Transmission Oil Change

joe camarda

I have a bottle of "Redline" Shockproof oil to add to the trannie. I've read that the bike should drain overnight to ensure that all the oil drains out so that when the 850 cc's are added, you dont end up with more.

If the bike is lifted on the paddock stand, will the "tail-up" position :o allow the oil to drain completely? Or, should it be left on the side stand?

Is it necessary to remove the Stuchhi crossover?

Joe Camarda ('01 V11 Sport, silver) :helmet:

It'll never drain out completely because the filter is inverted in the pan. It's about 180cc less than the manual specifies to get the oil to the middle of the sight window as well. I don't know about the Stucchi crossover, but on the stock one, a very shallow plastic tray can be placed on top of the crossover to route the oil past the exhaust system and into the oil receptacle. I made one by cutting the side of off the side of a plastic bubble pack on somthing I bought. I also made one for the rear box that hangs there and ensures that no oil gets onto the tire.

As an alternative to Carl's plastic trays I have used aluminum foil (some times doubled or quadrupled for strength/ stiffness) as a way to route draining oil around frame tubes and exhaust pipes. The nice thing about the foil is that it can be shaped to fit in almost any space. I find my the foil lasts pretty much forever but if it is damaged a replacement is as close as the kitchen.

Just another option,

Lex

• Thanks 1