Fabricated Rear-shock Mud Guard

BrianG

See, this is the difference between quality and a good bodging.

If you look at my earlier post (#36), you can see a red flap above the edge guard. That's a piece of gasket material that does the job of Edge's part "B", only bodged. :grin:

See, this is the difference between quality and a good bodging.

If you look at my earlier post (#36), you can see a red flap above the edge guard.  That's a piece of gasket material that does the job of Edge's part "B", only bodged. :grin:

54369[/snapback]

Not to hijack this thread..but JRT, are those the titanium or aluminum Mistrals on your bike? I've been looking for something that looks like that but don't really want to pay the MG Ti prices.

Good work Edge! If this part B is anything like your first bit then It'll work perfectly. :notworthy:

Randy

Mr. Bean, those are aluminum Mistral pipes. They should be available at the usual sources.

I can't afford Ti either :huh2:

They're really nice- sound great. I think I might have gotten the ovals if I could have found them, but I'm very happy with the rounds.

Thanks jrt. I had to look at your photo again. I didn't even realize they were the rounds. They look bigger than the carbon fibre rounds I've seen. I too want the ovals (for appearance only...my riding style won't take advantage of any extra clearance they offer :race: ) and the only place I've seen them is in the Agostini catalog. No idea yet on the price though...

Randy

Thanks jrt.  I had to look at your photo again.  I didn't even realize they were the rounds.  They look bigger than the carbon fibre rounds I've seen.  I too want the ovals (for appearance only...my riding style won't take advantage of any extra clearance they offer  :race: )  and the only place I've seen them is in the Agostini catalog.  No idea yet on the price though...

Randy

54400[/snapback]

Monsieur Bean,

when I updated my Scura with Mistral oval cf cans and x-over I contacted the Agostini family in Italy. I can highly recommend them as they are very professional in customer handling. My stuff was shipped the day after ordering and the parcel landed on my front door on the day they'd promised me. Furthermore I got a tracknumber so I could follow the goodies on the Internet. Everything was in perfect order so go the Agostini way.

Søren

Ok, played in the garage today instead of riding due to weather, father’s day and other reasons...

This is what I have settled on for the final "B" piece fender liner for myself and those interested to go OEM hugger-less and keep fender coverage and finish off the underside protecting battery tray and electronics.

Like the Edge-Guard "A" piece, it is hand fitted on my 02 Lemans and they should fit the V-11 series bikes. As always, the Luigi caveat always applies :drink:

If interested shoot me an email through the board, and I'll figure out how cheap I can get these done for you, depending on where you live and how I mail them. It is a smaller and a simpler piece than the first one I did so they are cheaper and easier for me for me to make. I can also bundle it with the other piece.

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Hi Edge,

Fitted my "Edge-Gard" this w/e. Installation was easy and fit is excellent.

Thanks again for taking the time to offer this to us.

Folks - I highly recommend the Edge-Gard.

Gio

• 4 months later...
Hi Edge,

Fitted my "Edge-Gard" this w/e. Installation was easy and fit is excellent.

Thanks again for taking the time to offer this to us.

Folks - I highly recommend the Edge-Gard.

Gio

54911[/snapback]

Thanks Gio,

Just an update on these "gards". I haven't made any lately due to demand but have just gotten a couple requests and I will do another run of the pieces. It will take about a week to order and receive the plastic and another week to git-r done. I will order enough Kydex to make all 4 pieces: the original "A" piece Edge-Gard that covers the transmission area, the battery cover (2 versions; one for OEM Hugger and one for without OEM Hugger), and a new aft shock lug cover (so far I have the only one :D ). If there is interest from anyone for any of the pieces you can PM. I'll judge by interest how many I make so I don't have to peddle them on eBay to get them homes :(

I have attached updated pictures of the pieces so you can get an idea of what they are. I did not have a picture of the "lug" cover installed with the other two pieces and OEM hugger but it all fits (The lug cover snaps in place and does not require any hardware to secure it).

I will be pulling my bike in for storage this weekend due to the snow has arrived in Northern New York :bbblll: and I will try to get a few more pictures when I start making more pieces as they are hand formed-fitted on the bike.

A_B_Pieces_Together.jpg

Edge_A_Piece_with_Hugger__Large_.jpg

Edge_Battery_Cover_No_Hugger__Large_.jpg

Edge_Battery_Cover_Hugger__Large_.jpg

Edge_Lug_Cover.jpg

I got one of the "First Run" edge guards b4 he decided to make a living of it, And I tell ya what man, IT ROCKS. Top Quality I mean my shock as never looked soo clean for soo long fit perfect and only took 3min to install. I love the thing, worth the money at twice the price. :whistle:

I got one of the "First Run" edge guards b4 he decided to make a living of it,

67976[/snapback]

You’re too kind my friend, -_-

As far as making a living... I don't think so... after the time and money invested in this project... let's just say we are doing it for the group and to keep the Mrs. from stopping my folly while I toil in the garage enjoying a good beverage and staying off the streets at night! :bier:

Now, if I were making these things for Harleys, that would be a whole different story. I suppose one could make a handsome living out of them but I would have to change a few things; 1. They would need to be made out of chrome plated scrap steel, 2. They would retail for a hundred bucks each before installation (HD=Hundred Dollar part)!, and 3. They would be manufactured in China because I couldn't keep up with orders for 100s of thousands of the damn things when they became the next thing at the lemming lot :D:D, and oh yeah, number 4. I would have to loose my self respect in process knowing that in 6 months the things would metal fatigue crack at all bolt holes, chrome would lift due to poor plating and rust pit on the visible sides :doh: The problem with my the HD business plan is... Some how they managed to get a some what proper fender on most of their rides negating the need for plastic bits :huh2:

Not bashing HD, too badly anyway, just jesting at the low volume MG niche by comparison and the difference of purpose. :mg:

Ride safe, :bike:

Guest ratchethack

post-1212-1133575827_thumb.jpgI've been hesitating to post this out of deference to Edge's most highly crafted and refined offering, which seems to be enjoying a healthy Forum market acceptance. :notworthy: But I find that I just can't hold back any longer. This just works so well... :wub:

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that since this alternative (see below) is really just an extension of the stock hugger, it ain't likely to bite into Edge's market at all. This might be a "step up" from the feed bucket solution, but as Jason pointed out earlier in this thread, there's a difference between a quality product and a good bodging...You'd have to take considerations as "fit and finish" - well...let's just say you'd have to take such niceties out of the picture altogether to go this way. On the other hand, like the feed bucket, no one sees this thing but me, and that's only when I have the wheel out for a tire change.

Compared to the Edge Guard, this thing is more of a "Bodge Guard". -_- It was cut out of an 18-wheeler mud flap from NAPA Auto Parts and zip-tied in place. But she works like a Champ. It's tougher than nails, and it keeps everything nice and clean - shock, trans, and crossover, too. :bier: