now, being ridden by Aussie Bruce Reader. It may be leaking now, but he hasn't said anything about that.

Greg, I think you're right about the inner seal. It can be changed without removing the outer seal? (I don't really want to do that one again also)

The leak certainly seems less with the normal G-5, but it definitely hasn't stopped.

If I remember correctly the redline sticks like maple syrup to the inside of your rear drive. When you change to another gear oil you get "pink line" :rolleyes: . I remember mine still leaking with the pinkline but much less. So I drained out the pink line and refilled with fresh gear oil and it hasnt leaked a drop since. Keep in mind that I did replace both seals. If you have a bad inner seal you're going to have to replace it no matter what.