Rear Brake Disc warping?

Guest marcialc

Guest marcialc

Hi all,

Anyone had any problems with a strange warping sound when pushing the bike backwards?

Dealer says that it's probably caused by a warped rear disc. Use too much rear brake and the disc can potentially heat up too much and warp, thus rub on the pads when pushing the bike, thus causing the noise.

My scura has only 500 miles on it, I use at leat 75% front brake, and the noise has steadily increased over the past 3 weeks. The warped disc sounds fishy...

Another dude told me that the disc/brake pad noise is normal for Ducatis and Guzzis. He says that by tapping the rear brake twice in the morning, before starting the bike, disengages the brake pads and takes care of the problem. :blink:

Anyhow, the dealer is ordering a new rear disc on warranty. I'll have to wait till the 1000 mile checkup to have the new disc installed.

....anyone else have this problem?

...mine makes the exact same noise when rolling it backwards. I just assumed it was the pads rubbing the disc "backwards" and just.. well... making noise :huh:

Anyway, not a very technical answer, but then again it's midnight here, and I was just going to bed.... am tiiiired.

But seriously. If the disc were warped, you should feel a pulse through the brake. Admittedly, it would be harder to feel that through your boot than the front brake lever, but you should feel something. Mine has made this noise from day one, and then it goes away for a while.

Let us know what the dealer says, but so far mine hasn't been a problem other than the sound every so often when I roll it backwards.

al

Guest Jaap

I have exactly the same "phenomenon" as Al. I check the brake pads every once in a while, but can't see any abnormal wearing. However, on a german forum there were some complaints that rear brake pads were wearing exceptionally fast, even causing disc damage. So be alert!

Guest JohnInNH

Both the brand new V-11 Le Mans's at Marsh's made that sound when I moved them so I could test drive my bike.

A lot of disk brakes keep the pads resting lightly on the disk. When ya roll it backwards the pads shift a bit in the calipers and will make this noise.

I would not worry about this unless it gets real bad.

The tapping of the breaks is a viable solution as the caliper is the lowest point and as it rests the pads may drift closer to the disk. Tapping em would allow them to return... I think.. :unsure:

Guest v11eric

No worry's :mellow:

I hear this horrible noise for five years also on te centauro, and yes it are the brakepads get pushed back and come a bit loose. I use mine rearebrake alot(heritage of 8 years intergral braking) and never got any problems.

rearbraker

eric

01 V11 lemans

Guest marcialc

thanks for the info...now I'll sleep better at night.

:P i tried the two taps on the brake this morning...and I didn't hear a sound today...hmm :P

...but I'm still skeptical of the warped disc. :huh:

now if I can get only keep my pinky from going numb on long rides. -_-

Guest Jaap

Try wearing bicycle shorts. The (semi) leather padding provides an extra dampening. Works for me (and the misses... B) )

Guest Jaap

I haven't tried a gel glove on my *pinky* (could be a nice feeling :rolleyes: ) and apart from that, I don't think one fingered gel gloves are available... :blink:

Guest marcialc

ah yeah, I'm talking about the American version of "pinky"...although I'll keep the bycicle shorts in mind if the other 'pinky" goes numb :o

so, just got back from a ride over skyline to Alice's Restaurant...not much traffic today :D

no problems with the "pinky" although, the large bolt right above the right side foot peg came loose :angry: lucky I found it before it got worse <_<

hey al, how do you like those throttlemeisters? I'm considering getting them, the extra weight may help with the vibrations.

....ah, so you were up at Alices today eh? I was up there at about 8:30pm last Sunday night... but haven't been there yet with the LeMans when there was any crowd to speak of. I was the only bike, except for an old K75 or something.

Today we just hung around the house, and then we climbed up on the roof to watch the fireworks here in San Jose. Since I basically live downtown, it's a good show :D Tomorrow should be a good ride to Hollister though. Should be interesting.

Regarding that "other pinky"... and general long-distance comfort, check these out:

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

I bought a pair of the regular cotton and special "dryline" ones to give them both a try. They are both extremely comfortable, and either seems good enough for me in regard to dryness, etc. They are certainly better than standard undergarments. My butt used to go numb in places on my long 10+ hour days, but these seem much better without as many seams, etc. Anyway just something to check out.

...and yep, I'll let you know how the Throttlemeisters turn out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll fit. I ordered the "heavy" units, so that is going to be the best "vibe-cancellation" that I can get with them. So we'll see how well that works out too.

I'll keep you posted! :)

al

Guest marcialc

...ok see if you guys can relate;

started by meeting up with some friends and riding out to Berkeley to cruise the twisties up in the oakland hills. What a nice sunny day it was today. :D

got back to the foggy coastline :angry:

girlfriend's pissed cause I've been riding all holiday :blink:

agree to a picnic outing tommorrow up in Napa valley with some friends and their brand spanking new baby, mostly to keep the girlfriend happy :wub:

get a call from a buddy, inviting me to ride with them to Hollister...I think to myself... <_< ...me on a guzzi riding to Hollister with a pack of Harleys... B)

then I get the awful "oh shit" feeling when I remember I just agreed to spend the day up in Napa :angry:

proceed to graciously turn down the invitation from my buddy, whilst trying to save some face. :wacko:

oh well, there's always Sunday...and at least there's plenty of wine up in Napa :P

...boy I hate when that happens.

Guest dlaing

Happy Riding!

My dealer lubed the rear brakes pistons with wax type aerosol chain lube. That reduced the rubbing noise. Pumping the brakes before riding helps seat the brake pads and allows the brake fluid to better lube the seals.

For the front rotors, I thought they were warped but the dealer lubed the disk floaters and it immediately got better. Be sure to clean off extra lube as it may reduce your brakes effectiveness, and then drive carefully, testing the brakes when nobody is behind you...