Driving Lights

Guest russ

Just completed a recent project on my LeMans. As many of you know, the PIAA Driving lights (55w Halogens) are pretty pricey at around $300.00. :blink: I have an alternative. Wally World (aka Wal-Mart) known for mutant type employees and customers (Have you ever been in one at 11 pm?) :P sells a PIAA Knockoff for under $29.00. Same 55watt Halogen, looks the same, only the housing is plastic, not aluminum. Add to it the Pilot Light wiring kit w/solenoid switch, relay and fuse block (I got mine at Autozone for $20.00) and you have a PIAA Knockoff for less than $50.00 :thumbsup:

Boy do they light up the road! :mg:

post-8-1044501854_thumb.jpg

That looks pretty cool! I have a pair myself like that. I haven't gotten around to milling the mounts for them yet though. I was going to mount them to brackets on the fasteners that bolt the oil cooler to the frame.

My one concern is will a pair of extra 55 watt lamps overwhelm the alternator?

My e-vest draws about 50 watts. I have used it on all day rides with no ill effect. But a pair of these is over double the draw of my e-vest! Have you looked at it hard to see if the output will handle it?

Guest Phil/TX

Russ, I'd like to see that applacation with the lights off, and show me the mounting, and of course test drive them for awhile, and let us know about the power draw on the electrics. I have heated grips, that draw 5 amps, these lights draw about .....what 4.5 amps? What is the capacity of the alternator? I'd love to have lights like that, but don't want to shut down in the middle of a cold night. :bike: