Fabricated Rear-shock Mud Guard

BrianG

Some time ago, I recall seeing that someone had posted a template for construction of a mud-guard for the V-11 Sport/Lemans. The search engine will not reveal it. Can anyone help me locate this thread? :huh2:

For simplicitys sake here was my solution {no photo, sorry}

After purchasing the carbon fiber rear hugger I took a disk grinder and carved down the original to a simular shape as your fabricated one to serve as the shock protector. Drilled a couple of holes and zip tied it on. Took about 30 mins. looks pretty good but its basically hidden anyway

For simplicitys sake here was my solution {no photo, sorry}

After purchasing the carbon fiber rear hugger I took a disk grinder and carved down the original to a simular shape as your fabricated one to serve as the shock protector. Drilled a couple of holes and zip tied it on. Took about 30 mins. looks pretty good but its basically hidden anyway

48058[/snapback]

Frisky, a photo please, if you can! I was thinking of this solution just 2 days ago. For what model bike was your donor CF hugger made to fit originally? R1?, GSXR? What brand was it, from US supplier, like Lockhart Phillips or ? Does it go all the way to the swing arm pivot? TIA.

Even simpler: I used a heavy duty feed bucket (for horses) made out of ribbed black PVC. The curvature (axis vertical) gives added strength, and, being PVc, it can be cut easily.

Basically the same sort of trapezium shape, but wider and higher at the top, notched to go up around the point where the shock attaches to the swing arm assembly. Taking a lead from the hugger on my Triumph S3, I also carried it down between the main swing arm beams, this time with a cut out for the shaft. this gives a bit of protection further forwards.

The whole thing is tie wrapped in place, and almost invisible once fitted.

I might mod it further by trying to get a degree of wrpa around the sides, just to close off as many gaps as possible.

If I can get as picture that shos the ting, I will post it later, but someone will need to tell me how. Alternatively, I could e-mail the picture to "a man that can". Any offers?

Somewhat late, but here, hopefully, is a picture of the "mark1" feed bucket hugger!! The "mark2" extends upwards the same with as the top of the one shown, for another 2" with a cut out for the shock mounting. I also extended the bottom "flap" just to stop anything being thrwon forwards.

Note: you are lookig at this from the FRONT of the bike ie shaft is left of shot.

***** won't take the picture!! I must be a bit tik. Will e-mail it to the man who can!!

• 4 weeks later...
why can't someone somewhere just start fabricating something like this for the V11 that works and I'd buy one. I'm soooo lazy.  :grin:

48010[/snapback]

Ok, More on the mud gaurd...

I followed this thread and started with the diagram that was posted for general dimensions. Didn't much care for the attaching method so. I did mine out of thermal plastic (Kydex) and formed the left and right sides to wrap around the vertical members to help seat the guard and further limit the amout of spray that will sling forward and make a more finished look. I extended the bottom abit just because I could too. I used zip-ties to hold this puppy on for simplicity and it works like a champ. The one that is mounted on my bike is the "proto-type" so it is not as nice as the final ones I made. I did a run of 6 of these and the are mixed between .06mm and .08mm Kydex as I experimented with forming, templating, cutting etc.. I have 5 of these left over. They are all hand formed, and checked for fitment on my V-11 LeMans. If you want one, I'll send it out US priority for $20.00. If there is enough interest, I'll get some more plastic and do another run now that I have the templates and forming technique down. I am not sure if this will fit the same on a sport as a LeMans so accept it back if not happy. I'm not trying to make a killing on these, just want to recover my time and expense in getting this right. If you are intersted, drop me an email at edginton@hotmail.com and I'll get a head count for the next run. The first 5 can have what I have already made. I should be able to get the others made in about a week due to ordering the Kydex, cutting, forming, etc.. If there is much interest, I'll move these things to the classifieds. I just wanted to share whats been happening in my basement :drink:

a couple of picts

V11_Mud_Guard___Final_Version.jpg

V11_Mud_Guard_Installed_with_OEM_fender.jpg

V11_Mud_Guard_Proto_type_Installed_1.jpg