More on raising handlebars

jrt

I'm among those who want to raise the handlebars to a more comfortable riding position. I have a V11 Sport (as opposed to a Le Mans), so I'm skeptical about using new clip-ons, and I wanted something with the flexibility to change and not cost $300 every time.

So, bars it is. Off with the clip-ons, off with top triple clamp and on to the machine shop. Drilled holes through the bosses (Thanks Guzzi!) attached a clamp from a V11EV, and off to shop for bars.

There are precious few bars out there with the required center length (5 3/4" min). Most are about 4". I finally tracked down a place in Ohio that sells LSL bars that should fit. I've ordered the silver, aluminum 'superbike, flat' bars (50mm rise, 140 mm pullback) and I'll try those first. If they are too short, I'll move up to the 'superbike' (70 mm rise) bars. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out- maybe I'll have to get with Al and we can put it in the FAQ.

websites:

my triple clamp-

http://plasterbath.chem.uiowa.edu/triplecl...clamp/bars.html

speigler brakes

http://www.spieglerusa.com/

Cheers,

Jason

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jason. Ive just ordered a set of "Tommasseli's" (sp), but may hold off installation as I like what youre doing. Would be curious to know if cables, lines or anything else needs to be changed. I too have a V11 Sport. Are you in Bay Area near Al?

Jason. Ive just ordered a set of "Tommasseli's" (sp), but may hold off installation as I like what youre doing. Would be curious to know if cables, lines or anything else needs to be changed. I too have a V11 Sport. Are you in Bay Area near Al?

Ha ha! Only if 2000 miles qualifies as close.

No, I'm in eastern Iowa nowadays. Did my graduate work at Berkeley, though.

I'll have the bars installed within about two weeks (I'm travelling next week), and will answer your questions on brake/clutch lines. Documented with pictures of course.

Cheers,

Jason

• 1 month later...

Finally got a picture of the bike on my website. When it quits freaking snowing, I'll take a couple of shots outside in better light.

http://plasterbath.chem.uiowa.edu/triplecl...clamp/bars.html

click on the thumbnail, bottom left.

Oh, and the R90s fairing will go back on just by cutting down my original mounts. Couldn't have asked for an easier setup. :thumbsup:

cheers,

Jason

Jason, did you need new hydraulic lines or wires?

Or did you just have to re-route the lines?

My biggest concern is the clutch line.

Looks great! I hope to get my Centauro bars on soon, and will have to post a picture.

No- I reused the stock lines, but it's close. The clutch actually has more freeplay than the brake line. I did bend the banjo fitting on the brakeline and reroute it behind the tripleclamp. It's exactly like the picture on this websites' gallery of the 'cafe' sport.

Cheers,

Jason

Woo hoo! I just graduated to forum-a-holic.

my name is jason, and I'm a motorcycle addict...

As an individual, it makes sense to do whatever you have to do to accomplish something, such as routing the hose where you did, but when the factory takes that approach, it's just plain tacky. I hope that production bikes have a slightly more esthetic hose routing. Not demeaning your effort in any way, I would have done the same thing (and have on other bikes in the past).

No offense taken, Carl. I'm sure there's a more aesthetic routing, but that would require a new brake line (ka-ching$). I don't want to do that quite yet. Besides, it's gonna be hidden underneath the fairing for the most part.

Went for a short ride yesterday- it was on again, off again snowing, but dammit, I wanted to ride :helmet: .

The bike handled ok- the front end seemed much lighter than I remember it. It was still stable, but it sure seemed to turn easy. Of course, the roads were damp and very cold, and I didn't check tire pressure (I'm sure it's low in this cold). And, of course, there's less weight on it.

Cheers,

Jason

hi there,

I am probably missing something here??? a lott of you try to rise there clip ons or even install handlebars... is it my monkeylike apperance or what.. cause i want to lower them a bit more so i can maintain high speeds without asking my girlfriend for a massage after (she's not always there!!)

Or do you all have a big fairing installed??? I am kind of curious what the magni fairing does with the wind? it looks a bit low?!!? anyone now??

Jasper

2000 v11 sport

hi there,

I am probably missing something here??? a lott of you try to rise there clip ons or even install handlebars... is it my monkeylike apperance or what.. cause i want to lower them a bit more so i can maintain high speeds without asking my girlfriend for a massage after (she's not always there!!)

Or do you all have a big fairing installed??? I am kind of curious what the magni fairing does with the wind? it looks a bit low?!!? anyone now??

Jasper

2000 v11 sport

I doubt you are missing anything. Everyone is built differently, and we all have different riding styles. I like a more 'upright' position than the stock sport gives me. I also have a small fairing (R90S style) so I don't have as much lift on by torso. I hate to bring this up, but maybe its a compensation mechanism.

Or...it could be your monkey-like appearance. :lol:

Cheers,

Jason

I like the 'committed' riding posture of the v11 sport. With the Stucchi fly screen wind lift is reasonable at freeway speeds (70-90). Rather than change the clip-ons, I rotated mine all the way back after losing the little locator bolts that offer only three positions. It brings the torso a little more upright, shortens the reach, without any extensive changes. Without the 'locator bolts' you can lower the clip-ons as well.

Handlbars must really change the whole feel of the bike. I'm sure it would enhance the comfort for us "medium-old" guys!

maybe its a compensation mechanism.....

I think the whole bike is a compensation... i am not sure what though.....

Thanks for the tips about removing the securrity pins.. i'll try that (i consider it to be save cause you'r still there right!??!)

But does anyone has experience with the magni fairing i think it's to low to really keep the wind away...

Cheerio

Jasper :P:

My sales brochure for the 2000 V11 sport says the clip-ons are "adjustable in both width and height." I thought the 'security pins' were for shipping. And, anyway, they're quite secure in that bag with my security reflectors, security off-road plaques and security vapor cannisters.

As long as the clip-on pinch bolts are properly torqued to the forks and there are no clearance or binding issues you should be able to position them where you like. The fully adjustable controls are one of the terrific, little noted, features of these bikes.

Ride well, docc

No offence, but I've noticed most Americans don't like their clip on positions unless they're set up like Chopper.

It's a European bike, designed in the traditional cafe style. What's next? You gonna put tassles on it? :lol:

I'm 5 11" 215 lbs and find the clip ons perfect, the wind blast with no fairing (V11 Sport) is perfect. I don't see why people make all these changes. It's like you bought a bike that you don't like. :blink: