Veglia Tach

Guest MikeC

Guest MikeC

Hello,

Is there a way to zero the tach? When the bike is shut-off the tach does nopt go down to it's rest or 0. Stays around then 300 RPM area.

Thanks,

Mike

Guest ratchethack

Unfortunately, that's just life in the land of Veglia Borletti, Mike. Nothing you can do about it except be thankful it works as well as it does - as long as it does. <_<

They seem to be fairly accurate at operating RPM, and with a fairly small percentage of exceptions, (my first one included <_< ) they actually seem to be fairly good instruments once they get past the infant mortality stage. Oh yeah - AND after you fix the bad grounds, fading needle paint, and cheesy bulb sockets. :whistle:

...yep, with the "Vague-lias" :P .... you got whatcha got :huh2:

I suppose you could tear it apart and try to fix it, but that would probably make things worse.

If it otherwise works fine, be happy. Or, you can watch for a used one on eBay every so often.

As pointed out, other than the needles fading, and the occasional bulb socket disintegrating, if they survive the first year, they'll probably last forever if left unmolested. It's when one starts fiddling with them that the bulb sockets fall apart, studs come loose, etc...

al

Guest bshpilot

isnt this somewhat the nature of all electric tach's ? (although i say that and other than my TRUCK, nothin else we own does it)

Guest MikeC

Thanks guys. I get the message don't screw with it. I'll look into routing a good ground.

Mike

Guest putt-meister

I had been told that the tachs like what is on my 03 V11 were prone to failure due to poor grounding. The ground wire was placed under one of the standoffs for the cover. I noticed that both of the standoffs were loose where they swage into the tach case and wondered if this is where the bad connection was coming from. Just in case, I ran a second ground to one of the two screws that hold the tach guts into the case. Figured it can't hurt.

Guest bshpilot
I had been told that the tachs like what is on my 03 V11 were prone to failure due to poor grounding. 

52876[/snapback]

im not sure FAILURE it the right word...my understanding is the are prone to "stop working" when the ground is lost...

Guest putt-meister

Thanks for the link to Carl's write-up. It appears that my observations were on track. :)

• 12 years later...

Tach failure, advanced course.

The tach on my '97 1100 Sport-i quit, mostly suddenly. I read everything, tried the grounding and fairy dust. I learned a few things, and one relevant thing; The only thing the case ground serves is the lamp. The electronics are 100% insulated from the case. In this case, the failure is at the tiny motor coil that drives the needle spindle. Unfortunately for me, the broken lead is the one from the center coming up the side of the windings so I have no free wire to resolder to. Were it the outside lead, I could unwind one wrap and recalibrate with the pot if necessary. I suppose I could measure wire and count turns, but i just don't have that in me.

Yet.