03 scura 498

davidmcm

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found the TBs went out of synch pretty often early on during break-in.  The bike would get real nasty vibrations. ...  TB synching makes a huge difference in perceived vibrations and character.

55018[/snapback]

Probably what's happening with mine. Vibration increased hugely when I put on Stucchi & straight through pipes. As you say, it's actually pretty nasty when riding. Bike feels like it's beating itself up.

So I need to get a Carbtune?

Belfastguzzi, you asked if you need a Carbtune?, I've never seen one, if I did I wouldn't know what is was any rate. What I use to balance my throttle bodies is very basic. Thanks to IanJ for this tip. I bought 8 metres of plastic tubing, sucked some water into it, marked it's halfway point and made this mark the base of a "U" bend, added a few wraps of insulation tape here and there. Hang it over the rafters, marked the water level then put the brass fittings back into the inlet tracts which had been removed along with the rest of the pollution control gear. Push the tubing onto these and that's it. After setting valve clearances and checking the TPS setting was correct, I used the air bleed screws to get an even vacuum at idle then using my cold start lever to get a consistent throttle setting around 3000rpm I used the white knob on the throttle linkage for adjusting the balance to get another consistent vacuum. It took quite a bit of chasing to get the vacuum correct at both idle and at 3000rpm. Pretty basic but so functional. I never noticed mine being any smoother afterwards but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Rob

homemade_manometer.JPG

...Vibration increased hugely when I put on Stucchi & straight through pipes. As you say, it's actually pretty nasty when riding. Bike feels like it's beating itself up....

You fitted Ti kit ECU? After Ti kit & ECU on mine it ran very rich. Motor felt very lumpy. Not sure if it's same on yours. Try swapping between original/kit ECUs.

Original ECU gave smoother running w/Ti cans, but now got kit ECU + PC111 & dyno run - runs good.

KB

Davidmcm,

Scura can be got to run good stock.

I think I was lucky - mine ran pretty good from shop. Only 4K flatspot & hesitation/surging on trailing throttle @ 5K. I know nothing about setting FI but Baldrick at Corsa got shot of the 5K hesitation completely & improved flatspot, just by fiddling with (presumably) TPS & TB. It was very rideable & still stock.

I run it on Optimax etc.

From new it wouldn't turn in smooth, pushed wide, slid, wallowed etc.

Turn in & cornering improved dramatically with Diablos (esp using 170/60 rear). Also grip. Back end does move around & grippier tyres makes it feel much more secure.

V11 carries wt to far back. I dropped yokes about 1/2" on forks. Big improvement in corners.

There's no point in giving susp settings I use as every bike/rider's different. But I did find that upping front rebound & rear preload were helpful. Odd if you don't have damping adjusters on forks. Compression is behind fork lower legs, pointing slightly down. Rebound is in fork top nuts. Both are 3mm socketheads. Pos someone's rounded them off?

Dan's spot on re suspension. I'm about 200lb - could only set sag by upping f preload to max. New springs (10 from 8.5 f & 100 from 85 r) = huge difference: I could drop preload so spring worked across it's range. But shock needs revalving for less high speed compression damping. Works great on track/smooth but harsh on bumpy roads. I haven't got round to this. Probably fork too. I've used Kais in Manchester (01942896366 - Nick) for Ohlins bits & advice & plan to get the bike there one day to get work done.

As others said, over 10K miles motor smoothed out (just like they always did). I was pretty happy with the bike it was good to ride, made me smile most times. but wanted a bit more.....

MG Ti cans/ECU kit = more punch but running very rich. Set valve clearances to raceco spec, fitted Stucchi xover, K&N, drilled airbox lid, PC11usb. Mike at Moto Corsa set the TPS/TB. Did dyno run. More power, more torque throughout. Pulls good flat curve from 2.5k to red line, no flatspots but still picks up around 5-6K. Lot of the time I leave it in top. I'm very happy.

It's a big, heavy bike, weight's too far back, heavy drive box, & crude, too short s/a design. IMO frame isn't as strong as Tonti. New Breva box & long s/a & drive shows way to go. It's cost me almost £2k in bits & dyno time.

But I'm happy with the Scura. It's a Guzzi. It works well, it's comfortable, runs like a train, handles pretty good, brakes, goes well & I love it. Resale doesn't matter to me - I see it longterm.

Why you selling the bike anyhow? How many miles you put on it?

KB :sun:

man, let her go.

You will make someone else VERY happy, & as you have pointed out, you got better out of your V7...so go with that & try something else.

I could not fault my Scura....after owning 916s, KTM Dukes, BMW 1100s etc etc

But on the other hand I don't think I could help you, because your bike primarily sounds like mine (without bits breaking off though - phew).

I would however call my bike smooth, tractable, great sweeper handling, small flt spot easy to ride around....

you know....it's probbaly the Supermoto influence that make me think the bike is soooo smoooth ...

ride on :mg:

Thanks everbody for taking the time to reply, if I can't sell the Scura in the next few weeks (and all the signs indicate that this is so given the deathly silence on my phone) then you have given me food for thought and a ray of hope.

David (who actually likes Guzzis and has enjoyed them continuously since the mid seventies).

David, perhaps you could take a trip over to the east with your bike (I'm only 45 mins from Glasgow) and we could do a direct comparison. My scura has most of the necessary mods (x-over, PC111, etc) and I am now quite happy with the handling and power (although there is no such thing as too much power :) ).

Disappointedly I am selling my  carrot.

David

54899[/snapback]

BTW, is your Scura No 498, as per your title?

Was your's sold/described as a 2003 model, as per your title?

I wonder where you got it? Mine is No 497 and was bought in England, October 2003. When I first enquired at the dealer, by phone, there were 2 Scuras. I suppose that the other one might possibly have been 496 or 498.

BTW, is your Scura No 498, as per your title?

Was your's sold/described as a 2003 model, as per your title?

I wonder where you got it? Mine is No 497 and was bought in England, October 2003. When I first enquired at  the dealer, by phone, there were 2 Scuras. I suppose that the other one might possibly have been 496 or 498.

55339[/snapback]

Que swelling music-

da da daaa da da

"BROTHER!!!"

Belfast Guzzi, I dont know why the others have taken such a critical path, perhaps its self projection on how they see things.

The value for me in your question is that if your 497 scura was built at virtually the same time as mine then it may be closest in spec and therefore useful in comparison, hence the reason I submitted the number.

It came from ON YER BIKE, in England. Does yours display the appalling lack of quality of mine?

regards

David

...the appalling lack of quality ...

??? :huh2:

You complain that it vibrates, suspension is badly set up & it has a flatspot. All these things can, to a large extent be sorted as outlined in posts by Dan, Jason etc. above.

I have Scura #484 also from OYB. Mine had similar problems + others. It's a Guzzi - what did you expect??? it requires owner input, you must know that after years of Tonti involvement! What's the problem?

KB :sun:

thanks baldini

I have received quite a number of constructive comments on how to improve my £8000 motorcyle and have no problem trying out these solutions as all are within my mechanical capabilities and I am fortunate to be able to afford the recommended modifications suggested by enthusiastic members on this very helpful website.

I dont have a problem, no sir.

David