More on raising handlebars

jrt

Bill,

Guzzis are about customizing, I've started to think of my bike as a kit that was just assembled to make it easier to ship. Some people raise the bars, some lower them. Paul M. is building a Ducati that looks like a Moto Guzzi. :D

As for Americans raising the bars, at least one reason Americans tend to look into higher bars is that we go to jail for speeds you might think are normal. Another is that we ride a long ways, it is about the same distance from San Diego to Oregon as from London to Guzzi HQ. You call it a continent, we call it a state. And yes, a diet rich in pizza and 'burgers doesn't help.

Cheers,

Lex (who is happy with the stock bars)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bill,

Not to criticize Europeans and no offense taken but alot of riders don't like the boy racer position and prefer comfort. In the US, we ride differently than in Europe. Terrain, laws and traffic dictate that. The chopper and tassle comment shows how your stereotype of Americans makes you look like what we consider our stereotype of "the superior european". Many of us want a standard bike, a Guzzi version of a BMW RT. Unfortunately it is not made so we must improvise.

So, think before you speak.

:doh:

Bottomline for me is if my wrists get tired, it is not safe to drive. Try braking for a hair pin turn going down a mountain road after six hours of riding. No pain, no pain, is my motto!

Also, I am recovering from a broken shoulder, so I do not want to stress the shoulder.

I like the stock clip on position, but only for about a couple hours of smooth roads.

If I had Popeye arms it would not be an issue. What works best for me is high but forward bars.

No sense in suffering bad ergonomics.

I can't wait to put the Centauro bars on!

Hi all,

i lowered my clop-ons today (thanks for the tip) And i am dutch so the theory americans versus europeans is valid for me!!

but soemthing else... i noticed a lott of americanswanting to make there guzzi faster!! but with your speedlimits isn't that a big speedingticket generator??? in holland in the city there's a 50 kmph speed limit which costed me to much money...

Jasper :nl:

I'm short, fat, bald and bowlegged and have two legs full of metal hardware as well as a bad shoulder and have had bi-lateral carpal tunnel surgeries and amazingly I find the riding position of my V11S just about ideal! Seriously. I am more comfy on it than I was on my '97 Cali.

On the V11S I am in a moderate forward lean that perfectly balances me in the wind between 40 and 100 mph. But around town it isn't enough of a lean to strain my beat up hands. The clip ons are wide and the factory position was a set of perfect angles for them. The pegs put my feet right under my center of gravity so my legs and thighs bear much of my weight and my tailbone doesn't even touch the seat. I feel well balanced on the bike and if I take a very short stretch at half a tank (Even a red light stop is enough!) I can ride the bike all day in good comfort.

Finally! A sport bike for fat cripples! :P:

Looking at the large fairing and redesigned bars on the Lemans and comparing it to my V11S makes me wonder if the fairing is TOO protective and will strain my wrists. Also, the bars aren't adjustable as they are on my bike. I don't know if I'd like the new position.

I for one can't complain. This bike fits me like a glove!

I took one last 60 mile ride today to help a friend work on his sidecar rig. Beautiful day! Now my bike is apart.

But in a week or so the new tires go on with RED wheels and the forks will be serviced as well!

Spring riding, here we come!

:mg:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dkgross

I fell in love with my LeMans on the test ride, but, being only 5'8" with really short arms and legs, I knew the 'stock' ergos would be unacceptable.

The adjustments to my bars and pegs made my bike complete for me. I'm comfortable on it, and if I want to 'tuck in' under the fairing I can. I can pretend to be a Euro Rider

:D

Well, Rich is on the right track, I'm just a bit taller but the handle bars had to go all the way out for me. I feel comfortable this way, seating is perfect and my longest trip so far was ca. 550 miles, no problem at all.

We Americans are just different :-))

Grtz,

Konrad

• 5 weeks later...

Jason, looks really good! I think the BMW fairing is just as nice as the (very expensive) Magni. And the handlebars: I bet it improves handling... And looks very nice too.

Thanks guys.

I'm using the Guzzi tank bag (Marsee?). Getting to the gas cap isn't a big deal, but getting the zipper started is sometimes a pain.

As far as handling goes, I'm not sure its "improved", but it is different. The front end feels a bit lighter now. Not surprising, since I've shifted my weight back a little bit. Still, it seems stable (and I've gone round some corners pretty quickly), so it'll work for me. I doubt that some of the faster (and younger) riders here would like it as much. Still, if anyone is interested, I'll be at a couple of the (midwest US) Moto Guzzi Rallies (IL, IA, WI), and I'd be happy to let ya'll ride it out and decide if its something you want to do.

And thanks about the fairing. That part I like a lot. It works too- hence the need to move my handlebars! BTW, I noticed that MGCycle sells repop LeMans I fairings. That would look pretty cool in a retro sort of way. Anyone thinking about giving it a go?

Cheers,

Jason

Hi Jaap,

not on the web. I made the same posting to the German V11 Forum.

Let´s see if we could gather some more info.

Enuma is a japanese compay, well-kown for their motorcycle chains.

Regards

Jan

• 2 years later...
Guest trispeed

I'm happy to report success with the 'convertiBars' arrangement. You can go anywhere from forward and down from stock to 4 inches up and back. $430 US including the longer clutch and brake lines. Brilliant!