Post a pic of your V11 - No words

orangeokie

2 hours ago, KINDOY2 said:

The fires are impacting me and my family heavily..the smoke is awful and I have asthma..so cant open the windows or go outside..plus its been 90 degree's almost every day.

Man, I’m really sorry to hear that. I have family on the peninsula and they’re hurting. Stay safe.

The photo was taken on Treasure Island in San Francisco...the fake money was already laying there on the ground from someone else.

Nice. For the scores of times that I traveled over the Bay Bridge, I’ve never stopped off on Treasure Island. Next time I’m stopping.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 5:36 PM, jtucker said:

Not entirely sure. MG Cycle still shows it as a special order item:
http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5031

I read something about Moto Spezial going defunct and production of the sump being picked up by another company, perhaps these guys:
http://radicalguzzi.com/motor_getriebe# (scroll down on the page and you'll find the sump).

One thing to keep in mind if you pursue it is... you must be willing to discard your oil cooler, as there is no way to connect it to this sump. However, this sump hold a greater volume than stock, and has more surface area for cooling. Also, I had to get someone to fabricate an adapter for the oil breather return on the rear of the sump as the V11 return and the sump (which was originally designed for earlier models) have different sized connections.

__Jason

Re: the deep V sump

One other detail I forgot to mention... if you do install such a sump, the stock V11S sidestand doesn't work great. You *can* use it... temporarily, and I did for a while... but it loses one of the mounting points, and it puts undue strain on the sidestand bracket, which eventually could fail, which... you don't want. I used the stock sidestand only long enough to source a different one (from a wrecked Daytona, if memory serves). And to complicate things a bit further, once you install an older sidestand (on the older-style V sump), you now lose any ability to fit the sidestand safety switch. I retained my sidestand switch, but put it in the "up" position, and zip-tied it up out of the way. So, effectively, no more safety switch for me. Which means, you need to become religious about checking and re-checking your sidestand position before taking off, unless the sidestand is also auto-retracting... which I dislike.

OK, back to posting "no words" in this thread :)

__Jason

3 hours ago, jtucker said:

Re: the deep V sump

One other detail I forgot to mention... if you do install such a sump, the stock V11S sidestand doesn't work great. You *can* use it... temporarily, and I did for a while... but it loses one of the mounting points, and it puts undue strain on the sidestand bracket, which eventually could fail, which... you don't want. I used the stock sidestand only long enough to source a different one (from a wrecked Daytona, if memory serves). And to complicate things a bit further, once you install an older sidestand (on the older-style V sump), you now lose any ability to fit the sidestand safety switch. I retained my sidestand switch, but put it in the "up" position, and zip-tied it up out of the way. So, effectively, no more safety switch for me. Which means, you need to become religious about checking and re-checking your sidestand position before taking off, unless the sidestand is also auto-retracting... which I dislike.

OK, back to posting "no words" in this thread :)

__Jason

All of these things in combination have stopped me from using one of these deep sumps although I like them very much. The other issue is you lose your oil cooler and can only fit one via a fairly untidy oil filter sandwich plate and AN fitting hoses. The best way around the side stand issue is the weld a machined lug onto the side of the sump for the original style V11 stand bracket which incidentally comes in 2 versions, 1 with a 6mm bolt and the later type with an 8mm bolt. 

Even in European traffic the engine will get hot with one of these sumps with the extra capacity and paul Daytona has fitted a cooler as well on his Daytona. He has also used the daytona bracket without the additional bolt for years without an issue apparently.

In my view the sidestand cutout is a mandatory function, either that or the less appealing self retracting side stand. It only takes one lapse to cause a nasty and very possibly fatal accident. I've witnessed one and heard of others over the years.

Ciao   

• Thanks 1

The sidestand I have does auto-retract... but I generally defeat that by putting it down by hand and allowing the spring to bypass the bit its normally supposed to catch on. I've gotten pretty good at double (and triple) checking before I set off. But, I certainly understand the concern. There have been times in the past where I forgot... briefly... until getting an uncomfortable, but harmless reminder, which is why I'm quite paranoid about it now.

As for the oil cooler, I was happy to see it go. No issues so far, including being stuck in stop-n-go traffic on a hot day. And my engine is... shall we say, "hotter than stock".

But yes, that was the message I definitely wanted to convey. They are not "plug-n-play", and there are trade-offs. One very big benefit, however, is that you would need to run the oil extremely low before you start risking cavitation. I know things such as the Roper plate help address that as well, though. The oil sight glass window is a nice-to-have feature as well :)

__Jason

1 hour ago, jtucker said:

The sidestand I have does auto-retract... but I generally defeat that by putting it down by hand and allowing the spring to bypass the bit its normally supposed to catch on. I've gotten pretty good at double (and triple) checking before I set off. But, I certainly understand the concern. There have been times in the past where I forgot... briefly... until getting an uncomfortable, but harmless reminder, which is why I'm quite paranoid about it now.

As for the oil cooler, I was happy to see it go. No issues so far, including being stuck in stop-n-go traffic on a hot day. And my engine is... shall we say, "hotter than stock".

But yes, that was the message I definitely wanted to convey. They are not "plug-n-play", and there are trade-offs. One very big benefit, however, is that you would need to run the oil extremely low before you start risking cavitation. I know things such as the Roper plate help address that as well, though. The oil sight glass window is a nice-to-have feature as well :)

__Jason

Yes thats the best part.

Ciao

43 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

That ain't yours is it?

Sprint Speciale I am told by a fellow Duc rider.

Oh, my no. A fellow I know who gave me permission to get that close. Maybe the most beautiful Alfa ever, the Sprint Speciale by Bertone.

Or, as my friend likes to say, “Bert One.” :grin:

• Like 4