Fabricated Rear-shock Mud Guard

BrianG

Sound like a statement you see on Amazing Discoveries/Tell Sell:

"I have used the Flexonamic for 10 minutes and lost 40 pounds!"

Seriously: Edge, great job! I'd definetly want one, if I didn't already made one myself.

53579[/snapback]

...same here, great work :thumbsup:

al

Thanks guys... :wub:

I'll keep all posted as this evolves. I have gotten some positive offline feedback too and will start work on a "B" piece that should be a nice addition to what you may already have or with what I did. Nothing fancy but simple and functional. My only problem now is, do I toil away in the garage or go for ride :race:

But seriously, this piece will be available as long as there is a want from the members :thumbsup:

As far as the fantastic claims others make... :huh2: , I think it comes from getting something that works, is easy to install, and is reasonable but I am a little biased :cheese:

...and no you wont loose those 40 pounds with 10 minutes of work but to the contrary..., you are likely to put on just a few ounces if you install the liner with a beer as recommended :bier:

ride safe,

Hey Edge, I installed mine on Saturday, great job and well worth the $25.00, fit perfectly and looks OEM. I sent your check in today's mail. What a great source this group is! :sun: I highly recommend it to anyone considering on purchasing it.

Guest burke
Sorry Guys..

A couple of reasons for no contact... 

I found out I had a bad email address tied to my account on this board which I have just fixed.  So if you tried contacting me through the boards email... I never got it.  :(  (I had a board regestration a couple years ago that changed my address during the great purge a while back)

And your right about me running out.  I have already sent 5 out (3 US and 2 INT)and I just ordered more Kydex to do another run.  I should have the stock by tomorrow and will have some done by Friday.

Unfortunatly I have not gotten any feed back from those I have sent to...  :huh2:  I just want to make sure all are happy before I get too far into this.  I think I the templates and jig are right but you never know with the other models and the Luigi factor :rasta:

I have tweeked the jig a little to make things "more better"  but feed back is appreciated and will help me ensure we got this thing right.  And like anything else, I can get this couple bucks cheeper if I can buy the Kydex in bulk from a local supplyer if the demand is there.

If you want to email direct for feedback or request, please use,

edginton@hotmail.com (this was supposed to be my old forum account)

or

edginton@gisco.net (this is my new forum account)

52634[/snapback]

Sorry, been busy. I got it and installed it on my 2003 V11 naked (2002 euro). It fit perfect. The only mod I had to do was a little triming around the drive shaft slot (opened it up a bit just incase I hit a big pot hole). You have it cut with a triangular piece sticking out, I cut this off and rounded it a bit to match the frame cuttout for the drive shaft. Otherwise, the curled ends that match up to the frame fit perfect. I was even able to install it without taking off the mudguard (although, it was a bit of a knuckle scraper). Haven't ridden it yet with it on, will report back after the test ride.

Nice prompt shipment too. Thanks edge! :)

You have it cut with a triangular piece sticking out, I cut this off and rounded it a bit to match the frame cut out for the drive shaft.

53692[/snapback]

Thanks for the feedback, I had already addressed the drive shaft passage clearance on the second and subsequent runs. The drive shaft area cut-out now allows for maximum possible mechanical shaft deflection as limited by the shaft passage tunnel in the swing arm. A little overkill but seemed like the right thing to do. I attached a couple photos because a picture is usually worth a thousand words :pic:

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

From- Mucho Grunty inc Dear Mr Edge,received one of your guards today. A few recommendations-

1/Mucho Grunty motorcycles are of course perfect and dont need add-ons

2/Item despatched and arrived within a few days.Most disappointing, arent you aware how much the wait sharpens the sense of relief when the item finally arrives?Many of our customers wait absolute ages for parts and you should see the look on their little faces after a couple of months,fair bings a tear to the eye.

3/Instructions- never send english written instructions to an english speaking country. How are they going to learn a new language?

4/Packaging-all present and correct. Oh dear. May we suggest that out of every 10,most should be ok,2 or 3 broken before despatch,1 should be for a different bike entirely and send a couple empty except for foamy bits.

5/Fits first time-what's that all about?How are the customers to do our development work if you've done it for them?

6/Guarantee or refund-are you nuts?If we'd given guarantees out with every bike,we'd have gone bust years ago!Leave the customer to their own devices,they'll figure out how to fix it. They're not as daft as they look. Well, not all of them.

Although,you've tried hard,you obviously have a lot to learn about Mucho Grunty motorcycle spares. Please feel free to contact us, tho the phones are only usually answered when we're out.

Regards, Luigi.

:lol::lol::lol: I had similar thoughts when I installed mine. Maybe Richard needs to push the envelope a little bit and make it electronic. After all, I'm sure there is at least one extra watt in the charging system. :not::D

I would still like to see the design extended upwards around the shock mount.

I am also interested in having one. Especially one that extends upwards to protect the shock mount (if one can be made).

Also the one depicted in the first page of this thread in the Sport 1100i ( I have a 1100i) is the absolute optimum for me.Definnatelly would buy.

So "edge" pls contact me with any available guard you do and set up the rest details. :thumbsup:

:helmet:

Looks good, far better tyhan my modified feed bucket. BUT, I would still like to see the design extended upwards around the shock mount.

54257[/snapback]

I just re-worked one of the templates to give me an extra inch "tab" to cover the shock attaching point better. I am limited in a way due to the forming process and the width of stock I am using. If I go much more than an inch vertically, I will start loosing bottom edge or become very wastful of material. As soon as I can get one with the tab formed I will post a picture. It is not that much different from what I am already doing. I also started another template using Al R's design of a coulpe of years ago. I have yet to get it to plastic but between the two pieces, it should be about as good as coverage as you can get w/o using a flxible material due to fixed and moving components. I like what Al did, and will let you (and Al) know how it comes out with a little forming. I am also playing with a third component that covers the whole battery tray. That one is a little more complex then the others due to size and forming... again not sure how that will come out but I should be playing with the protypes by this weekend to see what is doable. We have had 3 days of rain here, so puttering in the garage is ok :)

"A" Piece: A little progress tonight, still strugling with the upper "tab" on the on the guard due to the plastic forming, and so far, nothing that truly protects the shock mounting lug. I havent given up yet, just having problems getting the piece to consistantly set properly (jig problem). I think the easy fix for the shock lug coverage would be a rod-end boot. If a boot is used, it needs to be properly fitted to ensure it does not hold moisture around the lug and steel bolt. Just an idea...

"B" Piece: I played with Al's design and ended up doing something a little different. Again trying to get things to lay correctly. I basically ended up cutting Al's in half and put a rolled edge it to wrap around a frame cross member. I used the existing battery tray hardware and reversed the insert direction and swapped nut plates. Cleans it all up and holds the piece in place. Basically working with a 8"Wx6"H piece. Might be able to get a little bigger but the 8x6 works consistantly and is not wasteful. A problem with too much wider is there are wire bundles that run down the sides of the frame in that area and are not very consistent in placement or width. Apparently Luigi has reserved the right place things as needed :drink:

Of course the "B" piece does away with the OEM hugger. I did put the hugger on with it installed, they both fit but with the hugger installed it offers no additional coverage. and looks pretty stupid :bbblll:

I'll tweak the B piece this weekend make a new template(s) and jig so I can consistantly make more. I'll also start looking for rod-end boots that might cover the shock lug to see what that might look like.

Edge_Gard_B_Prototype.jpg