'03 front forks

Zoom Zoom

A short time after getting my LM, I noticed there was no adjustment for compression. Looking in the manual, there is indication that it should have been there. Jason over at Speakers Cycle looked into it and said that is how it is supposed to be. Someone at the National said the same thing. Reference was made to fork diameter and such.

If I understand it all, the forks are a larger diameter on the '03 with a pre load adjustment and rebound adjustment. No compression adjustment.

I just kid of wondered if anybody knows the pros and cons of the change and before the change. Marzocchis.

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry

That's right... apparently with modern Guzzi(Marz) forks, you can have your cake, but ya can't eat it... well, all of it :P

Depending on year range, you either got assymetric rebound and compression adjustment, but no preload adjustability. Or you got preload and rebound, but no compression adjustment.

- 00-02 forks were Marzocchi 40mm, dual adjustable USD forks with Compression adjustability in the left leg, and Rebound on the right, if I recall correctly. But there was no preload adjustment.

- 03+ forks are Marzocchi upside-down fork, 43mm, extension(rebound)/preload adjustable, and have a newer large diameter hollow front axle. They apparently do not have compression adjustment.

The Ohlins equipped bikes have similar dimensions per model year, but are fully adjustable.

al

I have an 04 Lemans with the 43 mm Marzocchi fork and it's my understanding that the available adjustments are Spring preload (big nut on top) and Compression Damping (small screw adjuster). There is no rebound adjustment. The Ohlins fork has all three.

Rocketman

I have an 04 Lemans with the 43 mm Marzocchi fork and it's my understanding that the available adjustments are Spring preload (big nut on top) and Compression Damping (small screw adjuster).  There is no rebound adjustment.  The Ohlins fork has all three.

Rocketman

53684[/snapback]

You could be correct, I sometimes get the 03+ fork features juxtaposed in my mind :P

Here are the specs from the MG North America site for the 03+ forks:

Front suspension: Marzocchi USD fork, 43 mm compression/extension adjustable

Either way, you get "2 out of 3" with either year range <_>

al

Guest putt-meister

Also remember that Guzzi sales have been such that the actual model year and the claimed model year don't agree for some bikes. My "03" V11 Sport is really an 02 model and I believe the same is true of some 04's. My understanding is that there are no real 05 models, they are simply unsold 04's. <_<

Also remember that Guzzi sales have been such that the actual model year and the claimed model year don't agree for some bikes. My "03" V11 Sport is really an 02 model and I believe the same is true of some 04's. My understanding is that there are no real 05 models, they are simply unsold 04's. 

Does it matter? who needs a new bike with 20 small differences each year?

Guest putt-meister

It doesn't matter at all unless you are trying to sort out what your bike has versus what the model is supposed to have. One of the things that attracted me to Guzzi is that they have maintained most of the things I really like in a bike without adding all of the stuff I don't like or need (water, shim valve adjustments, ABS brakes, linked brakes, faring that are in the way and hide things, etc.) :bike:

These things seem to me to handle pretty well,do you really need compression adjusters? If you feel it diving on the brakes, just put thicker oil in. Suspension adjustment a lot of the time, I feel, is just a selling gimmick.For a bike used purely on the road,rear damper/spring changes to cover solo or pillion use would probably suit almost everyone. I do like twiddling the twirly bits myself tho

thanks to all for the info.

Big J, I was just trying to understand the differences. In any event, either model year can certainly exceed my capabilities. I only know that when the latest LeMans came out, I wanted one. I couldn't do it before now because I just bought the EV. I have a love afair going with that bike. Now I have this fiesty new Italian beauty to cheat with. :bier: As good as the Tonti is, The LeMans is all that and more. It's simply a blast to ride. Man, I hope the EV can't get jealous. :mg: I guess they are like Lays potato chips. Betcha can't have just one! :D

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry