Side panniers for V11

Guest Darth Maul

Guest Darth Maul

After looking around for a suitable panniers for the V11, I have decided the BMW 1200C side panniers is the way to go...!!!

Aesthetic is my first priority. The side panniers is made of hard plastic n wrap in leathers.

Its available in Black, Brown and Dark Blue.(???)

I have choosen the Black Leathers to go with my Matt Scura.

This is the initial stage. I will post more information as i made the modification to the V11. I have fit the same panniers to my previous Ducati Monster 900. So I know it can be done. I have to sacrifice the pillion footpeg for the Monster 900. This time round... I will try to accomodate the pillion footrest in.

Modification needed:

•Welding will be require to the subframe to hold the Panniers' bracket.

•removal of the rear signal light. (to replace with a aftermarket light)

•to make a new footrest frame for the rear pillion. So that the panniers would not stick out too much from the rear. And the pillion would have a more forward leg position. about 10cm forward.

below are picture of the bracket position... and how the bike will looks like with d panniers. As you can see i can't take sharp pictures. :bike:

post-8-1043639573_thumb.jpg

I hope your passenger has a short foot!

Seriously- that will look real nice. Are the BMW panniers symmetric or asymmetric? I recall riding on an R1100 and the bags were very different sizes.

Cheers,

Jason

Guest Darth Maul

these are the image of the panniers from behind.

Its quite symetrical except for the right box where the bottom part is cut in a little to fit the BMW cruiser exhaust. ( i think...???)

post-8-1043686839_thumb.jpg

Guest Darth Maul

these r the view from the top. the panniers wont fit a full face helmet nor a half cup helmet. but its enough for a raincoat, grocceries, laptop n etc.

the pillion footpeg is quite a tricky one. it might touch my heel. Will have to be carefull there.

post-8-1043688372_thumb.jpg

I'll be honest and admit my first responce was YOU DID WHAT!? but after looking at the pictures I'd have to say this is the best looking hard bag set-up I've seen on V11 Sport/ Le Mans. The rounded shape of the bags fit the bike really well.

Nice work,

Lex

PS On most BMWs the cut out on the bottom of the right bag is for the final drive.

I too am looking for a hard bag set up for my Lemans.

I remember some time ago seeing pictures of the

rack system from Hepco-Becker,but saw no bags attached.

I believe it was Ian from Wash. state.

Does any one have pictures of the H-B set up?

My only critizism of the H-B rack was that it didn't blend in to

the lines of the bike when the bags were removed.

I've toyed with the idea of BMW system bags and Givi bags,

but haven't had time or money to persue the ideas.

Any one out there fabricating or have the same ideas?

J.R.

IMHO I think that leather bag setup is more suited for HD's or JapHD's. I think the issue is that a lot of you think the LM is a tourbike and a lot think it's an old fashioned sportbike. So different accessories are mounted accordingly. The higher handlebars and lower footpegs fit in the same category. Personally, I never would mount them. I'd buy a Cali!

But hey... whatever makes you happy. This is a tolerant forum.

And different opinions make the forum more attractive! :rolleyes:

Just my $0,02

Jaap

Guest dkgross

I like the look of the 1200 C bags on the LeMans. I think I'm in partial agreement that leather isn't really the right look tho. I'm weird. I actually LIKE the Corbin Beetle Bags. I think that sort of setup would kick butt on the LeMans. I'd be more than willing to sacrifice my passenger footpegs for them.

Guess it's just a matter of $$$. Maybe I can find a boat builder/fiberglass person around here to try an experiment. The Hepco mounting hardware would be a good start...

• 1 year later...
Guest Graham in NZ

Side panniers for V11

Those BMW panniers look the best I've seen so far. What is their volume and cost?

If doing any electric welding on the bike make sure the battery and engine management module are disconnected.

For a while I've been contemplating making some top-loading moulded panniers for the V11. They would be shaped to utilise the volume above the mufflers and inwards as much as possible. Rather than being readily detachable, lift out bag liners would be my preference because they are always clean! Having fixed panniers would allow the turn indicators to be incorporated into them.

Getting the style looking right would seem the biggest challenge.

I wonder how much demand there would be for purpose made panniers if they were good ones?

Graham